Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational
Rare Footage Of The Chofetz Chaim At First Knessia Gedolah

rainbow dash

Post Mon, Feb 23 2015, 10:28 am
https://www.youtube.com/watch?.....tu.be

This is amazing.

rainbow dash

Post Mon, Feb 23 2015, 10:29 am
All I want to do is yell at them to leave and save themselves. Sad.

etky

Post Mon, Feb 23 2015, 11:49 am
rainbow dash wrote:
All I want to do is yell at them to leave and save themselves. Sad.

Yes. I was thinking this as well. How many of them survived the next great war that engulfed Europe...
Incredible to see the diversity, the different type of Jews who were participating in the Congress.
I also enjoyed seeing the facial expressions on some of the people who were assembled. A certain sense of excitement and anticipation of something. The quality of the film seems quite good. Less jerky than most clips from that era. Anyone know why?

pause

Post Mon, Feb 23 2015, 12:01 pm
This is fascinating!!! THank you!

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Feb 23 2015, 12:05 pm
etky wrote:
Yes. I was thinking this as well. How many of them survived the next great war that engulfed Europe...
Incredible to see the diversity, the different type of Jews who were participating in the Congress.
I also enjoyed seeing the facial expressions on some of the people who were assembled. A certain sense of excitement and anticipation of something. The quality of the film seems quite good. Less jerky than most clips from that era. Anyone know why?

It's likely that the footage was converted to a digital format and cleaned up.

ETA: The Spielberg Collection is fascinating, a great deal of it is available on YouTube.

cbsp

Post Mon, Feb 23 2015, 1:35 pm
My first reaction, after I realized what/who I was watching (I was sent the clip without any explanation) was wow, what an opportunity to see these gedolim. To my great shame, after about a minute or so, I started getting antsy that there was no sound. How crazy is that - a chance to glimpse the gedolim of yesteryear and I'm bored???? Because there's no sound???? Am I that jaded?

After the clip finished I felt the same as rainbow dash... what became of all those young and not so young men? Some we know (R Elchonon Wasserman, hy"d), but I'm talking about the lay people there... I wonder if their descendants (if anyone survived) will see this...

Dolly Welsh

Post Mon, Feb 23 2015, 3:08 pm
Wow. Thanks for posting this.

myself

Post Mon, Feb 23 2015, 3:29 pm
Amazingly historical! Thanks for posting. I'd love to know who's who and what's going on. It's also fascinating to see the diversity of people and it would be interesting to know what their code of dress signified.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Feb 23 2015, 3:55 pm
I wish I knew who ANY of those people were. I probably know their names, but did not recognize anyone....

cbsp

Post Mon, Feb 23 2015, 4:04 pm
I got this with the clip. it's in Hebrew font, don't know if it'll post properly:

סרטון היסטורי מרתק מהכנסיה הגדולה תרפ"ג בוויען
בראש נראה באופן נדיר החפץ חיים ברור ויפה
עוד רואים את הטשארטקובער, רבי מנחם זעמבא, רבי אלחנן ווסרמן, הרב פרלמוטער מוורשה, ר''י רוזנהיים רבי מאיר שפירא הנייטרא רוב ור''ש מבאבוב בבחרותו.
בסרט נראים גם הגה״ק
רבי יעקב מאיר בידרמן
והרב מבנדין

Didn't fully understand it, can anyone translate? (I recognized the Chofetz Chaim)

rainbow dash

Post Mon, Feb 23 2015, 4:10 pm
The list in hebrew is a list of the rabbis that you see on the video.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Feb 23 2015, 4:28 pm
Thanks for that list!!

cbsp

Post Mon, Feb 23 2015, 4:30 pm
rainbow dash wrote:
The list in hebrew is a list of the rabbis that you see on the video.

Sorry, I wasn't clear Very Happy I recognized the Chofetz Chaim in the video before I saw the list of names.

StripedFlower

Post Mon, Feb 23 2015, 5:54 pm
Some people are saying the young man/bochur with flat biberhit (and tie!) is Reb Shloimeh Bobover, but I doubt it's him. He would have been 16 at the time - so it might fit, but iirc they were against the aguda.

merelyme

Post Mon, Feb 23 2015, 6:15 pm
cbsp wrote:
I got this with the clip. it's in Hebrew font, don't know if it'll post properly:

סרטון היסטורי מרתק מהכנסיה הגדולה תרפ"ג בוויען
בראש נראה באופן נדיר החפץ חיים ברור ויפה
עוד רואים את הטשארטקובער, רבי מנחם זעמבא, רבי אלחנן ווסרמן, הרב פרלמוטער מוורשה, ר''י רוזנהיים רבי מאיר שפירא הנייטרא רוב ור''ש מבאבוב בבחרותו.
בסרט נראים גם הגה״ק
רבי יעקב מאיר בידרמן
והרב מבנדין

Didn't fully understand it, can anyone translate? (I recognized the Chofetz Chaim)

A fascinating historical clip from the Knessiah Gedolah 5683 in Vienna
At the beginning is a rare appearance of the Chofetz Chaim, nice and clear
Also seen are the Tchortkover, Rabbi Menachem Ziemba, Rav Elchonon Wasserman, Harav Perlmutter from Warsaw, Rav Y. Rosenheim, Rabbi Meir Shapiro, the Nitra Rav and Rav Sh. of Bobov as a bachur.
In the film also seen are Hagaon Hakadosh Rabbi Yaakov Meir Biderman and the Rav of Bendin

cbsp

Post Mon, Feb 23 2015, 7:56 pm
Thank you merelyme.

FWIW, 5683 is 1922-1923
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational