Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Buying home with asbestos

amother

Post Sat, Sep 12 2009, 10:57 pm
dh and I are looking into a house that has asbestos in the basement. how would we go about removing it? what are our options. HELP!!! is this something the seller should be doing for us?

micki

Post Sat, Sep 12 2009, 11:04 pm
we bought our home with asbestos. its in the unfinished part of the basement and we never really go there. its only an issue if we go in there. it is very expensive to remove so unless you plan on using that room, don't bother removing it. jsut leave it and shut the door and tell kids not to go in.
its your responsibilty unless you make a different deal witht he previosu owners

mummiedearest

Post Sat, Sep 12 2009, 11:04 pm
have you had an inspection yet? sometimes it's best to just leave the asbestos where it is. get an engineer or inspector to look the place over before panicking.

mimsy7420

Post Sun, Sep 13 2009, 12:35 pm
I would personally run the other way. Asbestos has the C word written all over it.

greenfire

Post Sun, Sep 13 2009, 8:54 pm
are you getting some great bargain ... because professional asbestos removers cost an arm & a leg ... although if you wear the right protective gear and it's an easy enough location - you might be able to tear it out yourself ...

don't make any deals without knowledge ... can you get an estimate - does the city need to inspect ... are they allowing the sale with said asbestos ...

NotInNJMommy

Post Sun, Sep 13 2009, 9:05 pm
asbestos management isn't necessarily removal as the best option. Sometimes it's using methods to contain and not disturb it. You'd be surprised how many commercial facilities might have asbestos containment vs. asbestos removal.

Lady Godiva

Post Sun, Sep 13 2009, 9:37 pm
Quote:
although if you wear the right protective gear and it's an easy enough location - you might be able to tear it out yourself ...

DON'T remove asbestos yourself. There are laws regarding the proper disposal of asbestos. It's not something to experiment with.

greenfire

Post Sun, Sep 13 2009, 9:55 pm
really all you need to know is how to follow instructions ... check this out for yourself ...

http://www.maacenter.org/abate.....t.php

wwmom

Post Sun, Sep 13 2009, 10:37 pm
We bought a home with asbestos and got professionals to remove it. It cost over $2K It needed to be done bec. part of the asbesdos was already disturbed, meaning that particles were in the air. When you get your home inspection find out if it's intact or if it has already been disturbed. If it is intact you don't have to remove it.

Lady Godiva

Post Sun, Sep 13 2009, 10:45 pm
greenfire wrote:
really all you need to know is how to follow instructions ... check this out for yourself ...

http://www.maacenter.org/abate.....t.php

I guess anything can be done by yourself..but it is pretty complicated.

amother

Post Wed, Jul 09 2014, 9:08 pm
HELP! We just had a home inspection and the inspector said the basement and floor of the closets vinyl tiles have asbestos. He kept saying 'DONT WORRY, DONT WORRY' he even said that we don't need to remove it, and that it's best that we leave it alone. We told him we wanted to finish the basement, put down carpet, and to be a place where the kids can play. He said that it's totally fine if we'd cover it with carpet and just not think about it since it's not disturbed. Should I trust him? Is this true??

amother

Post Wed, Jul 09 2014, 9:28 pm
Where are you located?

There is major liability with asbestos. I would run. A contractor was taking me that if the contractor disposes of the asbestos wrong the homeowner is liable.

Yocheved84

Post Wed, Jul 09 2014, 9:32 pm
RUN THE OTHER WAY. Is mesothelioma worth the bargain price?

Please, OP, don't jeopardize your health or that of your children!!!!

amother

Post Wed, Jul 09 2014, 9:38 pm
Yocheved84 wrote:

According to the inspector (who has no negiyos at all to us buying or not buying the house), he said it's not a problem at all and it just needs to be covered.
He kept saying not to worry. He said all the houses around here have it since they were built in the 70's. He said it's just a problem if the tiles get damaged. I have no clue now I'm really confused.

vintagebknyc

Post Wed, Jul 09 2014, 9:42 pm
Yocheved84 wrote:

undisturbed asbestos is about as harmful as a fly. as long as it's intact, there are no fibers in the air. nobody is getting mesothelioma from an intact floor tile that will be hidden under padding and carpet.

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Jul 09 2014, 9:43 pm
Asbestos is only hazardous if it gets in the air. It's not a problem if the tiles aren't falling apart. So if the tiles are in good condition you could put down 1/4" lauan over them and then carpet. Personally, I'd be more concerned about lead paint on old windowsills.

Yocheved84

Post Wed, Jul 09 2014, 9:49 pm
OP, what about getting a second opinion from a second inspector? Go on the side of caution. Sure, many of us live in pre-war buildings with lead paint, asbestos, etc., but I would necessarily buy a place without the opinion of at least two experts.

Good luck. I'm sure all will work out, no matter what you choose.

hugs
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics