Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
How will we manage vacation?

amother
Wine

Post Tue, Dec 22 2015, 9:46 am
I know it's a month away, but I was just put on bed rest and worried about how vacation is going to work out. Not in terms of how to care for the kids- we got someone to live in for now, so they will be taken care of- but more like, what will they do for all those days at home? The nanny doesn't drive and you can't go anywhere without a car where we live. I don't think other parents are going to be willing to take them along on whatever outings they're doing- most have multiple kids of their own who will be off, plus we're talking very young ages (under 5), so it's not so easy to watch and entertain an extra kid that little. Dh is around only on weekends and can't take time off to do something fun during the week. My mother comes to visit once a week, so she will take them out then, perhaps she might find a way to come a second day, but she really can't do more than that because she lives an hour drive away.
I know they don't need to have a packed day every day, but even simple stuff like the park or the library won't be an option. 10 days is a long time, so one weekday (two only if we're lucky) of stuff to do and then lounging around the house the rest of the time is not going to be so good for them. One of them is very active and gets bored/cabin fever very easily. One has some issues and vacations in general are tough because of the lack of structure, and being so limited is going to make it worse. There's fun stuff to do at home too, but again, that works for a long weekend, it's not going to hold up for all of winter break. I just have no idea how everyone is going to get through this with their sanity intact.

doctorima

Post Tue, Dec 22 2015, 9:50 am
Can you try to schedule playdates with friends or neighbors? And can you use a taxi/car service to take the nanny and the kids to places like the park, library, or a children's museum?

amother
Wine

Post Tue, Dec 22 2015, 9:56 am
Play dates might work for one child (not sure about the younger kid, who is playgroup age and doesn't really do play dates yet). Car services are available, but both kids are in car seats, so the nanny would be stuck with 2 car seats once they got to the destination. Driving is part of my bed rest restrictions, so I cannot just take them and pick them up later.

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Dec 22 2015, 9:59 am
Get a driving nanny? If you live in an area where there's little public transportation, being able to drive seems to be a very basic requirement.

ima22

Post Tue, Dec 22 2015, 10:03 am
outings like museums, indoor play places will have an area for coats where the carseats can be left. alternatively maybe you can hire a college age girl and pay her for driving your car for the pickups and dropoffs. not an easy situation. hatzlacha.

newmother

Post Tue, Dec 22 2015, 10:05 am
Order on Amazon a bunch of crafts and look on Pinterest for ideas and make a schedule with the nanny for vacation days. Crafts, baking, ect.

finallyamommy

Post Tue, Dec 22 2015, 11:14 am
This is where it's time for Camp Mommy (or, in this case, Camp Nanny). When I nannied I mostly took the kids out every day but for a few weeks when I had a broken ankle it wasn't an option so we had to do a lot of indoor stuff.

-Make it as structured as possible, espeically since you know that one of your kids already has a problem with lack of structure. Up at the same time, breakfast, davening, art project, nap, etc.

-Is there anywhere at all that they can go out? Even a walk around the block to stretch their legs/have a change of scenery, trip to the grocery store or pharmacy, pick leaves/flowers to use in an art project? (maybe not a great option in winter but there might be pinecones or evergreens?)

-Lots and lots of art projects. Pictures, clay (you can make your own), finger painting.

-Exercise. Get the nanny to teach them basic ballet or yoga or hula hooping or soccer or something. With a kiddie ball that can safely be done inside. Obviously this needs to be tailored to your nanny's abilities, but I was able to do a bit of ballet and gymnastics (somersaults and such) with the kids I watched.

-They can help with cooking/cleaning. Preschoolers can wipe down cabinet doors, shape dough, hang laundry, etc. And if it's a novelty, it might be fun for them.

-Can you spend money on some fancy new toy to surprise them with, say, halfway through the break when cabin fever might be starting to set in?

mha3484

Post Tue, Dec 22 2015, 12:20 pm
If your friends know you are on bedrest, they might be a lot more willing to have your kids over for you than you think.

5*Mom

Post Tue, Dec 22 2015, 12:22 pm
Can you hire a high school girl to do crafts and play games with them for a few hours each day?

SingALong

Post Tue, Dec 22 2015, 7:20 pm
Ask school if any of the assistant teachers are interested in working over school break. See if they want the job for taking your kids out for a few hours daily. Kids don't need to be out for more than a couple of hours. Rest of time they can be home with nanny or high school kid, playing toys, crafts, story tape, video, etc.

chatouli

Post Tue, Dec 22 2015, 8:28 pm
I have been in your shoes and it is not easy. Don't stress because while it may be difficult while you're in it, soon it will just be a memory.

Is there a mini camp the kids could go to nearby? Even if just in the morning? If not, maybe consider hosting one. You could hire two high school or college age girls, in addition to your nanny, and make a curriculum. Have your friends send their kids for a low fee. The girls can do a structured morning with the kids. Other parents may appreciate an option that's local to them since vacations are hard if you can't go somewhere. And you will appreciate having your kids occupied.

Videos may be a good friend to you. I know my kids watched a ton of TV when I was on bed rest but we limit it a lot more now.

Feel good and really, don't freak out. It's going to be ok.

amother
Wine

Post Fri, Dec 25 2015, 9:55 am
Thanks for the suggestions. I found out there may be a mini camp available at least for the older one (the one that really needs structure), so that will help if we can work it out. Also, that child gets some services and I mentioned the issue to one of the therapists, and she said she's going to work on a plan for him for those days and maybe even come by on one of the days (even though she sees him at school).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics