Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Wearing a sheitel with a very short haircut

amother

Post Fri, Apr 25 2014, 10:35 am
I only wear sheitels out of the house, I cut my own hair and right now it's just long enough to put in a ponytail...I would really like it to be shorter....not completely shaved off but only a few inches long. I wear a sheitel band...will my sheitel slip around or make my head itch if I cut my hair very short? also when wearing a tichel or turban at home....does your hair stick out the sides or back when its very short?

amother

Post Fri, Apr 25 2014, 12:30 pm
It must be a very hard length to keep covered

Kitten

Post Fri, Apr 25 2014, 12:53 pm
I have no experience with sheitel bands, but if you wear a tichel or turban at home, unless you wear something under it, little hairs will inevitably end up sticking out after a while, regardless if you have short or long hair. Even when women shave, most of the time you see some hair growing back, especially if you have dark hair.

amother

Post Fri, Apr 25 2014, 1:07 pm
op here

kitten; I notice my hair constantly slipping out of my tichels at home....and it drives me crazy! I thought maybe it was because my hair just barely can be tied in a ponytail at this length...but I'd have the same issue if my hair was shorter? it just seems like really short hair would be so much easier...but I wanted to double check that before I start cutting. lol

greenfire

Post Fri, Apr 25 2014, 5:34 pm
a short haircut would need to be maintained to keep it that way - are you going to cut your hair every 3 weeks ?

just a reminder ~ it's sefira

I have no experience but I've heard some women use a do-rag to keep their hair together under coverings

http://www.amazon.com/Wave-Bui.....img_y

PtownMommy

Post Fri, Apr 25 2014, 6:31 pm
re: sefira
aylor, but I remember learning that a married woman may cut her hair during sefira if the longer length is making it difficult to keep covered.

busymother

Post Fri, Apr 25 2014, 6:40 pm
I kept my hair really short for a while but it was always falling out of my shaitel and snood... now I keep it long enough to put in a pony and I gotta say it makes it much simpler! Still tempted to give myself a shave though.,. Salut (trying to find a thinking man!)

greenfire

Post Sun, Apr 27 2014, 10:15 am
PtownMommy wrote:
re: sefira
aylor, but I remember learning that a married woman may cut her hair during sefira if the longer length is making it difficult to keep covered.

if you keep your hair short & cutting to maintain the short covered it's entirely different than if you wake up one day during sefira & decide to cut it short

amother

Post Sun, Apr 27 2014, 2:35 pm
If you cut your hair short you may have to adjust the cap

mimimom

Post Mon, May 19 2014, 1:18 pm
It's TERRIBLE on a shaitel to have hair that short. Not only does the sweat from your head end up on the net, causing it to fall apart much faster, but the short hair rubs back and forth on the net breaking the hairs and further wearing the net out. I wouldn't do it.

mimimom

Post Mon, May 19 2014, 1:21 pm
Get a velvet no slip headband to wear under your tichel. It will keep you hair from sneaking out AND keep your tichel in place too. The Wrapunzel dot com website has great ones at the best price I've seen.

rockingbells

Post Mon, May 26 2014, 5:41 pm
Hey! I got a pixie cut before Pesach! I am so excited to be able to give a real answer to this.

- a short, short haircut does need to be maintained, but not every three weeks! If I didn't cover my hair, and wanted it to look good, then yes, it would need to be maintained much more often. But I do cover my hair, and I don't mind that my pixie isn't so up to date.

- I wear a wig grip band under my sheitel, and I use that band to hold the little hairs back. The only hairs that stick out are like peyos area, and they are covered by the shietel.

-When I wear a fall with a headband, the little peyosy hairs are visible, but its not that bad and therefore not an issue. I'm probably the only person who notices it.

- Cutting my hair so short has been an awesome choice for being comfortable in my sheitels. There is no hair bump, everything feels secure against my head, and I haven't had any of the sweat-related problems that someone mentioned here. It has been absolutely more comfortable.

-Little hairs totally stic out under a tichel. I use a wig grip like a headband to keep those hairs out of the way and wear a tichel on top. That's a little annoying, since part of the ease of tichels is that you just throw it on.

But for me, the pros have totally outweighed the cons. Most importantly: I love my haircut!

I recently went to my sheitel macher to get my sheitel taken in (since the cap doesn't need room for my hair anymore) and I told her I'll probably not grow my hair out for a long long time because I am so happy with it.

Hope that helps.

Dolly Welsh

Post Mon, May 26 2014, 6:07 pm
A wig cap can be useful. Some are the whole-head, and some have a hole at the back for hair to stick out of. Some are mesh.

They protect the wig from sweat. They also keep it from itching.

https://www.google.com/#q=wig+cap

It is useful to have lots of them. They go into the washing machine and dryer, in a mesh bag.

I don't always wear them. But I do if I am going to be wearing a wig for a long time, outside the home.

Beige is useful color. If it peeks out a little you don't want a noticeable color.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics