Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Binah or Ami Living?
Previous  1  2  3

Which do you read more often - Binah or ami Living?
Binah  
 50%  [ 62 ]
Ami Living  
 49%  [ 60 ]
Total Votes : 122

das

Post Tue, Jan 14 2014, 11:26 am
Maya wrote:
I dislike the Ami too because I see it as sort of a Jewish NYPost. They sell their magazines by sensationalizing everything and always promoting the wrong sides of the issues just to rile people up. My examples include them taking Weberman's side in his trial, condoning the New Square arson story, and their coverage of last week's Stark murder, where the family specifically requested they not mention the Post headline but they centered the entire article and cover page around that. In addition, the editorials by Rabbi Frankfurter promote hate and intolerance of everyone who is not like him.

I was under the impression that they are the least popular of all three, but I guess I am mistaken. Either way, Mishpacha has the biggest readership and most varied demographic, if you're looking at the marketing aspect.
1. They never condoned the arson story, simply pointed out not to forget all the beautiful things about a community because of the actions of a few. The arson was condemned. 2. They did not take Webermans side in the trial. What they said was that since the girl had gotten her chance in the press, they were offering the defense a chance to say something. (I think it was in very very poor taste.) 3. I don't know about the Stark family's wishes but based on the actions of the family it seems they were leading the publicity against the Post. 4. How do the editorials promote hate and intolerance? I'm confused as to how you see that. I don't always agree with the points but I've never gotten that impression. Amother, if you have things to say against Binah, say it in your own name. I personally find it a bit boring, but because I read so many secular magazines the topics don't interest me. I read Jewish magazines to read about Jewish news, Jewish stories. I read both Mishpacha and Ami and enjoy them both. They have different strong points, which is great.

whoami

Post Tue, Jan 14 2014, 12:16 pm
amother wrote:
Op why don't you ask the grocery stores near you which magazine sells faster?

Good Idea, but I already advertise in the local publications, so I am not necessarily interested in what sells locally.
I sell a product that (while a luxury item for marrieds) is a basic for kallahs. A lot of people from Toronto, Detroit, Cleveland and Chicago come do their Kallah shopping in Lakewood and I would like to target them, or at least make them aware that when they come to Lakewood, this is where they should go.

Thank you very much for all your feedback. Thanks to you, I am seriously considering Mishpacha/Family First when I wasn't before!

Cookies n Cream

Post Tue, Jan 14 2014, 12:23 pm
amother wrote:
if you go to rockland kosher in Monsey right before shabbos they are always out of the ami. Misphacha next and I've never seen them out of the binah. Many times if I don't have time to get it before shabbos then on Sunday the only magazine usually left over is the binah.

Op why don't you ask the grocery stores near you whichagazine sells faster?

This doesn't necessarily mean anything. You don't know how many they get of each and you don't know many get subscriptions.

Jughead

Post Tue, Jan 14 2014, 5:09 pm
Maya wrote:
So since you can recall one article in all its years of publication that was somewhat different than the usual content you now think that Binah is an "out there" magazine? It's not. Sorry. They don't make waves, they cater to the demographic that the posters above have said: the Williamsburg and Boro Park women who are sheltered, simple, naive and don't want anything of controversy to contaminate their clean homes.There's absolutely nothing wrong with that. On the contrary, there has to be a publication for all types of readership. But to claim that it is on par with other magazines regarding content is misleading.

sheltered does not equate simple.
disliking controversy and sensationalism is not naive
not wanting anything to contaminate their clean homes is not unintelligent

I find your comment offensive in the extreme. And remarkably unintelligent.

realeez

Post Tue, Jan 14 2014, 5:16 pm
amother wrote:
I don't think oot would even buy binah.

When I was in Florida the store only sd ami and misphacha.

I've seen Binah in Miami and in Boca. I subscribe to Binah and live OOT and if I'd be the only one, I don't think they would deliver door to door.

Maya

Post Tue, Jan 14 2014, 6:03 pm
Jughead wrote:
sheltered does not equate simple.
disliking controversy and sensationalism is not naive
not wanting anything to contaminate their clean homes is not unintelligent

I find your comment offensive in the extreme. And remarkably unintelligent.

Defensive much? I didn't say any of those things. It's not an all-or-nothing.

I don't care how you find my comment. I just say it as I see it.

amother

Post Tue, Jan 14 2014, 7:56 pm
Jughead wrote:
ILOVELIFE has posted several complimentary posts about articles or writers in a competing mag. I don't think I have ever read a post from her that was a general discrediting of either Mishpacha or Ami.
When someone has true confidence in oneself and one's work, one doesn't feel the need to knock the competition. ILL has never done that, and I respect her tremendously.
I think even making an off-handed remark about not loving an article of the competition (not the mag specifically) is not appropriate in these situations. But I do not want to make this about a specific poster!

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Jan 14 2014, 8:25 pm
Hey! Binah people! It's not an insult that Binah caters to a different kind of population than Mishpacha and Ami! Binah is very clean wholesome, family oriented, and yes, less sophisticated than mishpacha/family first. It's simply a different 'shnit'. Nothing's wrong with that kind of demographic. Tha'ts your niche, period. Don't take it as a negative thing!

Jughead

Post Wed, Jan 15 2014, 12:12 am
Maya wrote:
Defensive much? I didn't say any of those things. It's not an all-or-nothing.

I don't care how you find my comment. I just say it as I see it.

no - not defensive. I don't live in Bklyn.
was that not your post I quoted?

Jughead

Post Wed, Jan 15 2014, 12:15 am
Mama Bear wrote:
Hey! Binah people! It's not an insult that Binah caters to a different kind of population than Mishpacha and Ami! Binah is very clean wholesome, family oriented, and yes, less sophisticated than mishpacha/family first. It's simply a different 'shnit'. Nothing's wrong with that kind of demographic. Tha'ts your niche, period. Don't take it as a negative thing!

so you don't find it negative or offensive that the articles you've published in Binah have been described as fluff and not intelligent?
sophisticated does not equal intelligent.
clean, wholesome, family-oriented... no one is debating that terminology here.

kenz

Post Wed, Jan 15 2014, 11:32 am
Jughead wrote:
no - not defensive. I don't live in Bklyn.
was that not your post I quoted?

What does Brooklyn have to do with anything?

Cookies n Cream

Post Wed, Jan 15 2014, 11:35 am
kenz wrote:
What does Brooklyn have to do with anything?

Williamsburg and Boro Park are in Brooklyn.

morahtikvah

Post Wed, Jan 15 2014, 2:15 pm
I have a master's degree, read secular books, and live very out of town and I Love Binah. It always gives me something to think about. I appreciate that it does not have news in it because I get my news from other sources.

wereafamily

Post Wed, Jan 15 2014, 2:52 pm
Cookies n Cream wrote:
I currently don't subscribe to any, but I would think that Mishpacha(Family First) has the broadest readership.
Bina does cater to a very specific crowd. Ami likes sensationalism and addresses topics that no other magazines do, but their writing/grammar level also sort of makes them cater to a limited crowd. From what I know Mishpacha caters to all different types.

My views are based on discussions with family and friends, but keep in mind that it really depends on the item that you are advertising. Like another poster mentioned, if it's a "heimishe BP/ Lakewood" item then Binah might be the way to go etc...

Funny, I thought I was the only one that doesn't enjoy the Ami simply because of their style of "writing" (and grammar)

MyTimeNow

Post Wed, Jan 15 2014, 10:48 pm
Mama Bear wrote:

Nice post, but death to the word "schnit!!" Shooting Arrow lol
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room