Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Baal dira raising our rent Help!

someoneelse

Post Tue, Dec 24 2013, 4:50 am
How do we respond? how do we stop her from raising the rent after only one year on an unfurnished one bedroom apartment!!??

Any advice?

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Dec 24 2013, 4:52 am
check your lease. did it say that she could/would raise the rent?
I think that any landlord is allowed to do that, at least with notice. Would this be for next year? If so, then, unfortunately or fortunately, you have half a year to look for some place cheaper.

Good luck.

DrMom

Post Tue, Dec 24 2013, 4:56 am
Is there anything in your rental contract that doesn't allow her to do this?

If not, I don't think there is not much you can do. Tell her you cannot afford that and will be looking for alternatives. If you are good tenants, she may value your business and keep the rent stable rather than risk renting to crazy tenants even for a higher price.

By what % is she increasing the rent on this apartment?

someoneelse

Post Tue, Dec 24 2013, 5:02 am
The contract doesn't say anything for or against raising the rent- just that contract can be renewed according to agreement of both sides. she gave us notice like 2 weeks ago and the contract is up in about 2 weeks.

She wants to raise 6.6%. We started looking a little and there isn't anything available in immediate neighborhood until pesach time. We will look in neighborhoods nearby.

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Dec 24 2013, 5:08 am
someoneelse wrote:
The contract doesn't say anything for or against raising the rent- just that contract can be renewed according to agreement of both sides. she gave us notice like 2 weeks ago and the contract is up in about 2 weeks.

She wants to raise 6.6%. We started looking a little and there isn't anything available in immediate neighborhood until pesach time. We will look in neighborhoods nearby.
Well, at leaset look in your lease to see how much notice one has to give to be evicted. I think the standard is to give tenants at least two months notice.

5*Mom

Post Tue, Dec 24 2013, 5:22 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
someoneelse wrote:

Well, at leaset look in your lease to see how much notice one has to give to be evicted. I think the standard is to give tenants at least two months notice.

I think you're making a mistake that is not going to be helpful to the OP. They are not being evicted. They have a 1-year lease which is up in 2 weeks. They've known about this for a year. They did not take care to renew and/or renegotiate the lease in a timely manner and now that the terms of the new lease are not favorable to them, they haven't left themselves very many options. The landlord is well within his rights, is doing nothing wrong or awful, and this is generally standard in apartment rentals.

OP, chalk this up to a learning experience, but don't hate your landlord. Good luck finding comfortable, affordable living arrangements or working something out with your landlord.

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Dec 24 2013, 5:39 am
5*Mom wrote:
shabbatiscoming wrote:
someoneelse wrote:

I think you're making a mistake that is not going to be helpful to the OP. They are not being evicted. They have a 1-year lease which is up in 2 weeks. They've known about this for a year. They did not take care to renew and/or renegotiate the lease in a timely manner and now that the terms of the new lease are not favorable to them, they haven't left themselves very many options. The landlord is well within his rights, is doing nothing wrong or awful, and this is generally standard in apartment rentals.

OP, chalk this up to a learning experience, but don't hate your landlord. Good luck finding comfortable, affordable living arrangements or working something out with your landlord.
Ah, I didnt see that she said that the lease was up in two weeks. My bad.

hila

Post Tue, Dec 24 2013, 5:50 am
It may not be worth you moving 6.6% of say 3000sh (I dont know how much you are paying) is 198 sh /month.

Multiply that by 12 (for a year and you get to 2376.

Add up the cost of movers and fixing, painting and buying new stuff) I think staying probably makes sense.

Unless you want to move - say somewhere cheaper, it may pay to stay put . Maybe you can arghue him down by a couple of % ...

If it wasnt in the contract, then you may have no choice.

smss

Post Tue, Dec 24 2013, 12:48 pm
someoneelse wrote:

our rent went up 8% after living here 1 year. unfurnished 2 bedroom.

unfortunately, if you live in area where rental apts are in demand, it's just going to keep going up and up and up some more...

luvinlife

Post Tue, Dec 24 2013, 12:57 pm
The owner should have given you more notice that he is raising the rent. The only thing you can do is tell her that it is too expensive and your going to have to move elsewhere. Maybe ask her to give you two months to move and just pay the high fee for the next two months. I have had my share of rent being raised and it was 40% more!! I know insane!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions