Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
How do you say this to a jewish OB/GYN??
Previous  1  2

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Oct 09 2013, 7:47 am
amother wrote:
I had 6 pregnancies and I've used quite a few doctors in Manhattan. They all used the word relations. One of them by mistake said s-x. I thought it was a bit inappropriate and unprofessional, though.
What exactly was inappropriate about using the word s@x when that was exactly what he was talking about? Scratching Head

smss

Post Wed, Oct 09 2013, 7:49 am
OP I don't think I really understand your dilemma. just use whatever word you're comfortable using. (and please don't say "physical activity" Rolling Eyes )

amother

Post Wed, Oct 09 2013, 8:39 am
My RE uses the word intercourse and so do the nurses. One of the drs there r frum, he too uses intercourse!!

Happy18

Post Wed, Oct 09 2013, 8:56 am
m in Israel wrote:
Happy18 wrote:
Why can't you just say s-x? Maybe I'm indelicate, but I think that when asking medical questions one should be as clear as possible.

And how is s-x any more clear than "intercourse"? Or even "marital relations"? (I agree the "physical activity" line is not a good idea, as it is vague, but these two are just as clear and may feel more comfortable for some people as there are less cultural and slangy implications associated with them)

As someone going through fertility treatments for several years I often have to ask if we can be intimate many times. I have found that its best to be as clear as possible. Being intimate does not have to mean that there will be actual penetration.

amother

Post Wed, Oct 09 2013, 9:36 am
I think an org@sm is the real issue. is that what your referring to?

Shana_H

Post Wed, Oct 09 2013, 2:12 pm
justforfun87 wrote:
You do realize he will be between your legs eventually and all sense of modesty will go out the window. That being said you can word it like " I have a history of preterm labor due to physical activity." He will probably ask you if you mean relations and then you can nod yes. He will also probably tell you to avoid the deed at some point.

Reading your response and seeing the phrase 'physical activity' a picture of the OP high up on the flying trapeze came to mind!

Shana_H

Post Wed, Oct 09 2013, 2:14 pm
watergirl wrote:
My obgyn is frum and he calls it "the wild thing". True story.

And we call it "making whooppie"

amother

Post Wed, Oct 09 2013, 4:02 pm
Shana_H wrote:
watergirl wrote:
My obgyn is frum and he calls it "the wild thing". True story.

And we call it "making whooppie"
thats what our frum urologist called it

forever21

Post Wed, Oct 09 2013, 6:41 pm
I think she was joking when she said he should be reported to the medical board.

Kfar

Post Wed, Oct 09 2013, 10:23 pm
why are you intending to tell him this at all? did someone tell you to "abstain"? has this happened to you before? did you read about this in a book and feel you need to warn the doctor that this could happen? sorry, I am not seeing the point here . . . but in any event I don't think he will feel offended by your choice of words.

imasoftov

Post Thu, Oct 10 2013, 7:47 am
doctorima wrote:
imasoftov wrote:
amother wrote:
I had 6 pregnancies and I've used quite a few doctors in Manhattan. They all used the word relations. One of them by mistake said s-x. I thought it was a bit inappropriate and unprofessional, though.

You should report him to the medical board.

Whoa! The ob used the word relations, and he should be reported to the medical board!? Even if she would have preferred he use another term, that seems like quite an overreaction, given that there's nothing else to indicate that he did anything that deserves to be punished or sanctioned.

Authorities 'use analytics tool that recognises sarcasm'

French company Spotter has developed an analytics tool that claims to be able to identify sarcastic comments posted online

amother

Post Thu, Oct 10 2013, 8:45 am
Any word that makes it clear when you mean is fine. S-x, intercouse, marital relations... Remember that this OB will have non-Jewish patients too and wil be used to "it" being referred to in all these ways (multiple times daily too so e's not going to go home and obsess over which word was used by a particular patient.)

He won't be thinking that you should be using a different word just because you're Jewish.

And as other have said, don't say physical activity because if he tells you not to lift heavy shopping bags up the stairs you're going to find it even more awkward to explain what you really mean.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics