Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Does anyone know of an editing job from home?

amother

Post Thu, Jan 16 2014, 5:16 pm
I work during the day as a therapist but unfortunately it's just not enough. Does anyone know of a job I could do at home in the evenings, such as editing for magazines, books, or something similar? Thanks!

allthingsblue

Post Thu, Jan 16 2014, 5:20 pm
You gotta do the groundwork- send an email or call some newspapers, magazines etc., have some of your work ready to show them. There isn;t so much advertising for editing, but if you do coldcalling (and keep at it- don't give up right away) you may get somewhere.
Also try tzedokah organizations, they might appreciate getting help with their articles (some of those articles are in serious need of editing!)
Good luck.

TwinsMommy

Post Thu, Jan 16 2014, 5:23 pm
if you're interested in direct sales or network marketing, I have opportunities for you and you can PM me. it's more money per hour than editing, generally speaking, but sales isn't for everyone--- if you WANT editing you might not want sales-- they're very different. Editing would drive me bonkers. Smile

gp2.0

Post Thu, Jan 16 2014, 5:24 pm
Most magazines have full time in-house editors.

However maybe you can contact them and offer to write a column or series based on your therapy expertise?

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Jan 16 2014, 6:41 pm
Join the Soferet's email list (email yocheved@diamondediting.com), there are often job opportunities there. or you can email info@targemtranslations.com they often look for tape transcribers.

Also, you can set up a profile on LinkedIn, and you might get job offers.

amother

Post Thu, Jan 16 2014, 6:58 pm
Thanks a lot for your replies.
Mama bear - my linkedin account is all about me being a therapist, so should I add to it? I did do some proofreading, years ago. Or would I just post that I'm looking for editing?
About the sales - I need something I can do while kids are sleeping, so I'm guessing sales is all about talking on the phone?

TwinsMommy

Post Thu, Jan 16 2014, 7:52 pm
actually I do the majority of my work online but yes, I also use the phone.... but once my kids are sleeping my being on the phone is fine. And quite honestly I've had MANY an evening when clients and team members have heard in the background "MOMMMMY I need a drink of WATERRRRR" and the professionalism of my business is out the window, but I make good money anyway. lol. Oh goodness one time my daughter was unexpectedly home (can't remember if she was sick home from school or awake past bedtime) when I had a face to face appointment and "helped" me by handling a zillion samples and moving them all over the place.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics