Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
I am overwhelmed to the max with my kids' school....HELP!
Previous  1  2

chani8

Post Fri, Dec 18 2015, 1:48 am
I seriously dont take school seriously. My last school age kid doesn't do her homework, doesn't study for tests, and I tell her, dont take school so seriously. Go, have fun, try to learn, do your best.

Your relationship with your child is the most important thing in his/her life, so dont ever let school get between you and your kids. Not worth it. Support your child, tell them you're proud of them no matter what grades they get. Home is home, not an extension of school.

rainbow dash

Post Fri, Dec 18 2015, 2:34 am
When I was in high school 9th grade I had 3 hrs of hw each night, not in 3rd grade

My kids 9 and 11 yes old have hw hr in school, after school. When they come home its just Hebrew reading.
They don't have much time for anything else.they are in school from 0815 till 1700.
And my kids school are very strict about hw.I have to not help them but make sure its been done and to sign off in their argenda every day. If they don't do hw they and I get in trouble.

And I was called in to talk about giving them more responsiblity at home. They suggested that they can go shopping. When I asked her, at 5pm when its already dark? Besides, I go shopping in the morning.

Talk to the teacher first.

amother
Apricot

Post Fri, Dec 18 2015, 12:30 pm
Thank you ladies for the replies. It felt so good just to vent and the replies were very helpful to hear. I have set up a conference with one of the teachers next week (still trying to reach the other) to see what's going on and before then I will try to gather whatever information I can from other parents.

chani8 wrote:
I seriously dont take school seriously. My last school age kid doesn't do her homework, doesn't study for tests, and I tell her, dont take school so seriously. Go, have fun, try to learn, do your best.

Your relationship with your child is the most important thing in his/her life, so dont ever let school get between you and your kids. Not worth it. Support your child, tell them you're proud of them no matter what grades they get. Home is home, not an extension of school.

I love this attitude and there is a part of me that deeply desires to be like this. But the other part of me is filled with worry and stress. I feel like I pay so, so much tuition, I want my children to get every ounce of learning out of it they can. I want them to do well - not to please me but to feel accomplished and to have options in the future (college and careers if they so chose).

amother
Brown

Post Fri, Dec 18 2015, 1:32 pm
My daughter has an obscene amount of homework as well. I make sure to speak to the other parents at PTA to see how the other children are doing so I can figure out of it's my child or the teacher.
My daughter now has p3 services and she is pulled out of class with just a few girls for a more intimate setting for math and reading comprehension and the level of homework is much less now and her stress level has dissipated tremendously. I never imagined that this is how she would go through school but I'm glad she is doing better now.
I have learned to concentrate on the fact that she is BH building skills vital for life over just memorizing loads of information. Deep down I know what's important and I try to focus on that.

boysrus

Post Fri, Dec 18 2015, 1:35 pm
just thinking about this thread again.
OP: I feel so sorry for your children, having all that homework! When do they get a chance to be children, this is stealing their childhood,! This is making me feel really sad for them Sad

please please do something about it, this sounds so awful for them . Crying
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics