Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
My Fitness Pal - 1200 calories

amother

Post Tue, Feb 18 2014, 12:52 pm
I've downloaded the My Fitness Pal on my phone and have been using it about 2 weeks now.
Anyone else using it?

My Calorie count seems very low. 1200 calories. I'm only trying to lose 5 lbs. I work at a computer but also run around and take care of my young children. Is that number even possible while keeping up my energy. I have done it some days but it is hard.

also any ideas on using it for shabbos? I have no idea how to count kugel, cholent, liver, etc. I haven't entered Friday night or Shabbos yet.

I love how you can scan any product, including the heimish brands and it automatically includes the calorie count.

Any words of wisdom in using it well.

Post Tue, Feb 18 2014, 1:08 pm
amother wrote:
I've downloaded the My Fitness Pal on my phone and have been using it about 2 weeks now.
Anyone else using it?

My Calorie count seems very low. 1200 calories. I'm only trying to lose 5 lbs. I work at a computer but also run around and take care of my young children. Is that number even possible while keeping up my energy. I have done it some days but it is hard.

also any ideas on using it for shabbos? I have no idea how to count kugel, cholent, liver, etc. I haven't entered Friday night or Shabbos yet.

I love how you can scan any product, including the heimish brands and it automatically includes the calorie count.

Any words of wisdom in using it well.

There's a whole bunch of us using it successfully. You can up your daily calories by exercising. If you eat back the calories you exercise then you don't lose weight but you get in shape. At least this is how it works for me.

The program allows users to add to the data base. All the foods you mentioned are in there. You can even add your own recipes.

Good luck.

real israeli

Post Tue, Feb 18 2014, 1:34 pm
I use it too. I don't have a problem staying within my 1200 calories (I'm often under) but I tend to go over my protein allowances each day.
Anyone have any ideas of non protein filled foods for breakfast/lunch/supper

vintagebknyc

Post Tue, Feb 18 2014, 1:38 pm
real israeli wrote:
I use it too. I don't have a problem staying within my 1200 calories (I'm often under) but I tend to go over my protein allowances each day.
Anyone have any ideas of non protein filled foods for breakfast/lunch/supper

protein is the only way I can stay within 1200.

I eat a pretty healthy vegetarian diet, so I don't even look at those allowances. I just count the calories.

can you eat too much protein?

real israeli

Post Tue, Feb 18 2014, 1:42 pm
Somehow, if I eat an egg and whole wheat roll for breakfast (with some veges), salad and tuna for lunch/grilled cheese sandwich with whole wheat for lunch and chicken for supper - im always over my protein allowance.
Any ideas for change of menu?

vintagebknyc

Post Tue, Feb 18 2014, 1:53 pm
what I'm asking is, why do you feel you need to shoot for that goal?

granolamom

Post Tue, Feb 18 2014, 2:12 pm
I tried MFP for a few months. I lost 6 of the 8 lbs I wanted to lose. I was not losing at 1200, only at 1100. could be I wasnt counting properly (I was measuring but not weighing my food). I was not eating back exercise cal's because then I'd stop losing.
in the end, I could not sustain a 1200 cal diet. it was just not enough food for me. I was tired, hungry, and sick and miserable.
I ditched it and so far I've maintained the loss, I'm just trying to eat more carefully. I found that the 'cals in cals out' mentality was dangerous for me, I'd eat 1100 cals of pizza and chocolate because I could. I need more than 1100 cals to feel full on my typical vegan fare.
I know it works for many people, but it messed with my mind.

amother

Post Tue, Feb 18 2014, 2:26 pm
Thanks for all the feedback\advice.

Do you have a method to divide your calories through the day?

IRock

Post Tue, Feb 18 2014, 11:24 pm
Bump

vintagebknyc

Post Tue, Feb 18 2014, 11:34 pm
granolamom wrote:
I tried MFP for a few months. I lost 6 of the 8 lbs I wanted to lose. I was not losing at 1200, only at 1100. could be I wasnt counting properly (I was measuring but not weighing my food). I was not eating back exercise cal's because then I'd stop losing.
in the end, I could not sustain a 1200 cal diet. it was just not enough food for me. I was tired, hungry, and sick and miserable.
I ditched it and so far I've maintained the loss, I'm just trying to eat more carefully. I found that the 'cals in cals out' mentality was dangerous for me, I'd eat 1100 cals of pizza and chocolate because I could. I need more than 1100 cals to feel full on my typical vegan fare.
I know it works for many people, but it messed with my mind.

it did it for ten months, loved 11 pounds. stopped b/c I was really ill with something not related where I required "soft comfortable foods", which I turned ice cream and mac and cheese all day. for two months

but, I lost five in the first three weeks, and then it took a bit over nine to lose the next six. on it again, for a month, haven't even gotten on the scale. and I rarely ate exercise cals, because I was not in a maintaining place
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise