Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
Tying back a long sheitel

timtam

Post Thu, Oct 31 2013, 6:34 am
I'm looking for suggestions as to how best to tie back a long sheitel. It has a part down the middle and it does not have bangs, so when I put it in a low pony tail it looks very 'wiggy'. I'd like to tie back some or all of the hair so it doesn't get in my face and also so that my kids don't pull on it. All suggestions welcome please! Or if anyone knows of any websites with photos I would appreciate that too.

esther09

Post Thu, Oct 31 2013, 6:44 am
What about using bobby pins to pin back the front pieces so it doesn't get in your face? Would that work with your wig?

timtam

Post Thu, Oct 31 2013, 7:04 am
esther09 wrote:
What about using bobby pins to pin back the front pieces so it doesn't get in your face? Would that work with your wig?

Somehow the bobby pins don't hold it back, they slide down. Maybe I need another type of clip that's stronger.

hop613

Post Thu, Oct 31 2013, 9:33 am
I have a similar wig, and I haven't found any natural way to really tie it back - a very thin stretchy headband works sometimes. Some headbands make the wig look funny, but I have found a few that are ok. The next best thing is bobby pins, but like you said, it is really hard to get them to stay in. I am considering gwetting bangs cut into this sheitel for that reason.

medola

Post Thu, Oct 31 2013, 9:47 am
Side ponytail
Low side bun

I have a sheitel that is very old and basically not wearable on its own. I got it second hand and the front was ruined but the hair was good hair. So I chopped off some of the front and made it into a fall, so I always wear a headband with it. I started doing something fun with it recently. I do an inside out French braid going down one or both side (braid it on the head)s, then I tie the end(s) into a side bun and clip it with one of those plastic claw looking clips (can't think of the name) or a decorative hair tie. Looks very pretty and best of all, all of the hair stays away from my face and off my neck! I even wear it when we go to the beach! A sheitel at the beach you say?! Ahhhmazing.

If you don't have a knack for French braids you can ask whoever sets your sheitel if she can do an braid/updo of some sort.

It keeps in the braid for multiple wears.

Have fun with it!
:-)

4eyes

Post Thu, Oct 31 2013, 10:20 am
I have had really good experience with these clips and hair bands from Ann Taylor Loft.only downside is they're expensive so wait for a bogo sale!

The hair bands are pretty and decorative (beaded or sequins stuff like that) narrow bands attached to a long, hair-elastic type of thing along the bottom. I put them around my neck before I put my sheitel on and then put the wig on and after pull the band up. I use it to hold the pieces out of my face and put it 2-3 in chest from the front if the wig. I can rearrange the hair around the band at the hairline to make sure it covers and looks as natural as possible.

They have clips that are alligator clips or kippah clips to hold decorative pieces. I find that these kinds of clips are much stronger than bobby pins for the front hair. You can take a piece and pin it back and up. Then you have to gently muss up the wig hair line to make it look more natural.

These are the only things I've used that keep my from going crazy with hair in my face all day. Highly highly recommend. Start with one band and one clip, then go home and play with it until you like the results!

flmommy

Post Thu, Oct 31 2013, 11:06 am
4eyes can you post a sample pic of the clip you are talking about?

havefaith

Post Thu, Oct 31 2013, 11:24 am
bangs

4eyes

Post Thu, Oct 31 2013, 11:49 am
I tried looking on the site but couldn't find. If I can, later ill take a pic of mine.

timtam

Post Thu, Oct 31 2013, 3:52 pm
Thanks Medola and 4eyes. If you can find pics that would be great.

medola

Post Thu, Oct 31 2013, 5:47 pm
Hey OP, sorry the ipad+imamother are giving me a hard time posting links/pics. I tried but when I switch tabs it all disappears... I can try again later. Meanwhile if you're interested in the French braid idea I would suggest searching braids or French braid or French side braid on Pinterest. Don't bother with google images its just totally lacking... Pinterest is the way to go to get ideas! (On everything in life ;-) )

Dolly Welsh

Post Thu, Oct 31 2013, 5:50 pm
Two small front pieces pulled to the back, and clipped together, back there. A bit below the crown.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels