Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Letting kids use the internet

amother

Post Thu, Oct 10 2013, 4:23 pm
My kids schools and our Rabbi rule that they should not use the internet at home. My husband is very strict on this, but I am abit more lenient, eg I will put on some games or video under my supervision. Most of the kids friends use the internet, even some frummer than us and I cant understand it. I would be afraid to leave the kids with you tube and G-d knows what they could access. Does anyone else not let their kids use the internet? What do your kids do then? Are there computer games that dont require the web?

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Oct 10 2013, 4:28 pm
Every family has to decide these things for themselves, and be consistent about it. What someone else does shouldn't influence how you feel about what you do for your family.

I let my 10yo DD use my computer sometimes, but it's in the kitchen. I always take a break so I can pull up a chair and keep her company. She likes to show me how she plays her games, and we watch My Little Pony or Little House on the Prairie together. We have a great time discussing the shows, what middos they represent, and how to handle different situations. My DD has problems with social skills, so these exercises are extremely important for her.

I am in no way saying that this would be right for you, or anyone else. I never look down on others because they do or do not allow internet.

amother

Post Thu, Oct 10 2013, 4:33 pm
I guess I'm just looking to see if we are being unreasonable, which will eventually backfire on us because they will have the desire to use the internet more. I feel like theres something I'm missing.

amother

Post Sun, Oct 13 2013, 5:09 pm
honestly, I wish I had never let my teenager use the internet in her life. She has gotten into trouble twice now doing things she was not allowed to do. The first time was a HUGE disaster and she ended up in therapy. This time she is just in trouble and will not be allowed back on the internet except to do some online classes she takes.

I used to poo poo all the anti- modern life things that were put out there but now I wish I hadn't and had realized that they were right and there is just TOO much stuff out in internetland for kids to get into trouble with.

amother

Post Sun, Oct 13 2013, 5:17 pm
amother wrote:
honestly, I wish I had never let my teenager use the internet in her life. She has gotten into trouble twice now doing things she was not allowed to do. The first time was a HUGE disaster and she ended up in therapy. This time she is just in trouble and will not be allowed back on the internet except to do some online classes she takes.

I used to poo poo all the anti- modern life things that were put out there but now I wish I hadn't and had realized that they were right and there is just TOO much stuff out in internetland for kids to get into trouble with.

I agree. Internet is poison. Ds and dd teenagers got on trouble and just plain ruin their mind. Big mistake and heartbreaking.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics