Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Why do ppl want to get rid of their wrinkles?

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Jun 12 2007, 10:19 am
why do ppl want to get rid of their wrinkles? I personally think that wrinkles are a sign of seniority in life not just age. it shows that you have been through life and have a lot of knowlege. I know that in yehadut being old is a reveared place to be but why do so many ppl do almost anything to get rid of their wrinkles?

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Jun 12 2007, 10:41 am
Maybe if ppl could choose where their wrinkles showed up . . .

shalhevet

Post Tue, Jun 12 2007, 10:48 am
Because non jewish society says to be young is in. Think how society moves to accommodate the latest trends, gadgets etc and old people have to adapt. The Torah says that the older a person the more chochma (wisdom) they have. So non jewish society says do everything you can to look younger. Old age is an embarrassment.

There is a famous story of a rav who was on a plane. His grandson was with him and was helping him all the time, asking if there was anything he needed etc. Sitting next to him was a famous secular Israeli personality. He was amazed and said that if his grandson had been there he wouldn't have been interested in the least to help or even talk to him.

Simple explanation, said the rav. We teach our children that every generation is one further away from the kedusha at Har Sinai, so each generation is less. You, on the other hand, teach your children that the older someone is the closer they are to monkeys....

Motek

Post Tue, Jun 12 2007, 8:53 pm
The rav in the story was Rabbi Yaakov Kamenetzky.

halacha does acknowledge a sense of embarrassment in being old because it says that a person is considered old when they are not embarrassed being called grandma/grandpa.

red sea

Post Tue, Jun 12 2007, 9:18 pm
If you see a chemical peel done you may not want to get rid of them anymore Smile

Ruchel

Post Tue, Jun 12 2007, 10:14 pm
Mmmm... my mom is 51 and mentally and physically FAR from old, but she's very proud of being a grandma and I'm sure it won't embarrass her when dd will call her that.
Thinking of it, if I happened to be a grandma, I really wouldn't be embarrassed being called what I am... I still dread the idea of wrinkles.

My grandma has told my mom it made her feel a bit old to be a great grand ma though LOL LOL (she's 75).

cindy324

Post Tue, Jun 12 2007, 11:08 pm
In our circles though, you really don't have to be old to be a grandma! I've heard of grandmas as young as 39, but early 40's is most common.

I'm only 32 , but I'm starting to see those little fine lines around my mouth , like when I smile one line doesn't quite dissappear once I'm done smiling, also around my eyes I see some lines appearing. I don't hate them, I actually think they give character Wink , but I also don't want them progressing any further into real deep wrinkles.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jun 13 2007, 12:50 am
cindy324 wrote:
In our circles though, you really don't have to be old to be a grandma! I've heard of grandmas as young as 39, but early 40's is most common..

wow! here people say my mom (51) is a young grandma! lol

amother

Post Wed, Jun 13 2007, 1:53 am
I call them character lines... It shows that you've lived.
I particularly like to call the ones around the eyes 'smiley lines'.
So there!

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Jun 13 2007, 11:02 am
34 is the youngest I've known,and I've known several.

if you get married at 17 and have a girl first, who also gets married at 17........

Mevater

Post Wed, Jun 13 2007, 11:13 am
What language is the phrase "Alta _ocker" from, Spanish?

Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter

cindy324

Post Wed, Jun 13 2007, 2:10 pm
I would say that;s yiddish, letsbehonest!

Ruchel, here most girls get married at 19-20, their moms are usually 19-20 years older than they are...I had my first DD at 20, she's 12 now, so in about 8 years IY"H when I'm just turning 40-41, I could be a granny, too LOL

Ruchel

Post Thu, Jun 14 2007, 7:27 am
lol!!

I suppose I will be a grandma around 45? Unless people start getting married younger here, I think dd will get married like me? Or older if she is in the average (my youngest engaged friend is 24).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics