Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Thinking about getting a basketball hoop for the backyard...

amother

Post Mon, Nov 04 2013, 9:25 am
My grandmother wants to get the kids a Chanukah present. I was thinking about asking for a basketball hoop for the backyard. We have a patio, and I have three little boys, ages 1, 3, and 5.

So here's the issue. I don't want to get something that the five year old is going to grow out of in a couple of years. But they haven't had any practice with basketball yet, so they'd really need a hoop that can go pretty low. I'm also not looking for something that costs several hundred dollars...maybe a hundred or less.

Any advice from those who have btdt? I'd love to get something that will last from now through teenagerdom, so if it makes sense for us to invest more money (and my grandmother will get something else, this would come from us if it was more expensvie), I'd do that. I just don't really know how these hoops work...new to this whole boy world...

TIA!

ectomorph

Post Mon, Nov 04 2013, 9:35 am
Get a regular adjustable one and just set it really low in the beginning.

vintagebknyc

Post Mon, Nov 04 2013, 9:43 am
grateful I am not your neighbor.... Bounce Bounce Bounce Bounce Shooting Arrow

amother

Post Mon, Nov 04 2013, 10:36 am
ectomorph wrote:

Can you define "regular adjustable one?"

Plastic, wood, metal...I don't know these things...

amother

Post Mon, Nov 04 2013, 10:36 am
vintagebknyc wrote:
grateful I am not your neighbor.... Bounce Bounce Bounce Bounce Shooting Arrow

Um...why?

vintagebknyc

Post Mon, Nov 04 2013, 10:37 am
because the noise from a bouncing basketball is awful?

ectomorph

Post Mon, Nov 04 2013, 10:44 am
amother wrote:
ectomorph wrote:

Can you define "regular adjustable one?"

Plastic, wood, metal...I don't know these things...

I'll even link you :-)
http://www.amazon.com/Lifetime.....RALHS
You want a height adjustable one. This one is portable too, which is good. And the price is excellent.
But it starts at 7.5 feet, which is short but may be too hard for really young kids.

A five year old needs the cheapest one. Once they're 7 or 8 or 9 they're going to want this one though.

Barbara

Post Mon, Nov 04 2013, 10:57 am
I'd stick with a kids' hoop at this stage, and worry about a regulation height one in about 5 or 6 years. A 5 year old isn't going to make a lot of baskets in a regulation hoop, and forget the younger ones. In fact, youth basketball programs use lower hoops.

This one gets good reviews, and can be adjusted to levels your kids will enjoy:

http://www.target.com/p/fisher.....38AVg

Miri1

Post Mon, Nov 04 2013, 11:20 am
My five year old plays with the adjustable 8 - 10 foot hoop, as well as the 4 - 6 foot one.

We started with the smaller one, but moved to a larger one when my oldest was 7 - and I think we waited too long.

The large hoop is expensive, and difficult to assemble. We ended up paying someone to assemble it - it took him a whole morning, with dh helping him.

amother

Post Tue, Nov 05 2013, 2:08 pm
You see my issue? The ones that are good for big kids don't seem to be good for little kids. The ones that are good for little kids don't seem to be good for big kids. And it seems that if I'm going to get a "big kid" one, I should buy it in the next few years...

I guess I could just wait. But I'd like him to get some practice with it now, and I think he'd really like it if he could only reach it...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics