Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Nursing but need to work- what job would work with that?

pointyshoes

Post Fri, Aug 07 2015, 7:58 am
Hi ladies im a nursing mom with extremely tight finances. However nobody will take me as an employee because I need to pump every 3 hrs in order to keep my supply up.
I really dont want to give up nursing as I want the best for my baby but what jobs could I do that would work with my nursing??
Ps clothing stores wont take me and im not a teaching type

PAMOM

Post Fri, Aug 07 2015, 8:12 am
A lawyer or HR person can give you more specific details, but most workplaces are required to provide arrangements for nursing mothers (place to pump and refrigerated storage). How do you know you won't be able to pump? I assume you're not discussing that at job interviews!

pointyshoes

Post Fri, Aug 07 2015, 8:34 am
I asked potential employees and made it clear that I would need to pump....they said that those rights to pump pertain to employees already employed by them. They have no obligation to take me on

Frumdoc

Post Fri, Aug 07 2015, 9:24 am
I kmow plenty of doctors and nurses who pump at work. There isn't necessarily a dedicated area, but a private corner or changing room can usually be found, and milk labelled so other colleagues don't use it for their coffee.

You should be entitled to natural breaks, which may give you enough time.

nyer1

Post Fri, Aug 07 2015, 9:52 am
why do you have to tell them in the interview? that should have nothing to do with the hiring process.
apply, go on interviews for whatever job u want. when u need to pump, if they give you a problem, find a lawyer. how ridiculous! pumping should only take 15 - 20 minutes tops anyway

PAMOM

Post Fri, Aug 07 2015, 10:13 am
It's completely inappropriate and unnecessary to bring up your nursing needs before you're hired and have started working there.

mha3484

Post Fri, Aug 07 2015, 10:59 am
I work ten minutes from my house so I can tell you what I do. I started my job when my baby was 2 months old and this has worked well for us.

My morning is organized so that the last thing I do is nurse before I leave at 9.

I either come home for lunch or DH brings DS to my office and I nurse again.

One bottle around in the afternoon but DS doesnt always want it so now he eats some baby food.

I come home home around 5 and feed again.

I detest pumping so this works well for me. I am not sure what kind of jobs you are looking for in terms of commute or rigidity.

amother
Jetblack

Post Fri, Aug 07 2015, 11:27 am
If you tell employers at the hiring process that you are pumping, you will probably not find a job.

How often are your pumping?

You are entitled to a lunchbreak, bathroom break, etc.

As long as you present yourself as someone who needs to pump, they aren't going to focus on your strengths and what you can offer as an employee.

MagentaYenta

Post Fri, Aug 07 2015, 11:40 am
pointyshoes wrote:
I asked potential employees and made it clear that I would need to pump....they said that those rights to pump pertain to employees already employed by them. They have no obligation to take me on

Check your state laws. Many states do protect the rights of nursing mothers when it pertains to pumping or nursing in the workplace.

mamallama

Post Fri, Aug 07 2015, 2:12 pm
Definitely not something to mention on an interview! There are laws about this, and you can figure it out once you have the job. Plenty of non pumping employees take breaks throughout the day. I have a friend who works with some heavy smokers that take multiple smoking breaks throughout the day. There is no reason that you can't take a few short breaks to express breast milk to feed your baby. I pump once a day at work, and I can even work on my laptop while I pump.

SRS

Post Fri, Aug 07 2015, 3:13 pm
You never demand on a 1st interview. Let the potential employer want you first. Then they can consider whether or not to provide you this leeway. Granted, I do not know the legalities, but people don't hire as a chessed.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Aug 07 2015, 4:18 pm
PAMOM wrote:
It's completely inappropriate and unnecessary to bring up your nursing needs before you're hired and have started working there.

This.

Miri7

Post Fri, Aug 07 2015, 5:22 pm
I wouldn't bring it up in interviews.

Instead, you should find out what your rights are in your state. What breaks is an employer required to give you by law? In my area, OOT, I think it's a lunch break and two 15 minute breaks. People often pump during those breaks. Call an agency in your state that will know the local state law. Maybe la leche league, or something like that. As a nursing mom, you may have certain rights, like a private space to pump in, access to fridge, certain length breaks.

So, I would find out your rights first. Then interview and get the job. THEN assert your rights as an employee - they can't fire you for asserting your rights without risking liability themselves.

But if you're already asking for "accomodations" in interviews, you're not going to get an offer.

imaima

Post Sat, Aug 08 2015, 4:42 pm
pointyshoes wrote:

I assume you are not obligated to inform them about pumpin gin advance. I don't believe they are allowed to discriminate you like that.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics