Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars
WATER URN - Shabbos mode?

queen

Post Sat, Dec 16 2006, 9:56 pm
Our hot water urn in the kitchen (for hot drinks) has a "shabbath mode" which I forgot to 'flick' on before Shabbos.

We weren't sure what that switch exactly does (as didn't our grandmothers all have urns without that option????) however to be on the safe side, we just didn't use it.

Am curious if any of you know what that shabbos mode actually does???????

Tefila

Post Sun, Dec 17 2006, 12:04 am
You could experiment yourself with it too dUring the week u know Wink

Marion

Post Sun, Dec 17 2006, 6:07 am
The Shabbat function keeps it warm. The regular function will reboil the water if it falls beneath a certain temperature. (At least, this is true for my urn.)

queen

Post Mon, Dec 18 2006, 2:56 pm
Tefila wrote:
You could experiment yourself with it too dUring the week u know Wink

I've done that.... but to my knowledge both ways keep the water warm....?!

queen

Post Mon, Dec 18 2006, 2:57 pm
Marion wrote:
The Shabbat function keeps it warm. The regular function will reboil the water if it falls beneath a certain temperature. (At least, this is true for my urn.)

now that makes sense, thank you very much.
By using the shabbos mode you're proventing the machine from reboiling the water from loss of heat.

Thanks Marion Queen

Pickle Lady

Post Thu, Dec 21 2006, 9:13 pm
What brand do you have.. I know that the brand I have used to make a shabbos mode but now they don't.

This shabbos mode prevents it from reboiling but unless you add more water then it won't reboil.

queen

Post Thu, Dec 21 2006, 9:27 pm
Pickle Lady wrote:
What brand do you have.. I know that the brand I have used to make a shabbos mode but now they don't.

This shabbos mode prevents it from reboiling but unless you add more water then it won't reboil.

Then why the need for Shabbos mode to begin with????
Those keeping shabbos wouldn't add water ON shabbos... so what's the point?

bonzie

Post Thu, Dec 21 2006, 9:53 pm
queen wrote:
Pickle Lady wrote:

maybe yom tov? you can add more water but can't really cause any lights or new fires to go on

Pickle Lady

Post Thu, Dec 21 2006, 10:10 pm
queen wrote:
Pickle Lady wrote:

that a good question... I was told thats why they stopped making a shabbos mode.

queen

Post Thu, Dec 21 2006, 11:25 pm
bonzie wrote:
queen wrote:
Pickle Lady wrote:

maybe yom tov? you can add more water but can't really cause any lights or new fires to go on

when you add more water the "warming up" light / red light goes on... so adding on Y'tov is not an option.....

catonmylap

Post Thu, Dec 28 2006, 7:48 am
My urn on shabbat mode, not only won't reboil the water (something that wouldn't happen anyway, unless you add water) but it disables the electronic buttons on top for letting out water. Only the manual one will work in shabbat mode.

We always switch ours over right before. The harder thing is to make sure it isn't left on shabbat mode from the previous week because then the water won't get boiled at all.

Mevater

Post Sun, Mar 25 2007, 4:43 pm
This all sounds so complicated. Is there a Shabbos appropriate urn, that's dependable and easy to operate?

TzenaRena

Post Sun, Mar 25 2007, 6:00 pm
Quote:
when you add more water the "warming up" light / red light goes on... so adding on Y'tov is not an option.....
But, you could add already boiled water (from a parve pot) and then the red light wouldn't go on.

queen

Post Mon, Mar 26 2007, 8:02 pm
I played around with it- and found that when the shabbos mode switch is ON- then even if I add cold water, the machine wont boil it up. Keeps everything the same. Where as when the shabbos mode is NOT on, as soon as I add cold water- the red 'boiling' light goes on, and it boils up the new water.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars