Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Tax filing options - separated but not legally in NY

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, Mar 15 2016, 7:45 pm
What's my best option?

I will speak to an accountant but what do I need to know?

nicole81

Post Tue, Mar 15 2016, 8:07 pm
When I was separated from my ex (also not legally) and living with my 2 kids, my accountant had me file as head of household.

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, Mar 15 2016, 8:53 pm
Did you need his proof of income?

The problem I have right now is that he is unemployed. He is refusing to ask his former boss for his tax forms and told me to just file for myself. Won't I be losing a ton of deductions this way?

nicole81

Post Tue, Mar 15 2016, 9:09 pm
amother wrote:
Did you need his proof of income?

The problem I have right now is that he is unemployed. He is refusing to ask his former boss for his tax forms and told me to just file for myself. Won't I be losing a ton of deductions this way?

I filed on my own and claimed the children. I don't know what deductions you normally take, but all I "lost" was the exemption for an extra member of the household. I was still able to itemize deductions for childcare expenses, education, my own work-related stuff, and probably more that I don't remember.

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Mar 16 2016, 12:36 pm
How long have you been living apart? If you lived apart for 6 months (separated since May), are paying for over 1/2 the upkeep of the home, and have dependents, you are safe to file as head of household. He can file as single. This is better than married filing separately because you don't lose anything and you can ignore everything that might be in his name. The IRS calls this "considered unmarried". You can look it up. It is a different definition than a legal definition.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics