Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Any advice? ds 3 has herpetic gingivostomatitis

amother

Post Tue, Aug 05 2014, 5:50 pm
Ds has not been acting right for twobdays. Complaining that things hurt especially his mouth. I took him to the dentist to see if he can see why and he said he has herpetic gingivostomatitis. He says there's no cure. Its a virus that takes ten days to two weeks to run. And its contagious. Anyone have this?

utissis

Post Tue, Aug 05 2014, 5:55 pm
I don't know what exactly it is that he has but it sounds similar to hand foot and mouth virus. If it is that then there are sores in the childs mouth which make eating and drinking painful and they are generally unhappy. Two of my kids had it around the same time as it is very contagious. It does just take time to pass. I have heard that in Har Nof in Jerusalem someone sells a cream that is supposedly very effective. Refua Shelaima!!

amother

Post Tue, Aug 05 2014, 5:58 pm
Thanks for the reply he had the foot, Hdan and mouth disease last year. I am in ny. Wish I can get something to help him. I am going to call his pediatrician and see if she has any ideas.

utissis

Post Tue, Aug 05 2014, 6:05 pm
I think they say it usually only comes once but there are a couple of strains of it. I'm not a Dr but heard it this year when it went round the playgroups again. There is another cream called Oracort/Kenalog they are for mouth ulcers (kancker sores) maybe they can help him. They are available over the counter. Good luck!!

amother

Post Tue, Aug 05 2014, 6:35 pm
On another thread a few days ago someone was discussing herpes in her babys mouth and that she heard that goat milk straight from the goat was a miracle cure for it. Ive read about it a few times on this site. Do a search for goat milk.

Frumdoc

Post Tue, Aug 05 2014, 7:04 pm
Ouch.

It is very painful, and anything that cools or soothes his mouth will help him, so ice pops/ igloos, ice cream, cool yoghurt or milk. He probably won't want to eat either, as it will hurt.

Not acidic drinks, so no juice, even dilute, as it will irritate his sore mouth. He may not drink enough, and you need to monitor for dehydration, some adults end up on an iv as they can't tolerate enough oral fluids.

There are some numbing sprays or mouthwash, but check with your ped or pharmacist about suitability for children.

Some say salt water, but it can be very painful so I would avoid.

I don't know anything about so called miracle cures.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics