Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Can We Make It In One Trip?

mumoo

Post Tue, Mar 27 2007, 2:48 am
We are iy'H driving to New Jersey from Chicago. Dh wants to drive straight thru. I can stay up late-he wakes up early so the driving is covered. But there are several children ranging from 17 to 3 in a minivan. It would cost us two hotel rooms and another day of meals to stay overnight. Anyone else make this drive? Without stopping?

farmom

Post Tue, Mar 27 2007, 3:53 am
I did a trip like that as a kid. Don't remember the exact ages, but I'm pretty sure there were 4-5 of us b/w ages 5-17. My parents hate to dtop on the way, so we just drove. We got a little crazy from each other after a while, but we did manage. I remember my mother refusing to give us drinks at a certain point. Wink

Just bring along lots of games (incl car/mind ones) pillows, blankets, and some nosh for the car.

And stop every so often, both to keep you awake, and, when the kids are up, to let them burn some energy

Aimee

Post Tue, Mar 27 2007, 7:04 am
I think it's doable - if you could leave just before or after bedtime, you'd be able to get at least eight of the hours out of the way.... also, when I was driving to Cleveland, someone (I can't remember who, sorry!) suggested renting one of those VCR/TV combos - it really worked for us, and wasn't too expensive. That way, the kids could watch movies - if there are any they all agree on, so much better! - and be distracted. I know some of the sets even come with headphones so the people not watching don't have to listen, but that was too pricey for us so I can't tell you how it worked.
Good luck, and have a terrific time!

mumoo

Post Tue, Mar 27 2007, 9:48 am
a neighbor convinced us to borrow their traveling dvd player. We have such kid blockbusters as Ushpizin, and inspired (men and women). Of course the requisite Uncle Moishy. Dh (who is very anti dvd player in the car) went to the library and rented:
Olympic Century: The Official History of the Modern Olympic Games
Echoes from the Whitehouse: A Celebration of the Bicentennial of America's Mansion
Jewish Chicago: 1948 and Beyond
Cantors: A Faith in Song

I'm going to try to 'forget' to pack these

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Mar 27 2007, 10:00 am
We nevr took two hotel rooms when I was a girl, we took sleeping bags.

It sounds doable but hard.

greenfire

Post Tue, Mar 27 2007, 10:07 am
When would you be driving .are you taking 80 .. and doesn't it take like 16 hours + extra time with kids ... how many kids? can you stop off on those "rest stops" people nap there ... but you have 2 drivers ... who both need sleep ... can you guys sleep in car ... some can some can't ...

mumoo

Post Tue, Mar 27 2007, 11:51 am
I haven't even looked at a map yet- we plan to leave after dinner tonite so kids can sleep in the car. Dh and I will take turns. One ds drives (and one has a permit) if we need rest, we'll ask him.

Choc- sleeping bags is a great idea-only we barely have room for what we already packed

greenfire

Post Tue, Mar 27 2007, 11:56 am
do you wanna stop in Cleveland ...

take advantage of your teens ... let em help drive ... although once I let my son help drive to NY and at a rest stop I was in bathroom - apparently looking very ill ... s/o asked if I was okay - I laughed and said now I'll be cause I'M DRIVING ... it's hard to be a backseat driver ... I literally sat behind him and steered the way with words of wisdom ... like watch out for that truck!!!

Mrs. Mommy

Post Tue, Mar 27 2007, 12:24 pm
I think if you psyche yourself and the kids up for the trip, you should manage. Just bring along plenty of nash and drinks for the kids, probably some sandwiches too and also bring along some travel games. It could really be a fun roadtrip if everyone is in the right mood.

mumoo

Post Tue, Mar 27 2007, 2:25 pm
green, it's amazing what we are able to live through, b'eH!

are you inviting us to stay with you in Cleveland? How far from Chicago is that? It'd probably be in the middle of the night that we pass through

Mrs. Mommy-I know food is always the magic formula; one problem is that the car is already clean so we really don't want to serve mamesh chometz, and also too many drinks make too many stops-but anyway, I'd rather stop more frequently with happy children than hear thirst complaints the whole way.

withhumor

Post Tue, Mar 27 2007, 4:43 pm
Forget the clean car, you ever made a long distance trip? You will be drowning in potato chips, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds from the bagels, and yes, tuna sandwiches and dripping orange sodas…. Yay!

Please, take the kids to the dollar store and let buy a book light , 1 each. Then, take a long dolls, magna doodle, and dvd (never tried the dvd). Crayons are out, writing is out. The older ones, game boys. They probably won’t sleep ones, although the little ones will sleep only you bring along their cozy blankets.

Have a ball, be safe, and DON’T buy those energy drinks. My dh drank two, and then fell asleep for 3 hours at a rest area!

greenfire

Post Tue, Mar 27 2007, 6:24 pm
mumoo wrote:
green, it's amazing what we are able to live through, b'eH!

are you inviting us to stay with you in Cleveland? How far from Chicago is that? It'd probably be in the middle of the night that we pass through

Mrs. Mommy-I know food is always the magic formula; one problem is that the car is already clean so we really don't want to serve mamesh chometz, and also too many drinks make too many stops-but anyway, I'd rather stop more frequently with happy children than hear thirst complaints the whole way.

If you want ... surely ... I have a downstairs apt ... no hot water ... but lights and a couple of matresses ... (you'll have to ignore everything else tho) and the door is always open ... it's about 6 - 8 hrs so about 1/2 way ... how many mumoos are coming?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics