Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
PESACH!

Yosefa

Post Sun, Mar 20 2005, 3:53 pm
I'm so scared. This is my first married Pesach and the fisrt time I haven't just sold my own house and gone to help some Chabad House and I'll be in my 9th month preggo. Anyway... is there a website that talks about this little Shabbos-Pesach situation? I don't think I was frum last time it happened, or maybe it was my first, so I had nothing to compare it to and I went to Chabad house and didn't really deal with it.

Things to think about:
So we burn and sell Chumatz b4 Shabbos? Do we still eat Challah on Shabbos? But we can't take the trash out on Shabbos, do we flush it?

Ok, this is kind of a yicky question. I'm still nausious and I couldn't eat bread for the first 4 months of pregnancy. I know Matzah is a bid Mitzva, but how many times do I try to hold it down before I give up? Every time I see the pesach isle in the supermarket my stomach turns.

imasenior

Post Sun, Mar 20 2005, 4:27 pm
We basically cook for Shaboss in Pesach dishes aready, but somewhere far (like porch) we will eat TO COMPLETION a piece of challa (A size of a KAZAYIS) so there is nothing left to burn or keep. Then we proceed with the meal.
May be by the time Pesach comes you will be able to tolerate eating the Matza?

Pickle Lady

Post Sun, Mar 20 2005, 4:52 pm
pesach is really awesome. Last year I made pesach 7 months pregnant with a one year old. It was my second time doing it. The last time I did it I was just newly married. It wasn't that hard. I took one day at a time and did lots of planning. Also remember that your not suppose to go crazy and cause sholom bias problems cleaning for pesach.

Oh yes...flush leftover challah down the toilet. cause you can't put it in the trash because its still you property until the garbage men take it away. And the shabbos lunch will be really early cause you need to eat challah by a certain time and thats like around 11am here in NYC.

This year I have a toddler and a 10 month old and I am so excited. Its going to be hard be I can do it.

Also there is a difference between spring cleaning and pesach cleaning. You only need to pesach clean for pesach.

juggler

Post Mon, Mar 21 2005, 1:47 pm
Hi Yosefa, whoaa, take it one step at a time. When I made my first pesach (new in town,for a few hundred people) the only thing that kept me sane was my lists. First make a to do before pesach list- I.e. cleaning the house. Don't forget things like chairs, closets, fridge etc... (and dirt is not chometz). Divide that into realistic (for you and your energy level) chunks of work and schedule what you will do when. Leave the kitchen for close to last. When you do the kitchen, you have two choices a) eat pesach early or b) move the microwave to the hallway or dining room and eat there. Your second list is the to buy list- make a list (consult with others if needed) of what you need to buy for pesach- cooking utensils, cutlery, disposables, salt shakers, pitchers, matza covers and bechers etc... The last list is the pesach cooking list- what to buy and amounts etc... Make some basic menus. I would assume that you will probably be invited out for some meals as well, so don't overdo it. Don't forget, it's only 8 days (nine if you count shabbos before) and although you may spend a bit of time in the kitchen, or thinking of food etc.. nothing will happen if you stick to the basics and repeat meals.
Btw, these lists are good to keep for reference from year to year. Don't worry about erev pesach until you get there. I am sure there are many people who have been there and done that that are confused as well and the rav of your shul will make sure to remind people what to do. If not, call up someone in the community, or the chabad house and ask. Spice and spirit has a pesach book that helps you do all of this organizing if you need to.
One last thing, although the pesach pots and pans are used only for a short time each year, they do get heavy use in that time, so it pays to go for slightly better quality.

sarahd

Post Mon, Mar 21 2005, 2:17 pm
If you are looking for a guide to what to do halachically before Pesach, including erev Pesach that's on Shabbos, I would recommend Rabbi Blumenkranz's book. He is a somewhat stricter than other rabbis, but he will give you a very detailed guide to what to do, and an exhaustive list of kosher for Pesach items.

ForeverYoung

Post Mon, Mar 21 2005, 2:36 pm
as well as many chumros, so watch out.

I preffer to use *K pesah guide.

proudmom

Post Mon, Mar 21 2005, 2:43 pm
In NY they dont give out a book for specific stuff that is good for Pesach?

sarahd

Post Tue, Mar 22 2005, 12:43 am
"They" give out quite a few of them. Rabbi Blumenkranz's book is one of them, KAJ (Breuers) gives out one, the OU and OK also have lists - no shortage of lists.

ForeverYoung

Post Tue, Mar 22 2005, 7:59 am
I don't know about KAJ's & OU's books, but for the ohters you have to pay.

And as far as I heard from people R. Blumenkratse's book is getting more & more expencive every year (and thiker, with added discussions that r not related to Pesah, such as shatnez)

Yosefa

Post Tue, Mar 29 2005, 9:29 am
Thanks for your advice. It's probably my preggo hormones, cause I'm not usually a worrier, but I'm having little Pesach panic attacks. I think part of it is that I have no idea what standard we're keeping. I chose a mashpiah I could look up to, but I'm not ready to actually do everything they do (make they're own potato starch, shmaltz...) The last few years I've been just keeping other people's standards (people I trust, of course). If we keep one thing this year (lets say I cook with oil) and next year we don't use oil, do I need new keilim? Ahhh!!! I'm not usually like this. I think I need yoga or something.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics