Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Do by type seminary in israel let smartphones

amother

Post Wed, Nov 27 2013, 8:40 pm
Dd is going to seminary in israel next year. She wants a smartphone in order to take pictures. Should I get her a smartphone? Is it going to be a problem with getting into a the good frum seminaries? Do by girls have smartphones iPhones in israel?

Rutabaga

Post Wed, Nov 27 2013, 8:53 pm
Can't you just get her a digital camera instead?

amother

Post Wed, Nov 27 2013, 9:08 pm
The phone is very handy. She always has it with her. She can also use it for apps and other stuff. She has a very simole phone now but most her by ftiends has iphones. I know it is not perfect and I wish I didn't expose her to that stuff. She is very serious frum girl and I'm just wondering if they will ask her in the seminary interview what phone does she have. Which leads to the question if I sign a two years lease on the phone can she take it to israel?

busydev

Post Wed, Nov 27 2013, 9:30 pm
somehow I doubt most (any) BY sems would let. for sure not one with active service (esp data plans etc) maybe, maybe the leftish BY sems. maybe.

notshanarishona

Post Wed, Nov 27 2013, 9:55 pm
No way. Most by sems insist on kosher phones , not even allowing simple phones with txting.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 27 2013, 9:59 pm
If she gets it now until she goes to israel. Will they ask her ion the interview what phone does she has?

Peanut2

Post Wed, Nov 27 2013, 10:11 pm
She won't be able to use your American plan in Israel.

I mean, technically she might be able to but it will cost much, much more for international roaming, international Internet charges, etc.

smss

Post Wed, Nov 27 2013, 10:47 pm
the BY seminaries don't allow anything with a screen- smartphones, blackberries, even iPods with video capability.

(which doesn't mean you won't find any there....)

smss

Post Wed, Nov 27 2013, 10:53 pm
I just read your OP again- if she is getting it to take pictures, no way....she can't just pull out a smartphone on a tiyul. that will not fly.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 27 2013, 11:05 pm
Ok. I understand now that they don't let anything with a screen. If she has it now just until tge end if the year, do you think the seminary will ask her on the interview what phone does she have now?

smss

Post Wed, Nov 27 2013, 11:07 pm
amother wrote:
Ok. I understand now that they don't let anything with a screen. If she has it now just until tge end if the year, do you think the seminary will ask her on the interview what phone does she have now?

I haven't heard of that question being asked, but it's been a couple of years since I was in the seminary-interview-stage....who knows....maybe these days they do ask.... What

AlwaysThinking

Post Thu, Nov 28 2013, 12:21 am
They won't ask, but don't expect her to be allowed to even bring it with her to EY!

Yes, people do, but if she really is a good girl, she wouldn't want to be the one 'using the smartphone behind the teachers' backs'.

And yeah, for pictures it's just not worth it. Get her a digital camera! Smile

amother

Post Thu, Nov 28 2013, 3:45 am
My question is more like why don't YOU have a problem with a teenage girl having a smartphone? You seem to support the idea? Sorry for sounding rude but u say she's a frum goood girl. Smartphones are tricky and unprotective for anyone, especially a teenager, no matter how "good and forum" she is.
Lots of luck.

Peanut2

Post Thu, Nov 28 2013, 3:52 am
What's so bad about a smartphone? I have one, lots of teens around me have one. What could she actually do with it? I also see plenty of American charedi kollel wives with them, no?

Anyway, if it's against school rules I would take it. It's totally not worth it, and a relatively inexpensive camera will take much better pictures.

amother

Post Thu, Nov 28 2013, 11:51 am
amother wrote:
My question is more like why don't YOU have a problem with a teenage girl having a smartphone? You seem to support the idea? Sorry for sounding rude but u say she's a frum goood girl. Smartphones are tricky and unprotective for anyone, especially a teenager, no matter how "good and forum" she is.
Lots of luck.

Op here
Read my original post. I wrote that I know this is not perfect and I wish she was not exposed to it in the first place. But most of her friends have it and she is a very serious straight A student and very frum. She is my oldest and I'm a bt. I was too naive and it is a long story how she got inti that stuff. Hopefully my younger kids wouldn't be exposed to that stuff. I know she would not take the smartphone to israel now that I read all these posts. Btw do the girls have a laptop in seminary? I'm just assuming they probably don't....

westerner

Post Thu, Nov 28 2013, 11:52 am
amother wrote:
Lots of luck.

and MY queston is- why is this anonymous??
why SHOULD she have a problem with her daughter having a smartphone in 2013? what exactly, is so different about a seminary girl in israel, at the age of 18, having a smartphone, being paid for by her parents while she spends the year in a very supervised environmnet while in seminary, than a young kollel wife in israel, at the age of 19, married to some guy in hte mir, having a smartphone, being paid for by her parents ? does something miraculously change during that one year time frame? good girls are good girls, bad girls are bad girls. people who want to use the internet for things that arent so...kosher- well when there is a will, theres a way. not so hard to discreetly buy a used samsung or iphone these days with a disposable plan. isnt it better if its all done on the up and up with parents' approval, than behind their backs?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children