Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
13 yo ds telling stories-lying

amother

Post Tue, Jul 30 2013, 10:03 pm
Until now I mostly don't indicate to him that I don't believe the stories. Wwyd. He mostly make them up to prove his point in a discussion.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jul 30 2013, 11:09 pm
DD does this too. It drives me crazy, but I don't let her know that. I just act bored and go "Hmm, OK..."

If I don't give her a reaction she tends to cut the story short and change the subject. If I react in any way at all, she can go on and on for hours, making it bigger and more exciting by the minute.

You've got to give them credit, they're creative! Rolling Eyes

Whatever you do, DON'T call him a liar. If you have to call him out, tell him that "he's telling stories".

Redbird

Post Tue, Jul 30 2013, 11:45 pm
I don't have any kids at that stage yet, but I was just watching Dr. Phil on youtube, and he says to ask them why they feel the need to lie.

Don't know if that was a help...

Raizle

Post Wed, Jul 31 2013, 1:31 am
is it a damaging lie that affects others or is he just using his imagination to tell stories?

DD has a friend who always has such fascinating stories and at first we believed her stories and cracked up at some of them but after a while it started to become obvious that she simply has a hilarious imagination.
I don't think it's a bad thing. she'll probably grow to be someone with a huge personality that cracks people up. Maybe she'll be an author or something.

If on the other hand he is twisting stories to get his way, win a fight, get someone else in trouble, get himself out of trouble then that's a whole other story

tzfatisha

Post Wed, Jul 31 2013, 5:36 am
since yr ds obviously has a great imagination you can say that you know he wishes that certain situations instead of being like y could be like x and so he sometimes tells a story the way he wished it had happened.
tell him that this is what great writers do.
so u can suggest he channels it by ask him to make up stories to tell other children. let him know that writers of stories can make money writing and suggest he can enter writing competitions etc..
you can let him know that you want him to tell the truth about the every day things in regular life but that when he wants to tell it 'as if..' he needs to let you know that this is a 'made up' story or a 'as if...' story and he can ask your opinion as to how to improve the story.. etc...

amother

Post Wed, Jul 31 2013, 8:29 am
I was like your son when I was a kid, I told stories and lied without a second thought. When my Mom called me out on it I would just get defensive and stubborn and stick to my story. As I grew older and more mature I slowly stopped. I think you should just let it go, unless it's a lie that can cause harm. He'll grow out of it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics