Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
What to do in Hunter Mountains with kids?

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, Aug 16 2016, 3:12 pm
hi,
We'll iy"h spend a few days in Hunter mountains, and being that this is our first time taking the kids on a real vacation and they're very underexposed (real city kids), I really want to take advantage and utilize the time well. We're all nature lovers, and would love farms, specifically cow milking and fruit picking. Is there boating? Stone stepping? Anything else?

doctorima

Post Tue, Aug 16 2016, 3:42 pm
There's an amazing zipline there. See here for more activity options (click on the summer tab at the top):

http://www.huntermtn.com/resort/area/

amother
Tangerine

Post Tue, Aug 16 2016, 4:01 pm
Hey! We're doing the same and also looking for ideas. Our kids (11-4) are real city slickers and we're looking to get them back to nature. I'll be following!

ccgg

Post Tue, Aug 16 2016, 4:04 pm
You can catch cow milking daily at Storyfarm, which is at the junction of Rtes 32 and 23. I believe it's at 4:00.
There is plenty of stonestepping.
Wonderful kayaking at South Lake, get there early, boats are $20 for the day, first come, first served.
Don't miss the chairlift at Hunter Mountain.
There is mini golf and pony riding at Bear Creek Landing.
Stop in at Country K (Tannersville's wonderful kosher store and take-out)
and pick up a copy of the Mountaintop Maven, full of great ideas for families.
Enjoy!

sky

Post Tue, Aug 16 2016, 4:06 pm
Kaaterskill falls hike - go early because it gets busy on weekends
Hunter Mountain chair lift
South Lake North Lake Park nice park for BBQ and hike
Bailiwick Ranch - Small Animal Zoo with a play area for younger children. Also have horse back riding (never did it there).
Five State Lookout

http://jewishmountaintop.com/a.....id=41
Great source for Recreation and Attractions in the area.

amother
Coral

Post Tue, Aug 16 2016, 6:43 pm
We went to kelders farm, about 40 min from hunter. Really great farm with petting zoo, cow milking, veggie and fruit picking, huge bouncy trampoline thing, kosher ice cream (!), mini golf, playground, etc

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, Aug 16 2016, 6:53 pm
thanks! Kelder's farm doesn't have prices on their website. HOw much should I expect to spend there? How are their prices?

amother
Coral

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 4:47 am
amother wrote:
thanks! Kelder's farm doesn't have prices on their website. HOw much should I expect to spend there? How are their prices?

You can call to double check buy $1 for animal feed, 5 for bouncy thing, 2 to milk cow, 3ish for mini golf, pick your own depends on what you pick

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 4:55 am
Castskill Animal Sanctuary and Bailiwick Ranch look great, but are very expensive. Anyone knows Story Farm's prices? It might be worth traveling an hour to Kelder's farm as they seem more reasonably priced.

sky

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 7:26 am
If you do travel to Kelders I think Minnewaska State Park is on the way - there is a gorgeous easy hike along the top rim.
what age are your kids - I found kelders better for younger kids and not a full day, but I was there a few years ago - we did have a lot of fun.

If you are watching your budget, hikes, sightseeing and parks are gorgeous and for the most part free!! And the boating rental price is very reasonable considering what it can cost other places (never rented there though).

If it rains: http://www.fasnyfiremuseum.com.....ssion
Fire musuem. Reasonably priced. Was never there but heard it is good.

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 9:45 am
Thanks Sky for your help. My children are 2 1/2 -9. Kelder Farm seemed like you could spend a good few hours there between the golf, hay ride, petting, trampoline, picking etc. It is though very much out of the way....

sky

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 10:20 am
Can you do it on the way up or down (to\from home) so it breaks up the drive?
Many things you have to drive to anyways so 40 minutes isn't so bad in teh scheme of things.

amother
Coral

Post Wed, Aug 17 2016, 6:10 pm
Bailiwick farms is in groupon now!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics