Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Lowest food budget possible (no government benefits)

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sun, Nov 01 2015, 8:51 pm
For a family with a few teenagers (big eaters) and a few younger children in the New York area, what is a reasonable amount to spend on food every month? What if we are really careful and try to keep food expenses down?

MimiMommy

Post Sun, Nov 01 2015, 9:14 pm
By "expenses down" do you mean meat twice a week? once a week? Not ever? No dairy? Dairy sometimes? Do you cook or bake things from scratch? From my experience, living in NY, there are a lot of interpretations for "keeping expenses down".

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Nov 02 2015, 9:20 am
OP here. A family in which both parents work full-time (til night, not mid-afternoon). With appropriately hungry growing teenagers. No food allergies. No food restrictions other than kashrut.

LittleDucky

Post Mon, Nov 02 2015, 10:30 am
To figure out the "lowest food budget" look at your grocery needs for this week- one week at a time. Everyone is different. I can't therefore tell you how much to spend but maybe we can figure how to get it the "lowest for you".
Can you shop different stores? How many major markets nearby? (Shop right type)?
Will you eat non heimish brands? Cholov staam?
What will your budget be if: No takeout ever (refill your water bottles, don't buy new every day). No buying ready made- if you can't make bread then you will need to buy challah but then $$$. Do you "need" meat/chicken/fish? Dairy? And do you need it daily, a few times a week, shabbos only?
Can you add in more vegetarian meals: pasta, rice, beans, in season vegetables/fruit.
Crockpots help if you are very busy- stews, chili, soups...
Menu plan a week at a time- it really helps! Cuts costs, helps you be organized...

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Nov 02 2015, 10:35 am
I think it's important to monitor food waste too. Are there leftovers that don't get eaten? Are there veggies that go off before you use them?

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Nov 02 2015, 12:15 pm
OP here again. Thank you so much for the advice, they are very helpful. I'm trying to get a sense in dollars per person how little is reasonable possible to spend each day. What do you think (it doesn't have to be 100% exact).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics