Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
My teen daughter has bipolar disorder

amother

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 7:38 pm
For the past three years our family has been struggling at home to raise our wonderful teenage daughter who can tragically turn into a person we don't know and can't protect. One reason is we live in a city with a minuscule Jewish population and nothing in the way of Jewish family services or education. It's become very difficult for us to keep her at home and even in this city, and we are willing to travel to the ends of the earth to find a loving, professional homelike family setting that has strong experience helping Jewish teenage girls at risk, would also see to her Jewish education, which is also delayed, and give her hope for her future. We are open to all options and advice from other families and professionals who understand our struggle. We are also strong believers in healthy choices, a whole foods diet, and natural healing options to compliment necessary medical intervention. Thank you.

Zehava

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 8:56 pm
There is a home in Flatbush for teenage girls with mental illness. The name eludes me at the moment. Something with wings

amother

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 9:02 pm
There was an article in one of the women's magazines in the last year or two about a woman who takes children into her home and gives them very customized diets as well as behavioral interventions. She has amazing success.

I think she deals mainly with autistic children, but who knows? Unfortunately, I don't remember any details. Someone here may know, or you might call Binah, Ami and Mishpacha & see if they remember.

Note: we have a daughter who had a few episodes we were convinced were bi-polar. Until a pattern emerged and we realized it was severe (but severe!) PMS. Of course you probably have a competent diagnosis, but even the top psychiatrist we took her to did not pick up on this. It was mother's intuition.
(Diet, rest and awareness were enough to get it under control.)

Dolly Welsh

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 10:22 pm
Wow. That's amazing.

OP, you are probably already keeping a calendar, the visual kind with a grid of the days of the month, with a mark on the days she has trouble.

That would show if it were around the time of her period. I am sure you know when that comes, too.

If you are using any organic or natural teas or unusual nutritional supplements, it might be possible she does not react well to that. There can be very unusual reactions to something that is harmless or beneficial to most people.

I am sure you are sparing with wheat, white sugar, trans fats, dyes, preservatives. Maybe even limit potatoes and tomatoes. Grapefruit does not mix well with some medications.

High protein, vegetables, animal fats like butter, in short modified paleo, might be of use.

Some people do well with special sunlight lamps. They can improve mood.

But I am no expert.

Kosher Vitamins dot com is a useful website.

Refuah Shleima.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children