Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
In favour of non-themed costumes

shalhevet

Post Sun, Jan 28 2007, 4:13 pm
OK, please feel free to bash away if you don't like what I have to say. I won't get offended (if you bash the idea!)

I'm reading all these threads on themed costumes and I'm thinking: unless it's a very young child, why are you taking away their fun of choosing their own costume? My kids just adore being a bride, a lion, a princess or Dovid Hamelech. By deciding on a family theme you are forcing them all to conform to it. And I've actually read articles that it's great from a psychological view to let a child choose once a year what he's going to represent. In Israel, who's ever heard of such an idea as family themes?

OK, I've taken cover....

Hakuna Mattata

Post Sun, Jan 28 2007, 4:20 pm
I take my kids to safety stop and let them all pick whatever they want to be. they are the ones that enjoy getting dressed up let them decide

Raisin

Post Sun, Jan 28 2007, 5:47 pm
Anyone who tries to convince my 6 year old dd to be anything other than a Queen Esther/princess/kalla is just not going to succeed. My 7 year old however refuses to be anything "girly"!

Squash

Post Sun, Jan 28 2007, 6:05 pm
Actually, you could come out of hiding.

There is NO WAY my family would dress up as a "theme" anymore.

When my oldest was 3 and very decisively informed us that he would be a fire fighter on purim - that was the end of themes for us!!

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Jan 28 2007, 6:06 pm
Shalhevet, I think your view is fine; some of this Purim stuff is way out of hand in America . . . like the ostentatious nosh sent...or the fruit leather creations, for example, that are lovely to look at but not eaten (wasteful IMO)

withhumor

Post Sun, Jan 28 2007, 6:07 pm
I used to let Purim be a free-for-all of creativity. But now my kids are older and they also want to be all themed up like the neighbors… so this year it will be a whole hu-la-la on my pickle….

shanie5

Post Sun, Jan 28 2007, 10:01 pm
my kids all get into the theme with me. we discuss what we want to do, what MM will be sent, and who will be what. as soon as purim is over they ask "so what are we gonna be next year?"
I also tie it all together w/ a poem, and last year, my dd wrote 1/2 of it.
so for us its a family time of fun.
one yr my eldest wanted a specific costume, so we worked our theme around him.
we do the theme cuz its fun and we all like it. its not to be like anyone else, cuz no one here is as nutty as we are. when it becomes a tircha, we will stop, but until then..........keep the ideas comin!!!!!!!!!

withhumor

Post Mon, Jan 29 2007, 9:18 am
Shani, how about one of you’s being an exterminator, and the rest being a variety of pests….okay just stitching this a bit.

I heard from very frum people that they don’t dress up as non-kosher animals (bears, gorillas, tigers, bunny rabbits) etc. anyone else here about this?

suomynona

Post Mon, Jan 29 2007, 9:40 am
I think themes are corny.

(I'm the one who has to take cover )

happy2beme

Post Mon, Jan 29 2007, 9:49 am
My 4 yo picks what she wants to be & we build the theme around it.

My son is too young to pick a costume (1.5 yrs old) so it works out!

I know, I was wondering myself what am I gonna do if they decide to be something that has absolutely no connection. Before I worry, I'll wait 'till it happens Smile themes are so much fun! I'm sure I can tie everything in anyway, even if it is farfetched Smile

2 yrs ago, I bought dd's costume bec it was on sale & so cute & had a whole theme planned out for the next year .

dd decided b4 purim of that yr she wanted to be a kalla. so I searched everywhere for a kalla costume & she wore it every day when she got home from school & to her school's purim party. Believe me, she was happy she got 2 costumes that yr Smile

I don't do themes to keep up with others, but because it seems to be my only creative outlet these days Sad

shanie5

Post Mon, Jan 29 2007, 11:44 am
withhumor wrote:
Shani, how about one of you’s being an exterminator, and the rest being a variety of pests….okay just stitching this a bit.

I heard from very frum people that they don’t dress up as non-kosher animals (bears, gorillas, tigers, bunny rabbits) etc. anyone else here about this?

still trying to gross me out? well, its one theme I will definitely NOT do!!!!!!!

as for no non kosher animals, I know its a lubavitch one, but are there any others who do, or rather don't do, this too?

Squash

Post Mon, Jan 29 2007, 12:40 pm
I know quite a few people who don't dress up as nonkosher animals.

Mishie

Post Mon, Jan 29 2007, 12:59 pm
I just wanted to add, about the costumes.

For those who believe in giving your children the opportunity to chose what he/she would like represent -

Here's an idea:

Why don't you all wear the themed-costume on Purim Day, and let the kids wear their "choice costumes" to their Purim Party at School.

shanie5

Post Mon, Jan 29 2007, 10:09 pm
thats exactly what I do. if my kids want to dress up differently, then school parties and even megillah reading at night is when they can do it.
this way, they enjoy being part of the theme and be an individual too.

red sea

Post Tue, Jan 30 2007, 11:13 am
I dont do themes, its more fun for me too whose not limited as to what to put in the M"M.

bandcm

Post Thu, Feb 01 2007, 6:38 pm
withhumor wrote:

Lubavitchers don´t dress up as non-kosher animals...or non jewish fairy tales like cinderella or red riding hood, either.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics