Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Making Challah in Israel

israel22

Post Mon, May 28 2007, 9:29 am
I have been for the longest time looking for a recipe for Challah that is not to big (makes like 4 challahs) and that takes dry yeast that you put straight in to the mixture. If anyone has any yummy easy ones please let me know! Thanks

suomynona

Post Mon, May 28 2007, 9:51 am
I put dry yeast directly into the mixture, but I use 3 kilos of flour. If you want I can post it and you can try to halve it.
It's a very easy recipe.

BeershevaBubby

Post Mon, May 28 2007, 9:53 am
I use 2 kilo of flour (makes 6 loaves)... from the Spice and Spirit.

And I use Fermipan... 4 tablespoons for 2 kilo.

israel22

Post Mon, May 28 2007, 9:58 am
suomynona: do u think I could have a challah recipe? if I could then if you could post that would be great thanks!

israel22

Post Mon, May 28 2007, 9:59 am
sorry meant halve! the recipe

suomynona

Post Mon, May 28 2007, 10:51 am
I don't see why not.

3 kilos flour
3 Tbsp dry yeast - mix into flour
3 Tbsp salt
1-2 plastic cups sugar (depending on how sweet you want it)
8 plastic cups warm water (I use 7 1/2, otherwise too sticky) - knead partially before adding oil
1 plastic cup oil

Let rise for 2 hours. Braid. Let rise another 1/2-1 hour. egg tops and bake.

israel22

Post Mon, May 28 2007, 11:20 am
thanks so much will maybe try it! if anyone else has one for less then 3 kilo though let me know!

HooRYou

Post Tue, May 29 2007, 7:36 am
I have a basic challah formula that I multiply according to how much challah I want to make and how I want it to taste. It works equally well with white or ww flour (I usually make ww excpet for after Pesach).

Ingredients
1 cup warm water
1 tsp dry yeast
1 tbl sugar
3 cups flour
1-3 tbl oil
1 tsp salt

Pour the warm water into the bowl. Add the yeast and sugar and give a few quick stirs. Let rest 5 minutes and then add 1 cup of the flour. Stir until all the flour is wet but not smoothly combined and let rest another five minutes. Add the salt and oil and remaining flour and knead until smooth.

That is the basic recipe. I usually don't measure the sugar, oil or salt, but just add what looks and feels right. When I want a sweeter challah I add more sugar and in Tishrei I usually add honey as well. I sometimes add 1 egg with the salt and oil, but not always. If you are adding more oil, eggs, or honey you may have to add additional flour as well. When I want to make 4 challah I usually double it to 6 cups of flour, but I tend to make small challahs since we are a small family (nd opened unfinished challahs don't go over too well).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads