Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Announcements & Mazel Tovs
Baby Rice Cereal MAY BE chometz

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Fri, Mar 23 2007, 9:28 am
From OU's website. don't assume you can just use or even not sell baby rice cereal"

There is possible chometz in most baby rice cereals, so the OU cannot recommend them for Passover use. However, there is no problem owning rice and making your own cereal over Passover.

One should make the cereal using a special non-Pesach, non-chametz pot, and this special pot (and any special utensils used for the cereal) should not be washed together with the Pesach dishes. You can Kasher a pot before Passover and dedicate it for making the rice real over Passover.

Similiarly, the grinding of the rice should not be done in a Passover grinder on Passover. You can grind the rice in a clean chometz grinder before Passover or purchase a dedicated grinder for use over Passover.

Sample Recipe:
Rice Cereal
1. 1/4 c. rice powder [brown or white (not enriched) rice ground in blender, food processor, or coffee grinder].
2. 1 cup water.
3. Bring liquid to boil in saucepan. Add the rice powder while stirring constantly.
4. Simmer covered for 10 minutes, mix in formula or breast milk and fruits if desired
5. Serve warm.

Contact Us
Orthodox Union
11 Broadway, 14th Floor
New York, NY 10004
Phone: 212-613-8241

ny21

Post Fri, Mar 23 2007, 3:12 pm
my pesach list that I have written on this form is from this establishment.

greenfire

Post Sun, Mar 25 2007, 10:06 am
why can't you avoid giving the baby this chometz ... I have managed with all 4 never to have this problem ... I think I had separate bottle for 1 kid for formula that I rinsed in bathroom ...

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sun, Mar 25 2007, 10:42 am
of course you shouldn't give him chometz!

greenfire

Post Sun, Mar 25 2007, 10:57 am
so why are you asking about rice cereal ... he could live w/o kitnyus too

Mrs. XYZ

Post Sun, Mar 25 2007, 11:11 am
I think she was just making people aware that the rice cereal IS also chometz. I too mistakenly assumed that the rice cereal was probably only kitniyos until I checked and found out. (same for rice krispies, and same for some rice cakes)
But I wont patchke and make my own rice cereal (which is kitniyos) even though he is used to eating a full bowl of cereal every morning. Maybe I'll start him on eggs.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sun, Mar 25 2007, 6:26 pm
Yes, I was asking (my kids are all on normal solids).
I just remember one year we were thinking of not selilng real chometz and we were like, "rice cereal isn't chometz" and we found out IT IS!
I personally never gave my baby's kitniyos because there was enough else to eat (baby jars, chicken..), but for people who need to...!

Mirabelle

Post Mon, Mar 26 2007, 8:31 am
I am one who NEEDS to give my baby rice cereal. She has just started solid foods and is in the process of slowly getting used to all the veggies. Since we are supposed to try out each of the veggies with rice for three days, there is no way that by pesach we will be able to avoid giving her rice. My husband believes we should follow minhag yisraeli anyway, so he could care less. If I avoid giving her rice for a full 8 days first of all she will be VERY hungry and the doctor told us not to give her more than 5 bottles of formula a day. If I only give the baby veggies and formula she could get sick, she is not ready to have soo much veggies. I am not going to take that chance because of kitniyos.

micki

Post Mon, Mar 26 2007, 8:35 am
a 5 month old so dependant on rice cereal?

unless im reading wrong.
they dont reccomend solids till 6 months

Mirabelle

Post Mon, Mar 26 2007, 8:50 am
Yeah well she was 16 pounds at her 4 month visit (and 26 inches) not sure how much she weighs now, but she is a big eater and gets VERY hungry, especially when she is going through a growth spurt. Our doctor told us that at this size, and since she is eating 5 bottles a day and is still hungry she needs the calories from the rice and the veggies that we are slowly introducing. Every baby is different!

Mirabelle

Post Mon, Mar 26 2007, 8:51 am
And no she is not an obese baby that we are over feeding. She is in the 80 percentile for weight and 90th for height and has been since birth.

ruthanne

Post Mon, Mar 26 2007, 9:15 am
How about trying her on mashed potatoes and sweet potatoes which are also a good source of carb?

Mirabelle

Post Mon, Mar 26 2007, 9:20 am
I dont know, I would be so nervous that she would get sick. I think its just weird luck for us this year that this is a big rice cereal time for our baby. I think if she were a month younger or a month older we may have been able to get away with it, but this is where she is at the moment. I just don't see anyway around it.

Mrs. XYZ

Post Mon, Mar 26 2007, 10:23 am
Quote:
I am not going to take that chance because of kitniyos.

If you're giving her formula, then you're anyway giving her kitniyos!
Aren't all formulas kitniyos?

ruthanne

Post Mon, Mar 26 2007, 12:56 pm
I dont think that I could plan to give my baby kitniyos without trying out all other options first. If she takes formula thats one thing. But to plan on giving her rice cereal is a bit different, considering all the other type of food you could give her. Why not try her on fruit and veg and potatoes and if you feel she really needs it then ask a shaila.

greenfire

Post Mon, Mar 26 2007, 1:02 pm
I never followed any of those "rules" - and never had a problem with finding what to give the baby ... smush up "lady finger" cookies with a drop of milk ... that should work fine enough and mashed bananas - vegetables and chickens mashed fine with some soup

Mirabelle

Post Mon, Mar 26 2007, 10:53 pm
My doctor told me that new foods need to introduced carefully...three days at a time to check for allergies. I am certainly not ready to give this baby meat! I have a friend whose baby has severe milk and egg allergies, therefore I want to be very VERY careful when introducing new food. Its not worth a trip to the emergency room, like my friend had.

realeez

Post Tue, Mar 27 2007, 2:48 pm
shosh - there are sometimes some brands of baby rice cereals that do not contain wheat. you should be in touch with your rav about which ones are OK - it changes every year.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Thu, Mar 29 2007, 12:56 pm
in my opinion, if a baby is still on breastmilk and/or formula, fruits and veggies should suffice over pesach. you may just need to buy more. ask your dr.
I did that when my son was about 8-9 months, so why wouldn't it be enough for a younger baby? if fact, when my baby was 6 months, if I skipped solids all together one day, he was fine....

yoyosma

Post Thu, Mar 29 2007, 1:06 pm
I think you should ask your Dr about what you can do for these 8 days. I think that for 8 days you can give more than 5 bottles of formula, even if your baby is big or whatever.
You are right, your baby is not so big and I am sure she does get hungry, so give her more formula for those days! I also dont see why she would get sick with just plain veggies. You can do without rice if you really want to, I know I will be doing without Oatmeal myself.
And I have also skipped solids for a day for certain reasons and the baby was fine. I just nursed her one more time.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics