Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Ash Wednesday

self-actualization

Post Tue, Mar 04 2014, 11:09 am
PSA: Ash Wednesday is tomorrow. SO ... if you see people with smears of coal on their foreheads, do not mention anything. Especially, do not tell them that there is a smudge on their forehead and they should wash it off.

In a related interesting point, this means that Pesach is near, because Easter is based on Pesach (just look it up in wiki - I realized this last year when people kept asking me when Easter was and I had no idea. There's some connection to Pesach.)

Chayalle

Post Tue, Mar 04 2014, 11:15 am
Ha! I'll never forget my first encounter with Ash Wed....

Was all of 20, working at my first job. Walked into the office and the first thing I noticed is that my manager had black on her forehead.

Was thinking whether or not to tell her to wash up, when supervisor walked in and she had it too!

Went to check the bathroom mirror to see if something's brushing against us...nope, I was clean.

Went back to my desk. John, the guy at the next desk, came next, and I see it's not just the women.....

Kept my mouth shut till a staff meeting later in the day, when they all start discussing where they went to the ash....told them how I'd never seen this before. They were all cracking up.

Have shared this with many a coworker since....they all find it hilarious.

Rutabaga

Post Tue, Mar 04 2014, 11:25 am
When I was in high school, we were able to visit a local nursing home during lunch period on Wednesdays as one of the acceptable ways to fulfill our chessed hours.. As you might imagine, one day we showed up and some of the residents had smudges on their foreheads. We started worrying that they were not being well taken care of or that there was elder abuse going on, but luckily one of the residents enlightened us before we ended up embarrassing ourselves.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics