Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Kid too cute to discipline

greenfire

Post Fri, Jun 01 2007, 12:45 pm
what does one do when their kid is just too cute to discipline?! he laughs like a monkey ... is cute and won't listen to anything he is told ... how can one take control ... let him have fun but in a good way ... and still grow up to be a good boy ...

justanothermother

Post Fri, Jun 01 2007, 12:56 pm
I was just thinking the same thing. I asked my 2yo to take off her shoes and she said "No way, Hothey!" It was all I could do not to crack up.

shayna82

Post Fri, Jun 01 2007, 12:59 pm
there needs to be a fine balance, between laughing at somehting soo funny that your kid does, and setting down rules.

a kid that is cute and wont listen to a thing he is being told, is possibly being spoiled, and is using his cuteness to get away with anything. that is not good.

there rae plenty of things a kid can do to have fun and let loose but within your grounded guidlines.

I.e- you can get yourself all wet outside, mommy dosnt care- as long as its on the grass, but nooo doing that in the bathroom. child knows he can do it, but within the guidliness... and stick to it.

cindy324

Post Fri, Jun 01 2007, 1:35 pm
I agree wit shayna, but I also know that sometimes you just gotta laugh and let them get away with it. My 2 and half year old wanted ices, so I told her just one. When she finished it, she sweetly walked over to me, handed me the empty wrapper and said: Mommy, I want more ,PLEEEEASE? I just couldn't resist. When I gafve it to her she said Thank you, and I said I love you, and she said I love you, too!

greenfire

Post Fri, Jun 01 2007, 1:50 pm
yeah cindy ... but she didn't grab the whole box ... open every single one ... and scream ... and giggle and laugh while she licked every one ... she asked nicely ...

when they giggle and are going nuts ... it is still hard to know what is the right balance ... in a case like above for example the ices should be taken away and even if we give in, she should be stopped from licking the whole box ...

see the dif ...

this is the dilema ...

shayna82

Post Fri, Jun 01 2007, 1:55 pm
the scene with a kid grabbign them all and licking them sounds out of controla and nothing a parent should be laughing at... they will just do it again....

greenfire

Post Fri, Jun 01 2007, 1:58 pm
that was a made up story ... just to point out a situation could be dif

giggling and running around the house is dif - and then you have to constantly say no to everything ... but since you laugh so does he ... and you both get no where ...

then out in the street he doesn't listen even more - in the house she feels he is controlled (im not so sure) and out of the house not ...

need to hear more from others ... info is for a friend

Mimisinger

Post Fri, Jun 01 2007, 2:04 pm
He may be cute now, but if guidelines are not set down, he'll be doing this forever. And, a cute smile on a 16 year old doesn't work as well as for a two year old. There has to be rules that are stuck to, and there has to be fun. Like, making a mess while painting at the table is ok, but painting on the walls is not ok. I think even goodies should have a limit, no matter how cute b/c they're just not healthy.

As for setting rules, they'll thank you for it later and, it's easier to set rules when they're younger rather than older and they'll get into the groove, or those particular rules as well as the fact that there should be rules.

What would you do if your dh wanted to drink a milkshake with his burger? Pleeaasseee Mommy? Would that work? No, there are rules.

miri123

Post Fri, Jun 01 2007, 2:12 pm
well this is not a made up story, my 3 yrso is so funny even when he is saing the most horrible things, it is hard to stay serious and not laugh in front of him, he is just so cute!

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Jun 01 2007, 2:14 pm
I figured it was fake.

greenfire

Post Fri, Jun 01 2007, 2:15 pm
Mimisinger wrote:
He may be cute now, but if guidelines are not set down, he'll be doing this forever. And, a cute smile on a 16 year old doesn't work as well as for a two year old. There has to be rules that are stuck to, and there has to be fun. Like, making a mess while painting at the table is ok, but painting on the walls is not ok. I think even goodies should have a limit, no matter how cute b/c they're just not healthy.

As for setting rules, they'll thank you for it later and, it's easier to set rules when they're younger rather than older and they'll get into the groove, or those particular rules as well as the fact that there should be rules.

What would you do if your dh wanted to drink a milkshake with his burger? Pleeaasseee Mommy? Would that work? No, there are rules.

I hope dh has a little more control than her ds ... lol

yeah painting on the walls. ... spraying pledge ... opening a box of straws and cutting them up ... flushing his undies down the toilet ... and it is all funny ... but later it wont be ... or when/if she has more kids ... how would one know if they are safe while you're busy with other or even on phone or anything else ... right now she has time for one on one attention ... but who knows ...

greenfire

Post Fri, Jun 01 2007, 2:17 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
I figured it was fake.

what does that mean ... I was just comparing it to cindys kid asking for more ices ... so a dif scenario was to explain ...

oh and he is 3 and only child

but he sits nice in shul and behaves ... holds mommys hand to cross the street ...

but he is giggly and mischievous ... and I am trying to tell her but she doesn't hear the issue ... so ... I thought a variety of people might be of help ...

I told her to get stickers and make a chart ... for when he goes out ... he can only go if he earns stickers for behaving outside ... or next time he cant buy a car ... or icecream ... or whatever ... like earning points ...

greenfire

Post Mon, Jun 04 2007, 10:39 am
anymore help before I tell my friend your advices ...

tripletmomplus

Post Mon, Jun 11 2007, 11:27 pm
I hope it is not too late to respond, but for what it's worth....
my now 8 year old was an extremely adorable child. he came after the triplets and we couldn't stop kveling over him. my dh spoiled him rotten. as much as I though he was so cute, I was able to stick to rules and limitations. my dh just couldn't resist him. as you can imagine he was a spoiled rotten 4,5 , 6 and 7 year old. there was only one thing I could do. I would turn to my dh and say "you created this monster, you deal with it." and he did. I can only tell you he is now a precious 8 year old who listens really great at home and in school. but he still flashes his grin and get's whatever he wants. he's just not bratty about it. point of the story-he may ougrow it. good luck

amother

Post Tue, Jun 12 2007, 9:19 am
just think that if u want them to stay cute u have to dicipline them Wink that doesnt mean u cant laugh when they arent looking though, or pretend not to see things sometimes.

I gave my daughter a few winkies and I told her the rest were for later cuz she had to eat some real food and I put them in a high drawer. then I went to nurse my baby on the couch. I saw her take the step stool, bring it over the the drawer, lean way over to reach and eat one by one. LOL. she thought I didnt see, and I just pretended not to. (if she thought I did see for sure id tell her no its for later and take them away... but sometimes its ok to let them think I dont LOL LOL

PinkandYellow

Post Tue, Jun 12 2007, 9:43 am
the way you are not allowed to potch a kid when you are angry, I always thought this is the opposite. even if you're kid is so cute and you just want to laugh, you are the parent and need to be in control. so get ahold of yourself and discipline your kid properly and set guidelines and stick to them. then later on call your friend and laugh on the phone about it. but its not healthy for the kid to see every time he smiles or does s/t cute, its ok. I know s/o who barely disciplines her 3 yo, she says he's too cute and gives him candy and can't say no or set rules and stick to them. well, her kid is cute to a certain extent, but you get sick of watching this spoiled rotten wild kid do crazy things and get away with it. I just don't find him such a pleasant kid to be around, he is so difficult. just keep this in mind- the long term not just the next 10 seconds that you are laughing for.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers