Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Bais Faiga in Lakweood - any information?

amother

Post Thu, Dec 19 2013, 1:27 pm
What can anyone tell me about Bais Faiga in Lakewood?

How is the education? Do they stress an english education?
How do they work with the kids. If a kids need any extra help or attention either because they are too slow or to advance, do they help?

I had originally heard that the parent body was almost completely kollel/yeshivish. But now I am hearing different. I come from a yeshivish leaning background but I myself became less yeshivish. I dress pretty tznius and everything like that, but I like having a long shaitel (dont worry its not a long blonde one) and other things along the lines of that. Will I be the only one?

Thank you

Chayalle

Post Thu, Dec 19 2013, 1:43 pm
Bais Faiga is a huge school so the parent body has some diversity. You may be somewhere to the left but with plenty of company.

Bais Faiga is run very efficiently but keep in mind it's a large school. It's divided in separate locations - Primary thru 2nd is in the Gratter location and 3rd thru 8th is in the main building. They are building yet another building and when completed, 6-8 will be there and the main will be 3rd to 5th.

It's actually nice, because the little kids come to this warm, friendly place and the staff gets to know each and every one of them. Later on they move to the "big" Bais Faiga. I like that my little one is on a bus ride with only younger students (and a bus monitor). It's less intimidating. Most parents love the Gratter building experience.

In the older grades, you don't have the "small school" feel. Some people feel they are missing that, as they don't have the same warm, small-town type of relationship with the principal and staff. Personally, whenever I had to speak to the principal about any issue I found her to be right with me and knowing what I was talking about, and her advice has been very sound. But no, it's not a small school relationship.

There are plenty of contests, challenges, plays, events, etc...that keep the students busy. My kids have been happy in the older grades too. I've never heard from them "I wish I had gone to school X." They have been proud and confident as Bais Faiga students.

Bais Faiga is known for dealing with issues in a streamlined manner. Whether a learning or behavioral issue, they have the resources in place, and also the experience. They don't make mountains out of molehills, but don't hesitate to get help where it's needed. In this area, my experience has been overwhelmingly positive. I also observed how students who needed resources were treated so normally, that it's not a big deal socially - they are very well accepted by their peers. My DD's class decided to bring extra nosh for a siyum, for a student who was not in their Chumash class because she goes to the resource room for Chumash. Because she was part of the gang, and they wanted to share.

In terms of education, they tend to be more relaxed in the younger grades and don't pour the pressure on (though they have a solid curriculum). At about 6th grade the momentum increases as they prepare them for high school. They come to high school on par with girls from other schools.

amother

Post Thu, Dec 19 2013, 3:10 pm
I like that not all the grades are together. It will make it that the kids dont feel overwhelmed.

Do you feel that the teachers have time for you and they know your DD? Have you ever had a problem with a teacher or an different issue and had to speak with the administration? If yes, how did they treat you?

One of my pet peeves is that these days, schools feel that if a kid has difficulty, then send them to special ed rather then the teachers spend some extra time with the student. How is it there?

You mentioned that I may be somewhere to the left. I guess I probably will be, but not incredibly so. I have heard of schools (boys and girls) where the principals would call up a parent if they feel the parents shaitel would be too long, or something like that. Would they do that? I am of course not talking about walking around in short skirts but rather something like a long shaitel.

Out of curiosity, how much is tuition?

Do they try to teach the kids that the kollel life is great and that is what they should be looking for, or do they explain a bit more that it is not for everyone?

I know a lot of boy schools make it sound like English education is not important. Do they do that here or do they let the girls realize that it is important?

Chayalle

Post Thu, Dec 19 2013, 4:02 pm
Most of the teachers my DD's have had were incredible. I don't say that about everything and everyone. In all the years my girls have been there, I can think of one Hebrew teacher that was so/so, and one English teacher that my DD didn't hit it off with. And that's from alot of teachers.

The one teacher that was so/so - I felt she was a bit rigid and strict, but I spoke to her about the fact that my DD is sensitive and having a hard time, and she did try to reach out to my DD in an interesting sort of way - she gave my DD a main part in the play, which is NOT what we were looking for but it was a gesture of trying to help her feel good in her class. I took it for what it was.

I also spoke to the principal that year, and the next year my DD's class had the absolute sweetest, nicest teacher for that grade....which sort of balanced out the fact that the previous teacher was more strict.

There was a bullying situation in my DD's class, and I felt it was handled very appropriately.

I'm not sure what you mean about long sheitels....I wear a long sheitel myself, and no one has ever said anything to me. At PTA I see parents that range from ultra yeshivish to super trendy (but tznius) and I like that about Bais Faiga, because I feel that there's breathing space. It's healthy to grow up with variety and diversity, and I feel that my kids have a healthy exposure to different types of frum Jewish people.

Regarding tuition, there is a range. I'd say from about 4K to 6K.

There's not alot of teaching about Kollel specifically, because this is elementary school kids. There's alot of Gedolim projects, the importance of Torah, etc...I would say most of the Hebrew teachers are probably Kollel wives and on the Yeshivish spectrum. When they had a Gedolim project, they covered a range of Gedolim from the Satmar Rebbe to Litvishe Roshei Yeshivos to Sephardi Chachamim.

I don't have sons (yet) so I don't know about the boys. In Bais Faiga, secular studies are definitely important and good grades are encouraged. Girls may be more conscientious in general.

amother

Post Thu, Dec 19 2013, 5:05 pm
Not OP. Chayalle, you sound like you know BF very well. I moved to Lakewood recently, and I am probably a bit more to the left then the OP. I have a 22 inch sheitel as well as a fall. I will almost never go out in public without wearing 3 inch heels and wedges, and I love getting my nails done. However, I do make sure all the proper points on my body are covered.

My SIL has some connection there and he said he can get me in. But I do not want to have to dress differently then the way I am, and I also don't want to feel like I am the only one that way. Would I fit in?

Chayalle

Post Tue, Dec 24 2013, 10:06 am
amother wrote:
Not OP. Chayalle, you sound like you know BF very well. I moved to Lakewood recently, and I am probably a bit more to the left then the OP. I have a 22 inch sheitel as well as a fall. I will almost never go out in public without wearing 3 inch heels and wedges, and I love getting my nails done. However, I do make sure all the proper points on my body are covered.

My SIL has some connection there and he said he can get me in. But I do not want to have to dress differently then the way I am, and I also don't want to feel like I am the only one that way. Would I fit in?

You would likely be on the "left" but not necessarily the only one.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics