Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Spinoff of "wrong" color nail polish
Previous  1  2  3  4

Fox

Post Wed, Dec 04 2013, 10:37 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Fox, many good points. But while kids can and should know that there might not be 100% alignment, they still need to know that they have to have respect for the school, teachers, etc.

Obviously, I agree, but this is all too often used as a red herring by schools when faced with a perceptive or questioning child.

Sadly, in some schools, the definition of chutzpah includes "asking questions I can't answer" and "making observations I don't understand."

cbsmommy

Post Wed, Dec 04 2013, 11:38 pm
Fox wrote:
Sadly, in some schools, the definition of chutzpah includes "asking questions I can't answer" and "making observations I don't understand."

Where's the nodding-head-frantically-in-agreement emoticon? I need to use it here.

Ah, found it.

Yes

amother

Post Thu, Dec 05 2013, 6:02 am
cbsmommy wrote:
Fox wrote:

Where's the nodding-head-frantically-in-agreement emoticon? I need to use it here.

Ah, found it.

Yes

Can't count how many times I got kicked out the classroom for exactly this.

QuellingandQvetching

Post Thu, Dec 05 2013, 8:33 pm
I cannot imagine restricting my child's access to a library. I loved to read. Yes, I read things my mom didn't approve of, but mostly fashion magazines that would "rot my brain". The local Yeshiva here has a similar rule for the kids and that's the main reason I wouldn't send my kids there. We are fortunate to have two other Jewish day schools in the same neighborhood, without the restrictive library rules. I feel that it is MY job to make rules about books and libraries. Right now the library computers are heavily monitored, I can't imagine a child getting to see anything bad on them. And I know some of the librarians and they would not let a child check out 50 Shades of Grey or similar. The key is to have a dialogue with your children about age appropriate reading. I don't want my children in the future to see Judaism not even letting them read books. I don't want to be like those Christian Evangelicals who have a conniption fit about Harry Potter and the rest.

Cookies n Cream

Post Thu, Dec 05 2013, 8:37 pm
QuellingandQvetching wrote:
I cannot imagine restricting my child's access to a library. I loved to read. Yes, I read things my mom didn't approve of, but mostly fashion magazines that would "rot my brain". The local Yeshiva here has a similar rule for the kids and that's the main reason I wouldn't send my kids there. We are fortunate to have two other Jewish day schools in the same neighborhood, without the restrictive library rules. I feel that it is MY job to make rules about books and libraries. Right now the library computers are heavily monitored, I can't imagine a child getting to see anything bad on them. And I know some of the librarians and they would not let a child check out 50 Shades of Grey or similar. The key is to have a dialogue with your children about age appropriate reading. I don't want my children in the future to see Judaism not even letting them read books. I don't want to be like those Christian Evangelicals who have a conniption fit about Harry Potter and the rest.

A bit OT but Is 50 Shades of Grey the only book you wouldn't want your child reading?
In this day and age, I think that every book needs to be skimmed thru by a parent.
Age appropriate reading is not necessarily always what you think it is.
Hush by Eishes Chayil is in the Young Adult section, and that is definition not young adult reading (emotionally, forget about Hashkafically).

pause

Post Thu, Dec 05 2013, 8:43 pm
Cookies n Cream wrote:

A bit OT but Is 50 Shades of Grey the only book you wouldn't want your child reading?
In this day and age, I think that every book needs to be skimmed thru by a parent.
Hush by Eishes Chayil is in the Young Adult section, and that is definition not young adult reading (emotionally, forget about Hashkafically).

delete

QuellingandQvetching

Post Thu, Dec 05 2013, 9:13 pm
Cookies n Cream wrote:

Well, obviously I used 50 Shades as an example and not representing the entirety of books not suitable for children as being just the one book. Your argument is of the straw man variety. The thing is if I banned the library and many books just b/c they weren't fitting within a narrow segment of literature would totally result in a child hiding their reading from me. I know I would have gone behind my mom's back if she had been more restrictive. She had her opinions, but she also raised me to have a brain. I read a few things like "Tess of the D'Urbervilles' That was age inappropriate. Great literature but I was so sad after reading it. Also Anna Karenina, I was too young to understand everything and got bogged down by the verbage. I read it again as an adult and loved it.

willow

Post Fri, Dec 06 2013, 7:14 am
My mom did not restrict me in the least. I read my way through the library as a kid for good and bad.
I have some of the best memories of our library I also unfortunately read such **** and learned things that children my age should have been sheltered from. There is enough to read that I want to shelter my child from all the bad stuff.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Dec 06 2013, 8:14 am
S-x, violence, twisted stuff... IS found in books many people would have no problem with a teen reading. Yes, you need to check, and even for kids as it can be implied, or mention in passing stuff you find highly problematic.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics