Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Moving to Boston/Brighton

amother

Post Sun, Jan 12 2014, 7:50 pm
We are moving to Boston/Brighton sometime in the next 2-3 months. This has been in the works for awhile, but now it's official. We are very much Modern Orthodox, but we can't afford to move to Newton or Brookline, and I am concerned, because many people keep saying that Brighton is very "yeshivish," or "right wing," or that there aren't really very many "modern" people there. So, what's the story? Is it true? I would be very happy to make friends with people who aren't exactly like me, but would they be happy if I'm not exactly like them? And, more generally, are people friendly and welcoming? We visited Newton for a Shabbos, and it was not really for us, even if we could afford to live there. Also, what would people recommend, to get to know the community? We have two children, one preschool age, and one who, we hope, will be going to Maimonides. TIA for any insight or advice. I am also just really, really nervous about the move overall, so any of those infamous Imamother "hugs" would be very much appreciated.

amother

Post Sun, Jan 12 2014, 7:56 pm
Have you considered Sharon? Diverse & welcoming. Lots of families send their kids to Maimondes.

amother

Post Sun, Jan 12 2014, 7:57 pm
OP here. Yes, we briefly considered it, but DH totally rejected the commute.

imasinger

Post Sun, Jan 12 2014, 8:26 pm
There are MO families in Brighton; many daven at Kadima. There is occasionally less expensive housing to be had in Brookline, too, depending on what you are looking for.

Most people are friendly regardless of derech. Mixed in the heart of the RW area have been some stalwart Maimo folks, and everyone seems to get along very well. There is more than one family that has kids in TA and in Maimo for various reasons.

Feel free to pm me for more info on the area, housing, schools, etc.

amother

Post Wed, Jan 22 2014, 11:39 pm
What about Malden? It is a very mixed community, so, pretty much no matter where you fall, you would find others like you (having said that, the rabbi is from BMG, so he is def. not MO, but there are certainly others with whom you would find similarities.

They have a bus that goes to all the schools, including Maimo.

www.MoveToMalden.org

amother

Post Thu, Jan 23 2014, 12:31 am
Sorry I'm anonymous but I don't want to give myself away. Even though it's on the the more RW, there's a bit of a mix. There is Kadima as imasinger mentioned. It recently got a rabbi from YCT so that's up to you decide if that's for you or not.

There's a bit more modern crowd at The New Ashkenaz Minyan At The Sefardi Shul. Yes, that's really the name although most people call it New Ashkenaz. It's not really modern, but it's overall a less yeshivish crowd.

Brighton has a "shabbos" park where you'll meet a TON of people once the weather warms up. It's hard to initially meet people in the winter...but please make sure to come to Priscilla park once you can. Later in the afternoon tends to be most popular after everyone naps, but there will be people earlier too. You'll definitely see the more Lakewood type of crowd (hint: you'll see black!), but there will be a spectrum and people really are very friendly and open. There are a ton of college and post college people here so people are used to being open to other types of people, being friendly, guests etc.

I realize it's not your ideal community but since you're moving anyway, keep in mind that there are many nice things about it.

Do you have a place to live yet? Are you buying or renting? It's a tight and expensive market as I'm sure you know by now.

Hatzlacha in everything!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating