Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Wwyd: medication destroyed, use a different name for refill

amother
Silver

Post Fri, Jul 01 2016, 11:20 am
My teenage daughter is taking expensive medication. The medication got destroyed after 3 days of use. (That's another story for another time) The insurance company won't cover a new prescription just because the first one got ruined. My father is a doctor and can call in the medication for himself or another family member and it will be covered. wwyd?

Rutabaga

Post Fri, Jul 01 2016, 11:21 am
Sounds like insurance fraud.

Maybe your father can get some free samples?

nywife

Post Fri, Jul 01 2016, 11:38 am
It's insurance fraud and could have serious repercussions for your father. I wouldn't do it.
Is it possible for him to get samples? Can you call up the insurance company and see if there's anything you can do? Is there a generic, cheaper option you can pay for out of pocket?

funmother

Post Fri, Jul 01 2016, 11:41 am
Try a medicine gemach

cm

Post Fri, Jul 01 2016, 11:44 am
Maybe your homeowners insurance, depending on how the original medication was destroyed.

amother
Orange

Post Fri, Jul 01 2016, 12:01 pm
It depends on how hard it would be for your daughter to manage without the medication until it can be renewed in her name.

For example if she's suicidal without it, or in constant pain, I wouldn't think twice.

Whereas if she'll develop eczema or acne for a few weeks, I'd wait.

m+m

Post Fri, Jul 01 2016, 12:14 pm
Insurance fraud, don't do it.

Call the doctor they usually have samples.

Many prescriptions have savings coupons online. Google "name of drug discount card" and you can usually find a coupon that says pay no more than $25...

amother
Fuchsia

Post Fri, Jul 01 2016, 12:23 pm
I would pay for the medication this time, or whoever is responsible for ruining the meds should pay for it

yogabird

Post Fri, Jul 01 2016, 12:40 pm
Did you actually try talking to the insurance company? Most, if not all, will include exceptions for lost or spilled medications in their policy. Some will limit this to once a month/year whatever, but if it's the first time this happened it shouldn't be a problem.

amother
Silver

Post Fri, Jul 01 2016, 12:42 pm
yogabird wrote:
Did you actually try talking to the insurance company? Most, if not all, will include exceptions for lost or spilled medications in their policy. Some will limit this to once a month/year whatever, but if it's the first time this happened it shouldn't be a problem.

good idea. I will try this. thanks.

dancingqueen

Post Fri, Jul 01 2016, 12:46 pm
funmother wrote:
Try a medicine gemach

Is this a gemach where people can gets meds without a prescription? Is that legal?

yogabird

Post Fri, Jul 01 2016, 12:57 pm
amother wrote:
good idea. I will try this. thanks.
if there are any refills on the prescription they will sometimes allow you to fill it early in such a case, and tell you you're just "using up" one of your refills.

Miri7

Post Fri, Jul 01 2016, 2:26 pm
Yes - Call the insurance company. They will often allow. One time exception if you explain the circumstances. If your father wants to help, have him get on the line to explain the medical necessity if they balk. If they don't respond to the patient sometimes they will listen to a ticked off Doctor.

We have had to do this to get more than one inhaler covered in a month for my DDs asthma, like when she needs to take 3 inhalers to camp.

But doing what you had suggested is fraud and could jeopardize both you and your fathers medical license if discovered.

The Happy Wife

Post Fri, Jul 01 2016, 3:43 pm
amother wrote:
It depends on how hard it would be for your daughter to manage without the medication until it can be renewed in her name.

For example if she's suicidal without it, or in constant pain, I wouldn't think twice.

Whereas if she'll develop eczema or acne for a few weeks, I'd wait.

If she's suicidal or in constant pain I would pay out of pocket, put it on a credit card, or ask to borrow money rather than commit fraud.

Why is paying for it somehow not the first thought, rather than fraud?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics