Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Need a school for my ds in bklyn

amother

Post Mon, Oct 14 2013, 9:14 pm
My sons school basically told me this year that he's not "making it" in there school. Perhaps, they tell me he needs a special program. Although they cant exactly pinpoint what the issue is he struggles with chumash and mishnayos. This ds of mine has always been a big question mark for me. He was born with a heart condition had it repaired...definitely delayed as a baby. HAs had every therapy since birth. Although he has no drive, motivation to study...he manages to get good grades in English...his spelling and writing is atrocious. He has a lot of difficulty with milim but he can read.
I had him evaluated..a full work up, had him tested for any genetic abnormalities all negative b"h and the neuro psych told me nothing I didn't already know...he's a smart kid with some issues. I was told he does not have any major learning disabilities, he does not need a special school but his school wants me to send him to one. I cant send him to a new regular school bc he would fail socially...any ideas?

Fabulous

Post Mon, Oct 14 2013, 9:18 pm
have you tried Ruach chaim or bnei torah?

Both cater to out of the box thinkers and learners in small individualized environments

amother

Post Mon, Oct 14 2013, 9:20 pm
You try to talk to your current school. Tell them you will provide help outside of school so he doesn't fall that behind grade level but he does not need to be getting straight A's. You had him evaluated by professionals who said he should not be in any special program. If he pulls medium grades it is good enough between you and them. Tell them it would be detrimental to pull him out of his social environment to start new somewhere else. If they can just aim for your son to learn mediocre, not be a disruptive discipline problem, get along with his peers and muddle through for now until things improve with the help he will get outside of school.

amother

Post Mon, Oct 14 2013, 9:26 pm
My ds's struggle with Limudei Kodesh in similar fashion while doing well in English. What helped a LOT is having ds learn a few times a week with adults and learn a bit ahead of the class. Milim get there on easier areas but where it is more difficult the milim don't get memorized too well but I know mine have an issue with memorizing rote "labeling". I put more emphasis on content of the understanding - if they know that - they are learning successfully. I had issues with certain rebbeim and staff but I explained this is my child, they are challenged in an area or two but overall smart. I won't put all the focus on milim if they are otherwise learning well.

amother

Post Mon, Oct 14 2013, 9:44 pm
Fabulous wrote:
have you tried Ruach chaim or bnei torah?

Both cater to out of the box thinkers and learners in small individualized environments

bnei torah doesn't have students old enough to learn mishnayos.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics