Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Should I send my dd??
Previous  1  2  3  4

greenfire

Post Thu, Oct 24 2013, 2:41 pm
the important thing is that nobody makes a shidduch with a zombie ~ well mostly because they might eat your brain for nourishment & know your inner secrets

DrMom

Post Thu, Oct 24 2013, 2:46 pm
Sorry, Dolly, I think you're being paranoid. Whether it's a good idea to allow a 15-yo girl to go to an amusement park is debateable, but your reasoning -- which I see you've now extended to any non-married Jewish frum girl -- is truly paranoid.

And what makes you think it's at all probable that a non-Jewish teenage boy is going to be interested in a frum girl? And ask her for her phone number? And that she'd be so lacking in common sense as to give it to him? I think the probability of any of these events -- let alone all 3 -- occuring is pretty remote.

vintagebknyc

Post Thu, Oct 24 2013, 4:34 pm
boro parker wrote:
My parents didn't let me join such trips as a kid, and now as an adult I don't resent it at all. I think it was very responsible of them.

it's possible you're the only one. congrats!

greenfire

Post Thu, Oct 24 2013, 4:42 pm
we used to go on trips ... you think anybody who came with us cared what we did - or checked up on us ... the worst thing I remember my friends doing was cutting people in line ... yeah offensive I know

amother

Post Thu, Oct 24 2013, 5:38 pm
Dolly, take your foot out of your mouth before you choke on it.

chatouli

Post Thu, Oct 24 2013, 5:54 pm
If fright fest is really full of drunk, dangerous weirdos, then I can totally understand not letting a young teen go. I wouldn't either. I have no experience with fright fest personally but have been on a normal day and found the experience pretty innocuous. (My DH calls six flags "Disney without the smiles.")

I was more reacting to people saying that during chol hamoed, it's all Jews and thus okay, whereas any other time, it's not ok. If I misunderstood then I apologize.

Dolly Welsh

Post Thu, Oct 24 2013, 5:55 pm
Boro Parker isn't the only negative on this thread besides me.

DrMom, guys also give you THEIR phone number, without even asking for yours. Then you can call them, whenever, even much later, if you are ever curious enough, or annoyed enough at your own people, or you have had a rejection from a frum boy, or you are lonely, or who knows.

I COMPLETELY agree with you that it is merely possible, not at all probable. "Pretty remote" was your phrase, quite accurate. But even you don't say it's impossible.

Dolly Welsh

Post Thu, Oct 24 2013, 6:09 pm
It's not that it has to be a Scrubbed Free of all other kinds of people than frum Jews, no, no. No, the need for a supervised, or family, context was the point. Who cares who else is walking around, on a normal day, not fright fest, if you are with an adult or family.

Fright fest is supposed to be frighty and festy. That's what you are paying for.

There is all that security for a reason, as somebody pointed out. It's SUPPOSED to be a place to let loose, on any day, not just Halloween.

And Halloween has only gotten Halloweenier every year, not less. It can be quite icky these days.

Barbara

Post Thu, Oct 24 2013, 6:15 pm
Dolly Welsh wrote:

DrMom, guys also give you THEIR phone number, without even asking for yours. Then you can call them, whenever, even much later, if you are ever curious enough, or annoyed enough at your own people, or you have had a rejection from a frum boy, or you are lonely, or who knows.

I COMPLETELY agree with you that it is merely possible, not at all probable. "Pretty remote" was your phrase, quite accurate. But even you don't say it's impossible.

It's also possible that she will meet a nice frum boy whom she will later marry, and give birth to the Moshiach. And your scaring the OP into thinking that Great Adventure -- which is likely to be filled with a bunch of parents with their 8 year-olds, celebrating Halloween -- is actually a cross between a brothel and a cult-induction site will result in thousands more years in galut.

Not likely, but it could be.

The real issue here, IMNSHO, is that OP's daughter is relatively sheltered. OP hasn't yet allowed her to go into Manhattan out of fear of car service drivers. OP is going to need to loosen the reigns over the next few years. But is this the right venue for a first venture on her own, or should it wait until the DD is a bit more seasoned. I don't know. OP knows her child best.

dancingqueen

Post Thu, Oct 24 2013, 7:59 pm
I used to go to Six Flags all the time as a teen, and I really don't remember it to be a place full of moral decadence. Especially going this time of year, you will actually see a lot less skin than in the summer.

I will admit I've never gone during fright fest, scary stuff isn't my thing.

groisamomma

Post Thu, Oct 24 2013, 10:18 pm
Barbara wrote:
Dolly Welsh wrote:

It's also possible that she will meet a nice frum boy whom she will later marry, and give birth to the Moshiach. And your scaring the OP into thinking that Great Adventure -- which is likely to be filled with a bunch of parents with their 8 year-olds, celebrating Halloween -- is actually a cross between a brothel and a cult-induction site will result in thousands more years in galut.

The real issue here, IMNSHO, is that OP's daughter is relatively sheltered. OP hasn't yet allowed her to go into Manhattan out of fear of car service drivers. OP is going to need to loosen the reigns over the next few years. But is this the right venue for a first venture on her own, or should it wait until the DD is a bit more seasoned. I don't know. OP knows her child best.

Fright Fest at Six Flags is full of older kids and teens, not so much 8-year-olds. The little kids would be traumatized.

DrMom

Post Thu, Oct 24 2013, 10:32 pm
Dolly Welsh wrote:

It's also possible (althought not probable) she will get hit by a bus in front of her home.

It's also possible (althought not probable) that a meteor from space will come hurtling out of the sky and squash her like a grape.

It's also possible (althought not probable) that she will "whenever, even much later, if she is ever curious enough, or annoyed enough at her own people, or has had a rejection from a frum boy, or she is lonely, or who knows" pick up some guy an the street around the block from her school.

Maybe OP should lock her DD in the basement in order to reduce all these probabilities to approximately nil.

The scenarios you imagine are so farfetched that your argument is ridiculous. If I were the OP, I would not base my decision on such fantasies.

naturalmom5

Post Thu, Oct 24 2013, 11:20 pm
It's also possible , but not probable that a middle aged lady on Imamother will get so freaked out seeing how neurotic Charedi women are that she'll go to a nonJewish forum and go off the Derech .
😜

Barbara

Post Thu, Oct 24 2013, 11:58 pm
groisamomma wrote:
Barbara wrote:
Dolly Welsh wrote:

Fright Fest at Six Flags is full of older kids and teens, not so much 8-year-olds. The little kids would be traumatized.

We were there on Halloween many years ago, so I was wondering if it changed.

The really scary stuff is after 6 pm, by which time OP's DD would be long gone.

Quote:
Six Flags Great Adventure’s Fright Fest Presented by SNICKERS® promises family-friendly “thrills by day,” while an amped-up “fright by night” will deliver more Zombie Zones, Terror Trails (additional fee required), Halloween-themed shows and more screams than ever before. Now seven weeks long, Fright Fest begins Sept. 13 and runs weekends through Oct. 27.

hilling Thrills by Day Entertainment

By day, families can enjoy favorites like the Trick-or-Treat Trail, Professor Slithers’ Creepy Critters animal show and Spooky Kooky Magic Show plus the new Monster Maze, a corn maze including some of Halloween’s most famous characters. At the Wilderness Theater, guests can enjoy the new Doc Snooker’s Halloween Time Machine, a zany show for all ages. Guests can also challenge the park’s famous line-up of thrill rides including El Toro, Kingda Ka and Nitro, and the new Safari Off Road Adventure.

Quote:
Thrills by Day—Geared to Families (included with park admission unless noted)
• NEW! Monster Maze—Kids and kids-at-heart can find their way through this new corn maze with surprises
from some of Halloween’s most famous characters.
• NEW! Doc Snooker’s Halloween Time Machine—Go back in time with hilarious Doc Snooker to reincarnate some of Halloween’s most notorious characters (begins Sept. 20).
• Trick-or-Treat Trail—Trick-or-treating and meet-and-greets with the Looney Tunes characters.
• Professor Slithers’ Creepy Critters—The zany professor hosts this animal show featuring snakes and reptiles.
• The Spooky Kooky Magic Show—Kids’ magic show featuring master illusionist Doc Swan.
• Six Flags Spooktacular Street Party—Street dance party featuring Halloween hits.
• Seafari Theater—Animal presentation featuring Asian small-clawed otters.
• Dawn of the Dead & Local—Live music showcase from local artists.
• Sea Lion Scary Tales—Halloween-themed sea lion show.

Quote:
Terrifying Fright by Night Entertainment

After 6 pm, the festival transitions to “fright by night” as nearly 200 zombies are released into the park. This fall, the park will introduce a new terror trail – Total Darkness presented by 3 MUSKETEERS® Brand, a blackout maze. Lakefront will be home to a new scare zone, Straw-Man Stalkers, with blood-thirsty scarecrows. Terror Trail favorites like Voodoo Island, Asylum presented by Dunkin' Donuts®, Wasteland presented by MILKY WAY® Brand and The Manor presented by göt2b®, now indoors, will return to terrorize guests. In total, Six Flags will offer six haunted walk-throughs and four scare zones.

Nighttime shows, known as “monstertainment,” will include the return of the iconic Dead Man’s Party presented by McDonald's®, Ghoulmaster’s Ghosts presented by TWIX® Brand, The Awakening, Circus of Thrills presented by DOVE® Chocolate and more. Terror trails require an additional fee, while all scare zones and monstertainment are included with park admission.

Fright by Night is not recommended for children under 12 and those who scare easily.

So I stand by my 8 year-olds comment.

amother

Post Fri, Oct 25 2013, 9:13 am
Can an older trusted sister, hers or one of the friends, or a mother go along? If it's so important to DD then perhaps give her this option to work on showing her you are willing to work with her if possible and give her something to do (talk to her friends and find someone) to make it happen in a way that also leaves you comfortable.

that would make me more comfortable

it's a personal decision as are all we make for our children and our families.

hatzlocha

and yes I've been to six flags on frightfest -- I always accompanied the group Smile

shanie5

Post Sat, Oct 26 2013, 11:53 pm
I asked my siblings what they would say to their 15 year old dds going on this trip. Their oldest are 24, 22, 12. They all agreed that without an adult there, they would not allow their child to go. If they lived in lakewood and were 20 minutes away, it would be another story.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children