Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Any political science or history majors out there?

sarys

Post Sun, Jan 05 2014, 9:40 pm
What kind of jobs do you have now?

I've been a sahm for a long time, I plan on being home for right now, but am looking ahead and would like to work towards a career for the time when the kiddos are all in school. I started off as a political science major, however ended up not quite getting there and left to stay at home when I had my first baby. I'd love to go back to school, but what are my career options with a degree in political science or history? I bh to not have to work at this time, but if I am going back to school I'd like to focus on the subjects I enjoy and be able to find work that I enjoy and would be practical for family life. Law school is not an option at this stage, although that was what I aspired to once upon a time....

I'd love to hear some suggestions.

amother

Post Sun, Jan 05 2014, 10:11 pm
I was pre-med in college, so I decided to have a little fun with my major since it wouldn't matter once I had an MD. I chose history because it interested me. Fast forward a few years to when I flunked out of med school because of depression and other personal problems. Now all I have is a useless BA in history. The only thing you can do with a degree in history without going to graduate school is teach history, something that I would not be good at for a multitude of reasons.

So I am also a SAHM. I have no marketable skills. If I want to get a job in any field that even remotely interests me, I would have to go back to school, which I am not emotionally ready to do. In the meantime I might be able to find an entry level job somewhere, but that wouldn't cover the cost of childcare so it isn't worth it. I stay sane by doing some volunteer work where I can occasionally talk to intelligent adults.

Good luck. Maybe you would make a better teacher than I would.

Cookies n Cream

Post Sun, Jan 05 2014, 10:43 pm
I know two people with a major in poli-sci. One is going to Harvard in September and the other is an HRA supervisor.

amother

Post Sun, Jan 05 2014, 10:48 pm
I have a masters in planning analysis and management. Others with my degree got jobs as analysts in government. I worked on Wall Street until I went to law school. Now I am a sahm.

spring13

Post Sun, Jan 05 2014, 10:58 pm
I majored in history knowing that I would need a graduate degree of some kind in the long run - it was what I wanted to learn, and I pretty much figured that grad school was my destiny whatever I decided to do. I knew I didn't want to be a lawyer or a teacher, so... I studied what I loved, and don't regret it. I really did love it! Studying history develops research, critical thinking, and writing skills in particular - see if you can go from there in terms of jobs.

I ended up getting a master's in library science, which was the perfect field for me, but is pretty bad in terms of job opportunities. If it interests you and you aren't in desperate need of income ASAP, then go for it. But otherwise... if you were originally interested in law, maybe law librarianship would be a good career path for you.

http://www.historians.org/jobs.....ajors

Dolly Welsh

Post Sun, Jan 05 2014, 11:10 pm
Maybe a legal Para?

Court stenographer? They are paid well, I heard.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics