Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Seder meal
Previous  1  2

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Apr 11 2016, 1:18 pm
I serve salmon or gefilte fish some salads, chicken soup with a homemade egg noodels, soup veggies and the bottom of a chicken that was cooked in the soup. When I was growing up we used to have the seder by a neighbor who served soup as the main and added in a piece of potatoe kugel into the soup. I told my kids about that and they liked that idea, so they eat potatoe kugel in their soup too. For everyone else I serve it on the side, with dessert being apple pear compote. Very simple but everyone is exhausted and busting and all the elaborate foods I've made in years past was just unnecessary.

shevi82

Post Mon, Apr 11 2016, 1:18 pm
This is what we serve every year:
Gefilta fish (skip the salads)
Chicken soup,
chicken cooked in a pot,
potatoes cooked with the chicken so they have a yummy gravy.
Usually Skip dessert or apple compote

cm

Post Mon, Apr 11 2016, 1:23 pm
After all the ritual foods and the traditional hard boiled egg and maybe a matzah ball, who's hungry? We have a very light meal.

tichellady

Post Mon, Apr 11 2016, 1:25 pm
cm wrote:
After all the ritual foods and the traditional hard boiled egg and maybe a matzah ball, who's hungry? We have a very light meal.

Actually I am hungry. We don't have Matza balls on pesach, I eat the minimum of Matza required, we don't have hard boiled eggs and I can't wait for the meal. I try not to overeat

mha3484  

Post Mon, Apr 11 2016, 1:35 pm
I am usually hungry too. I typically just serve either chicken and potatoes cooked together or DH makes a roast cooked with lots of onions and potatoes and whatever he is in the mood for. This year I am feeling a bit ahead of my self in the cleaning department so if I can keep to my plans so I will make a soup to go with it. Shabbos lunch will have fish and dessert.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Mon, Apr 11 2016, 3:34 pm
I find that people are very hungry at the meal.

After karpas, we have some sliced veggies on the table with olive dip, sometimes artichoke hearts.

For the meal we have soup, salad, gefilte fish, two veggie sides, potatoes, beef and chicken.

For dessert we have a flourless chocolate cake, a frozen homemade sorbet, meringues.

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Apr 11 2016, 3:41 pm
Everyone here is always really hungry. They finish everything I make, no matter how much I serve!

Menu is:
hard boiled egg in salt water
chicken soup with vegetables and egg noodles
corned beef
chicken cooked on the stove with potatoes and sweet potatoes
tzimmis
apple kugel
cucumber salad
desert: blondies and homemade apple sauce

mha3484

Post Mon, Apr 11 2016, 4:39 pm
I am liking the idea of making a corned beef. How do you all make it and keep it from drying out? I have done the crockpot a few times and it was salty and stringy. I would love to know a better way.

Raisin

Post Mon, Apr 11 2016, 4:49 pm
I normally do fish and salads but might do chicken soup and chicken knaidlich this year, maybe for the second seder. Then brisket, potato kugel, and veggie stir fry. Not sure about dessert.

watergirl

Post Mon, Apr 11 2016, 6:14 pm
For us, meat is such a luxury that IF we have it, its at a time when we are fully awake and will appreciate it. Not at a time when we are rushed and trying to eat afikoman by a certian time. Maybe second days for a night meal - something to look forward to. Thats a big IF. Theres usually no room in the budget for meat other than ground beef.

For seder, I make chicken soup, gefilta fish, and a chicken dish with some sort of sauce, and potatos or an easy kugel. Dessert is homemade ice cream. Simple, easy, done. People are hungry, sure. But its also late and they are too tired (in my family at least) to enjoy a full fancy shmancy meal.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Apr 11 2016, 6:48 pm
mha3484 wrote:
I am liking the idea of making a corned beef. How do you all make it and keep it from drying out? I have done the crockpot a few times and it was salty and stringy. I would love to know a better way.

I rinse the meat well and then cook it up in a snug pot with water almost covering along with 3 halved garlic cloves and a bay leaf (these are optional). Bring to boil and simmer about 20-40 minutes per pound (depending on how long you will be simmering the slices when reheating on yom tov).
Wrap roast in foil and refrigerate. Refrigerate cooking liquid separately.
Slice roast while cold the next day.
Reheat slices in cooking liquid.
(Don't overcook when reheating. Use a double boiler and keep the meat slightly off the heating element if there will be a long time to shulchan orach so the broth doesn't cook out and become very salty. Move on/off heat as necessary.)
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics