Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Interviewing for a job I'm not interested in

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Oct 11 2015, 11:07 pm
I have an interview tomorrow. It actually came out of the blue, as I had submitted my resume over a year ago and never heard back. In the time since, I found a different job that ended up not going well and about two months ago I decided to go in a different direction career wise. I'm looking for a totally different type of job and have already mentally come to terms with leaving the old path behind. Now, out of the blue, I have this opportunity. It's not great and I'm not terribly interested, but I am qualified and it is paid work and we could use the money. I could always do this while continuing to pursue my new path and leave as soon as it becomes possible. On the other hand, I am really done with my old field and not feeling great about taking it up again, and the job itself may not really be worth it not just in terms of money but in terms of stress. Also, I feel like going to the interview is wasting people's time when I know I'm not planning on staying in the long term. But I'm currently not working, which isn't great either. Should I go to the interview, or forget it and keep trying in my new field?

kb

Post Sun, Oct 11 2015, 11:14 pm
Assuming they'd hire you and you'd take the job... is it possible that of the work environment is better than what you've had before, that you might end up staying there long term?

rachel6543

Post Sun, Oct 11 2015, 11:21 pm
Yes, I would still go to the interview. First, it's a good way to practice your interviewing skills. Plus, even if this job may not be a good fit, down the road that company have something that is a better fit. Also, an interview can be a way to expand your professional network.

Also, you never know, but the job could turn out to be a better fit than you know. Last summer I was job hunting and interviewed for several jobs. One of the jobs I interviewed for I didn't think it was going be a good fit at all before the interview, but the interview completely changed my expectations. I actually ended up taking the job (over other offers) and am still working for this company. Turns out I have a great boss and really overall am very happy in this job. I don't know if I'll be working here forever, but it's definitely a company I plan to be at for the next 5 yrs.

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Oct 11 2015, 11:29 pm
So my last job going poorly was really a straw that broke the camel's back, I had been considering doing something different for awhile, but the bad job is what pushed me to actually try to make it happen. I know forba fact the place I'm interviewing with is not such a great environment and wasn't terribly enthusiastic about it back when I sent my resume. There is also zero chance of getting the kind of job I really want there.

seeker

Post Sun, Oct 11 2015, 11:57 pm
If you're desperate enough for any kind of work that you'd take an offer, then go to the interview and fake the enthusiasm. But if you are quite sure that you'd rather wait for a more interesting offer in a different field or whatever, then simply call them back and tell them that you are no longer interested. It's been a year since you contacted them, after all, they surely don't really think you just sat around waiting for them.

zaq

Post Mon, Oct 12 2015, 11:03 am
seeker wrote:
If you're desperate enough for any kind of work that you'd take an offer, then go to the interview and fake the enthusiasm. But if you are quite sure that you'd rather wait for a more interesting offer in a different field or whatever, then simply call them back and tell them that you are no longer interested. It's been a year since you contacted them, after all, they surely don't really think you just sat around waiting for them.

This.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics