Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Help me evaluate her

amother

Post Wed, Oct 09 2013, 11:23 am
My 6year old daughter is an extremely difficult child. She has many behavioral issues, she gets irritated at the slightest, and many more that I just cannot explain.
Can she be evaluated? How do they see wrong behavior if this behavior is mostly at homeAnd not at school/between friends?
Also, where do I go for this?

I'm in Brooklyn. Thank you!

amother

Post Wed, Oct 09 2013, 11:45 am
I had my son evaluated by a neurologist at the age of 6. I took this route because of insurance. Therapy had to be referred. He ended up going to OT which helped a lot.

I told his teachers what was happening because he needed to miss class for meetings.
They never saw what I saw.

marina

Post Wed, Oct 09 2013, 1:42 pm
Write a letter to the Board of Ed of your school district. Do not call right away, first write a letter and be sure to date and sign it.

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Oct 09 2013, 1:44 pm
call one of the agencies. omni comes to mind. they will write the letter for you if you want. you can also discuss with them what kind of therapy might help your child.

greenfire

Post Wed, Oct 09 2013, 3:32 pm
the Board of Education is the way to go ... the evaluation should then be fully covered cost-wise ... keep in mind there's usually a long waiting list for appointments - but it would be so for any neurologist

good luck !!!

amother

Post Wed, Oct 09 2013, 4:04 pm
I really don't mean to undermine your concerns, but I don't see how getting irritated easily is "wrong behaviour". I genuinely appreciate that there is more to the story, but I would take comfort from the fact that she is fine at school and with friends. Just be careful with labelling children so quickly. Every child goes through funny phases and people express feelings in all sorts of ways. Also have you talked to her about if anything is upsetting her?

amother

Post Wed, Oct 09 2013, 8:40 pm
I am having my son evaluated by a developmental pediatrician, based on my pediatricians recommendation when I described all his behavioral issues. Takes months to get an appt. though, I'm still waiting, so I can't tell you much info. (he also has problem behaviors at home, but is fine in school)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics