Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Japanese straightening (my covered) hair?

amother

Post Tue, Aug 20 2013, 3:48 pm
Before I got married I had beautiful curly hair. It took maintenance (gel etc) but my hair was great.
I cover my hair all the time (even when I'm home), so by default my hair isn't taken care of (because it's always covered).
But I always feel bad that when I wake up in the morning, I look horrible, or during intimacy, my hair is gross. I can't spend the time straightening my hair e/day. And gel needs time to dry-- I don't have time for that either (b/c my hair would have to be uncovered).

I wanted to know if anyone has japanese straightened their hair after they got married. I figured this way I'd have perfectly straight hair all the time (instead of my frizzy flattened curly hair)without maintenance and could look pretty for dh.

pros? cons? advice? anyone with experience?

thanks!

amother

Post Tue, Aug 20 2013, 3:59 pm
I've heard the chemicals involved are carcinogenic.
My hair dresser refuses to do them. He does something called a keratin treatment instead, which uses natural substances.

greenfire

Post Tue, Aug 20 2013, 4:06 pm
know what you mean - it gets all out of sorts being covered ... but I would just blow dry it once in a while ...

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Aug 20 2013, 5:29 pm
when you do the japanese straightening, you have to let your hair hang down for a couple days after. so it's not worth it if you have to shove a covering on after. if you want your hair straight, look up ways to pin it flat to your head to maintain it. I have no knowledge of curly hair maintenance, so no advice for curls.

greenfire

Post Tue, Aug 20 2013, 5:44 pm
curls need gels & mousse & all sorts of products to condition it ... then again they won't stay if you cover it flat between hair wash & whatever

amother

Post Tue, Aug 20 2013, 6:03 pm
I've got Japanese straightenings a few times since I've been married. I only did it for dh who complained how pretty I looked before marriage and now have such a different look post marriage. It makes me feel good abt myself when I uncover now. It's hard to feel and look good when your hair is covered.

amother

Post Tue, Aug 20 2013, 6:44 pm
I've done it. Works great, I feel better about myself and planning to go for another one shortly.

nyer1

Post Tue, Aug 20 2013, 7:12 pm
Try Brazilian keratin instead. It's less harsh , costs less, looks more natural and takes less time to process

amother

Post Tue, Aug 20 2013, 8:16 pm
I did the keratin this year. In the past I had may in my single and early marriage days (5 I think).

The keratin kept my hair stick straight for almost a year. It works great BUT

I don't plan on doing it ever again.

The chemicals are Very Harsh. It was worse than traditional straightening for me at least.

A traditional kind they put it on, let it sit and wash it out right away. You can t wash it for a few days after.

The keratin gets put on, let it sit then they blow dry it onto your hair in all its smelly goo-ey gross-ness. And you have to leave it in a few days. And you need to keep your hair straight - so no wig, just tichel or snood with gymnastics (no elastics).

They recommend you only use special very expensive shampoo the whole time (I didn't, I used regular inexpensive shampoo).

What happened was for me the chemicals on my hair gave my back of my neck a real nasty rash, the skin was really weird and didn't start going away until a few months of washing with not their shampoo. So I would never do it again. All my regular chemicals agreed with me fine on my 5 previous straightenings.

Also some of the women at my salon who work there get really annoyed every time someone gets keratin because they say it is so unhealthy for them to inhale and they don't mind all the hair dye chemicals at all.

Anyway that's my experience. I usually just use a blow dryer when my hair is semi dry and I got ne with a comb attachment so it does get it straight enough pretty quickly.

amother

Post Tue, Aug 20 2013, 9:17 pm
I've been doing Japanese straightening for 8 years now. I do it approx every 6 months. For approx 4 days, you may not get your hair wet, so use a shower cap.

It's very important to use a very good conditioner every time you shampoo. The best one is ER, I think it's made in Japan.

The best and most inexpensive place is in Queens. If you like, I can post the address and phone number. A lot of our homies go there. LOL

If your hair is a bit past your shoulders, the price will be approx $180 or so.

The place in Queens sells that conditioner. It's $35 or $40 for the jar but WELL worth the money.

bookish

Post Tue, Oct 08 2013, 11:08 pm
Have any of you keratin people had problems with the mikvah? I just got the keratin treatment done, loving it, but the stylist told me to avoid cholorine, as it strips the product from my hair. Well, the mikvah has chlorine, so that's just going to have to happen. She said that if I do go swimming, I should use a leave in conditioner to protect my hair, but in conditioners are also no-nos for the mikvah. What do you all do?

amother

Post Tue, Oct 08 2013, 11:21 pm
The karitan is very strong while getting done. Eyes tearing bearly able to breath It also makes hair. Very oily. I never had oily hair before. But on the bright side it takes the frizz out of hair and straightens it by seventy percent.
Good luck

amother

Post Wed, Oct 09 2013, 5:57 am
op here
I have very thin hair--I heard jap'ing hair makes you loose hair. should I not do it with thin hair?

also, is there a product that can be bought from a pharmacy (or online) that straightens hair?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics