Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
What can u do to lessen chance of getting slashed on subway?

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Jan 26 2016, 1:07 pm
Other than davening, what can u do to lessen chance of getting slashed on NYC subways? This is very frightening, happening way more often than ever before, in NYC.

loveandpeace

Post Tue, Jan 26 2016, 1:09 pm
Walk with confidence. And talk to yourself that Hashem is with you and nobody can do anything to help or harm you other than Hashem who has total control over everything.

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Jan 26 2016, 1:21 pm
pesek zman wrote:
Did I miss something? When did this happen on a NYC subway?

Lucky you, that you havent been listening to the news. There have been a few in the past 2 months, the most recent one on a "D" train.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new.....08315

She said the attacker got up and pretended to stumble into her before grabbing her face with both hands, cutting her with a blade and running off.

“I didn't even realize he was cutting me," Rivera, who lives in Borough Park, told the Daily News. “It didn’t hurt because he didn’t hit any nerves. I didn’t even realize until the guy told me, ‘Hey you’re bleeding.’”

Rivera said she took out a paper towel and touched her cheek, which was covered in blood.

Police said the number of stabbings and slashings this year has jumped 14.7% — 273 incidents since Jan. 1 through this past Sunday. That’s compared with 238 incidents that took place during the same period in 2015.

pesek zman

Post Tue, Jan 26 2016, 1:24 pm
I do listen to the news, but I guess NPR hasn't been reporting it. I ride the subway 6-7 days a week. Guess we just have to hope for the best

nywife

Stay alert and aware of your surroundings. Stand/sit against a wall instead of having your back turned to everyone. Also, carry pepper spray or the like.

Last edited by nywife on Tue, Jan 26 2016, 1:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

chocolate chips

Such a scary thing. I always hated the subway but now I am just petrified to ride on them.

Be aware - don't use your cellphone, don't be distracted, just be aware. But even then, from the description above, there was nothing she could have done to prevent it.
Perhaps practice some karate to kick an attacker in the appropriate place.

gp2.0

Post Tue, Jan 26 2016, 1:58 pm
This is really terrible. That poor woman. But there's no need to freak out any more than usual. It sounds worse than it is.

273 attacks in the last three weeks alone. That means statistically from combining last year and this year, there are approximately 85 slashings and stabbings per week, I'm assuming throughout the entire NYC because it doesn't specify.

There are about 8.5 million people in NYC. Every week, 85 of those 8.5 million are stabbed or slashed. That puts the odds of an individual getting stabbed or slashed at .0001%

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Math isn't my strong suit.

When you consider that most attacks are among people who know each other, the statistics drop even more.

Basically, it's always good to be alert and daven. But this isn't a cause for panic - I suspect it only made the news (as opposed to the other 250+ that didn't make the news) because it was so random, unprovoked and seemingly for no reason at all.

morah

Post Tue, Jan 26 2016, 1:59 pm
Get rid of De Blasio.

greenfire

Post Tue, Jan 26 2016, 2:06 pm
you can't live in fear & you can't predict the future ... be alert, stay alert, carry a knife What

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Jan 26 2016, 2:25 pm
nywife wrote:
Stay alert and aware of your surroundings. Stand/sit against a wall instead of having your back turned to everyone. Also, carry pepper spray or the like.

Actually, after I got mugged in NYC (public transportation) I filed a police report. The police said pepper spray, mace, switchblades etc are ALL illegal and if caught you can get in big trouble. What was I to do? I was told take self defense. Been there, done that. Didn't help.
Slashers, muggers and other criminals don't care about breaking the law by carrying these things. But I can't protect myself. By law.
Idiocy.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jan 26 2016, 2:29 pm
amother wrote:
Actually, after I got mugged in NYC (public transportation) I filed a police report. The police said pepper spray, mace, switchblades etc are ALL illegal and if caught you can get in big trouble. What was I to do? I was told take self defense. Been there, done that. Didn't help.
Slashers, muggers and other criminals don't care about breaking the law by carrying these things. But I can't protect myself. By law.
Idiocy.

There's no law against Krav Maga. Also, everyone should read "The Gift of Fear" by Gavin deBecker. His book changed my life, and probably saved it more than once.

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Jan 26 2016, 2:41 pm
amother wrote:
Idiocy.

Of course you can still protect yourself, you just can't use an illegal weapon. Call the Y and start taking some self defense courses. And by all means read The Gift of Fear as FF advised.

greenfire

Post Tue, Jan 26 2016, 2:43 pm
relax people ~ I was joking about the knife ... just look tough like your from brooklyn ~ FUHGEDDABOUDIT !!!

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Jan 26 2016, 3:54 pm
morah wrote:
Get rid of De Blasio.

OP here. My thoughts exactly!

+10000000000000000000000000

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Jan 26 2016, 6:09 pm
Ok. I did say I took self defense courses. I also know Kung fu. But it doesn't help when you are outnumbered, they are much bigger, and they are prepared. You are caught off guard, they have an edge. Still got mugged. During daylight.
It's crazy I can't carry pepper spray. They are breaking the law anyways so they don't care what other laws break. so why is it illegal for me to protect myself?

dancingqueen

Post Tue, Jan 26 2016, 6:27 pm
amother wrote:
Ok. I did say I took self defense courses. I also know Kung fu. But it doesn't help when you are outnumbered, they are much bigger, and they are prepared. You are caught off guard, they have an edge. Still got mugged. During daylight.
It's crazy I can't carry pepper spray. They are breaking the law anyways so they don't care what other laws break. so why is it illegal for me to protect myself?

Afaik you can carry certain kinds of pepper spray in nyc. I'm so sorry you were mugged though that's awful.

amother
Slateblue

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 9:26 am
dancingqueen wrote:
Afaik you can carry certain kinds of pepper spray in nyc. I'm so sorry you were mugged though that's awful.

This was in NYC and the cops said none were ok. Told me, with a shrug of shoulders, "sorry". Admitted it made no sense. I had done my due diligence, taken self defense AND another class on Kung Fu. Yes I have belts. It was a real, formal class. Doesn't help if they are just simply bigger and stronger.
Cops had no solutions for me. Pepper spray was illegal but the bad guys (whom they obviously never caught) will do what they want.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 9:35 am
morah wrote:
Get rid of De Blasio.

This. 1000%

Plus, make it legal to carry pepper spray, mace, guns or anything else that will protect us from criminals who don't care about the law and will get guns or knives illegally.

And bring back stop and frisk. I know it targeted a certain demographic but it kept all New Yorkers safe. At least safer than what is going on now. So bring it back even if it means you target everyone, not just certain people.

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 11:18 am
amother wrote:
Other than davening, what can u do to lessen chance of getting slashed on NYC subways? This is very frightening, happening way more often than ever before, in NYC.

With all due respect, I think you are being a little neurotic. Your chances of this happening are very low. Just be aware of your surroundings. -NYC mom

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Jan 27 2016, 11:21 am
chocolate chips wrote:
Such a scary thing. I always hated the subway but now I am just petrified to ride on them.

Be aware - don't use your cellphone, don't be distracted, just be aware. But even then, from the description above, there was nothing she could have done to prevent it.
Perhaps practice some karate to kick an attacker in the appropriate place.
[b]

That's ridiculous. I ride with my kids every day.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics