Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Landlord wants to raise rent bec of a/c. How much $$?
Previous  1  2

chocolate chips

Post Tue, Jul 01 2014, 3:11 pm
I just want to add that everyone will now start jumping up and down that no lease = nasty landlord = do NOT pay etc etc.

In my not so humble opinion, if you are using the AC a lot as in it is on all day and all night, then his bill does go up way more than he expected and estimated when creating the rent bill. Perhaps he saw last year that you really added electricity so he said this year he wants you to help him out a little. $50 a month in the summer months is not THAT much to have a cool house.

Perhaps ask him to compromise and pay a little less, but put your ac on to energy saver and don't have it on as long.
And btw having it on a timer to go on and off every hour for example costs more.

amother

Post Tue, Jul 01 2014, 3:21 pm
ElTam wrote:
My electric bill goes from $60 in the winter to $120 in the summer with the two a/c units running. BUT, there is also wear and tear on the units. If they are not your units, each year they are used is one less year they can be used.

I would ask if you can see electric bill and how he arrived at his calculations.

Your electric bill is only $60 a month? Please tell us your tricks.

mommyhood

Post Tue, Jul 01 2014, 3:21 pm
amother wrote:
No. We are living here over a year and he did not say anything last summer.

If you're there over a year then I think it's fair for him to ask for more money. Our rent is raised every year when we renew our lease, that's pretty standard. I know you don't have a lease but the landlord is allowed to reevaluate the costs after that long.

amother

Post Tue, Jul 01 2014, 3:29 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:
so you have no lease at all?

correct

vintagebknyc

Post Tue, Jul 01 2014, 3:48 pm
amother wrote:
correct

sorry to tell you what you already know: landlord can do anything he likes.

I'd ask him for a figure, than ask if you can split the difference.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jul 01 2014, 4:45 pm
Just so you know, my window units cost me much much more than $30 a month in Brooklyn, so if that is where you are, you can probably expect your landlord to charge you more than what most posters are quoting.
$250 per unit per for a 10 week period is usually the going rate up in the Catskills where people don't have their own separate electric meters, unless the rate has gone up in the last few years.

Last edited by ra_mom on Tue, Jul 01 2014, 4:50 pm; edited 2 times in total

amother

Post Tue, Jul 01 2014, 4:47 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:
sorry to tell you what you already know: landlord can do anything he likes.

I'd ask him for a figure, than ask if you can split the difference.

I knew he could technically raise the rent at any time. Its just frustrating to find out about this the day before rent is due. Not much time to come up with the cash. My main point of posting was to get an idea of a fair amount to pay.
From the responses here it seems like he is asking to much. He wants $80/month.

vintagebknyc

Post Tue, Jul 01 2014, 4:48 pm
amother wrote:
I knew he could technically raise the rent at any time. Its just frustrating to find out about this the day before rent is due. Not much time to come up with the cash. My main point of posting was to get an idea of a fair amount to pay.
From the responses here it seems like he is asking to much. He wants $80/month.

ugh. I'm sorry. I don't think that's a crazy $$ amount if you're in NYC, but telling you the day before is lousy. possible to strike a deal?

estyn_ny

Post Tue, Jul 01 2014, 6:29 pm
Op, having no lease does NOT mean he can raise rent at any time or add to bills on the last day befroe you pay rent!

tell him you will work out a fair agreement adn he hasd to give you time!

Did anyone read the story about the fired nanny that refuses to leave the house?? The landlord does not have the right to kick you out. It is your home legally even w/o lease

The only reason to pay up is if you are friendly in the community and want to stay friendly and not fight.
But friendly people don't ask for extra $$ not agreed on, a day before you have to come up with it.

You actually have the power in the situation, make him make a deal with you

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jul 01 2014, 7:45 pm
FYI, the amount of electricity used depends on BTUs, whether the voltage is 220 or American, etc.

chocolate chips

Post Tue, Jul 01 2014, 8:04 pm
$80???
I dont think that is a lot at all in pthe larger picture.

It is frustrating I get that but it is not worth fighting about.

vintagebknyc

Post Tue, Jul 01 2014, 8:08 pm
I've been thinking about this all day, OP, going back to my bills to see how much the AC costs me in the summer.

but the thing that kept nagging me was how your landlord approached you about this. I'd pay the $$, and start looking for a new place. $80 a month for a few months is a small price to pay to find out the way this landlord will treat you in the future. (and if he's doing it now, he will do it again.)

amother

Post Wed, Jul 02 2014, 11:01 am
I pay $25.00 a month for one window a/c. It's on Shabbos for 18 hours. It's on at night. It is sometimes on during the day, but mostly not. I doubt it costs my landlord more than that! Im B''H lucky that my landlord is a reasonable person.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics