Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Thinking about regrowing my hair.

amother

Post Fri, May 23 2014, 5:09 pm
I shaved ever since I got married as per request of my husband. My marriage is falling apart and we separated for now. I was always very resentful about shaving. I have a few questions for those that dont shave.

How do you prevent your tichel and sheitel from slipping off?

Do u blow dry your hair after showering?

I dont want hairs slipping out from under my sheitel.

Will my hair.resemble the hair I had as a girl?

I want to grow it long. Do I need a longer sheitel?

How do I wear a pony to prevent a bulge?

Now the real question: how do u manage having hair plus a sheitel in the heat?

The reason I want to continue covering my hair ia for my kids' sake. I don't want them to feel ashamed with me.

mummiedearest

Post Fri, May 23 2014, 5:18 pm
I only wear tichels at this point. I use a homemade velvet headband to keep it secure. you can buy a wig grip headband, same idea. just make sure it's got velvet on both sides. I wear glasses, so I find that wisps come out due to my removing the glasses to clean them/putting on and taking off sunglasses. if this bothers you, you can trim or shave the area near the front of your ear.

sheitels: you should get some flat-ish clips to clip your hair close to your head. you do not need a longer sheitel for longer hair, but you will need a larger cap. don't purchase a wig until your hair is at your desired length. if you choose to cut your hair after buying a wig, be prepared to have some extra room in the cap. you can ask the sheitel macher to show you how to clip up your hair.

your hair may look like your younger hair, it may not. if you had a lot of highlights as a girl, be prepared to miss them. your hair isn't really exposed to sunlight, so no natural bleaching will occur. you can always dye your hair if you want to, no one will be the wiser.

hair plus sheitel in the heat? I assume that's why ppl wear pony sheitels. I never could handle it. I like tichels. if you wash your hair and put your sheitel on without drying your hair, you may stay cooler. I hear it's not so good for sheitels, though.

good luck.

ectomorph

Post Fri, May 23 2014, 5:23 pm
amother wrote:
I shaved ever since I got married as per request of my husband. My marriage is falling apart and we separated for now. I was always very resentful about shaving. I have a few questions for those that dont shave.

How do you prevent your tichel and sheitel from slipping off?

Do u blow dry your hair after showering?

I dont want hairs slipping out from under my sheitel.

Will my hair.resemble the hair I had as a girl?

I want to grow it long. Do I need a longer sheitel?

How do I wear a pony to prevent a bulge?

Now the real question: how do u manage having hair plus a sheitel in the heat?

The reason I want to continue covering my hair ia for my kids' sake. I don't want them to feel ashamed with me.
I wear a band, I do not blow dry my hair, I shave in front of my ears so that hairs don't slip out.
I took an extreme haircut once and it grew back to my old hair.
You do not need a longer shaitel.
To prevent a bulge depends how your shaitel is cut.

The essential mitzva is to cover your hair. You should not feel guilty about shaving.

In the heat, I wear a tichel. But I'm a lazy out of towner.

Ruchel

Post Sat, May 24 2014, 5:49 pm
How do you prevent your tichel and sheitel from slipping off? : right size, some swear by a "net" under. I just use the comb in front, not ever on the sides (painful to me)

Do u blow dry your hair after showering? never did, never do

Will my hair.resemble the hair I had as a girl? if not you can get high or low lights

I want to grow it long. Do I need a longer sheitel? not sure, maybe a bit if you want zero hair out unless you wear the net

How do I wear a pony to prevent a bulge? low, or you put it up with a flat barrette

Now the real question: how do u manage having hair plus a sheitel in the heat? short hair and/or sheitel, or force of habit... wet your hair or sheitel or both... NO SYNTHETIC and also on the worst days I wear a tichl

freidasima

Post Sat, May 24 2014, 6:04 pm
I always blow dry my hair after showering.
My house tichels are made of the kind of fabric that doesn't slip. I show my bangs in the house.
I wear a shoulder or somewhat below shoulder length sheitl and I have hair down to the middle of my back these days. I put it in a pony tail and then clip that up with a clip, flip around the ends over the top of my head and stick the sheitl on it.

Hair in the heat, no hotter than anything else.

amother

Post Sun, May 25 2014, 2:34 pm
Your hair will probably be darker then before, I know mine is.

Iymnok

Post Sun, May 25 2014, 2:41 pm
I like my pony to be just long enough to flip up under the sheitel or velour pretied

My pony is about 3" long. Hacked off myself

amother

Post Sun, May 25 2014, 2:49 pm
About the 'bulge problem'- my hair is thick and also, DH likes it longer (I do too), I wear the stocking cap made for this, EVERY day! Totally compresses my hair, also hair can breathe through stocking,and here's the plus- I can wash my wigs less often cuz they don't get as much of the oil from my hair! Very Happy

esmom

Post Sun, May 25 2014, 3:59 pm
Just wondering where can I purchase such a stocking cap? My hair bulges out also and I never heard of such a thing before. I am in lakewood

amother

Post Sun, May 25 2014, 4:08 pm
esmom wrote:
Just wondering where can I purchase such a stocking cap? My hair bulges out also and I never heard of such a thing before. I am in lakewood
You have to try it- it's amazing!! I've gotten it in CVS in hair aisle, might be packaged for men but it's cheap-like three dollars- and it works! Also can try any hair product store, or other pharmacies. I've found that there are all different types, and not all are comfortable. Some the band on end is too tight, some so loose that not stay on....but it's worth it to buy and try. I don't meant the spandex ones that they also sell- look for stocking type. Good luck hope it works! My hair is really thick, and it's a huge timesaver too- make low pony,and divide into two, then tuck each under stocking cap. Comfortable, and pple can't tell you have that much hair underneath! LOL

esmom

Post Sun, May 25 2014, 4:43 pm
Thanks so much. I will definitely try finding it the next time I go to CVS. Thanks.

papermageling

Post Tue, May 27 2014, 3:50 pm
You'll want a velvet headband to keep tichels or sheitels on securely (otherwise they tend to slip and show a bit). Make sure it's on correctly, as it'll make everything slip horribly if it's backwards!

You'll also need to figure out how to put up your hair. In a tichel, it's often easy. You can just put it in a bun. And you can use a ponytail for a snood. For me to wear a hat or sheitel though, I put my hair in pigtail braids and pin them up around my head. My hair is fairly long though, and I think a ponytail works for short hair.

Also, you'll need to trim the bottom of your hair often as you're growing it out, because the bottom will grow out unevenly, which could make it hard to put back.

sky

Post Tue, May 27 2014, 7:03 pm
amother wrote:
Your hair will probably be darker then before, I know mine is.

I think many people who cover have darker hair. If your hair gets no sun then it doesn't get natural highlights and becomes more of a blaa flatter color (not for everyone, but many)

Bpmom8

Post Wed, Jan 14 2015, 12:31 am
Didn't happen to my hair as I'm typing I reme that might be cause I have dark hair to begin with lol
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics