Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Toiveling electrical appliances

amother

Post Wed, Jan 17 2007, 4:00 pm
I understand that most poskim hold nowadays that pop-up toasters, etc., have to be toiveled............anyone have apprehension about this besides ME?

su7kids

Post Wed, Jan 17 2007, 4:02 pm
I don't think anything with electricity in should be toiveled. I think you should ask your rav again.

If you have a toaster oven, the metal pieces should be toiveled, but certainly not a toaster.

mimsy7420

Post Wed, Jan 17 2007, 4:02 pm
I was told NOT to toivel electrical appliances since electrical appliances SHOULD NOT be immersed in water. IT IS DANGEROUS!!!!

amother

Post Wed, Jan 17 2007, 4:03 pm
um, dear, you will ruin the toaster if you toivel it and who said that you toivel electrical appliences. I never have and I know that you dont have to. do you toivel a microwave? and which rabbaim hold that?

mummy-bh

Post Wed, Jan 17 2007, 4:11 pm
amother wrote:
um, dear, you will ruin the toaster if you toivel it and who said that you toivel electrical appliences. I never have and I know that you dont have to. do you toivel a microwave? and which rabbaim hold that?

Well, amother, dear, you only have to toivel things that TOUCH food, like plates, cutlery, etc. You don't toivel microwaves, or for that matter regular ovens or sinks or your kitchen cupboards or your fridge, as they are not used in the preparation of food.

As for electrical appliances, like kettles or toasters, I've heard opinions both for and against. Ask your Rav (and if he says yes, ask for practical suggestions, like leaving the appliance to dry thoroughly for 2 weeks or something).

shalhevet

Post Wed, Jan 17 2007, 4:11 pm
Of course you have to toivel a toaster, electric kettle, sandwich maker etc ( a microwave does not come into direct contact with the food; you use a plate/ dish etc).

The best solution is that an appliance only has to be toivelled if a non-Jew made it into a kli (utensil). Find a frum professional electrician and have him take the appliance apart in such a way that only an expert can re-assemble it. (ie it doesn't help for a well-meaning handyman/ husband to do so). He then reassembles it and, voila, now a Jew has made it into a kli so it doesn't need toivelling anymore.

amother

Post Wed, Jan 17 2007, 5:45 pm
mummy-bh, this "do you toivel a microwave?" was a rhetorical question.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics