Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Some questions about philadelphia

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, Jun 16 2016, 10:43 pm
Hi,

I'm hoping to visit philadelphia for a couple of days this week, and I have a few questions for those in the know.

1) What are the dangerous areas I want to stay away from?

2) I'm trying to figure out where to stay. I want to spend most of my time in the downtown area, but that is probably the most expensive. Can you suggest an area nearby where I can stay more cheaply, but still easily get to downtown (by public transport or uber)?

Thanks!

I might add more questions as I think of them.

doctorima

Post Fri, Jun 17 2016, 12:02 am
I don't know what areas are dangerous, but definitely the neighborhoods around the main tourist attractions that you'd be going to visit are totally fine. Obviously use common sense. For a place to stay, Cherry Hill is just across the bridge from downtown Philly and is much cheaper, though I don't know if mass transit connects them, or how much an Uber would cost.

PAMOM

Post Fri, Jun 17 2016, 7:33 am
if you're going that soon, try some of the "last-minute" hotel websites. Hotels often put vacant rooms on for very discounted prices. You can also check hotels near the airport. It's fairly inexpensive and quick to get from that area to tourist sites by uber.

little_mage

Post Fri, Jun 17 2016, 7:34 am
SEPTA is the local public transit organization. www.septa.org Anywhere on the train lines will get you into center city pretty easily, but just check the schedule if you're not going in at commuter times. I will also note that kosher options are fairly limited in the downtown area. The 44 bus will take you out to a couple more restaurants.

sweetpotato

Post Fri, Jun 17 2016, 10:50 am
Kosher options are indeed quite limited in the downtown area. The only restaurant that is under the Vaad is a falafel place and a pareve bakery (which are both delicious! but we aware that if you will only hold by the Vaad's kashrut, that's what you've got to choose from).

There are other kosher options in the downtown area that are under a different hashgacha.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics