Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
10 year old how often to shower?
Previous  1  2

Delores

Post Wed, Nov 16 2016, 1:30 pm
Buy her special shower gel, shower pouf and a nice bath robe. Make her want to shower.

amother
Natural

Post Wed, Nov 16 2016, 10:52 pm
my 9yo dd takes 1-2 times a week.
no nagging. 1x for shabbos is a given. 2nd time is only if she decides she feels like it.
There are so many more important battles (like brushing teeth!!)!
she changes into fresh clothes and fresh pajamas daily, and is pretty sedentary (esp. in the winter!) in the summer she is in the pool daily. what are we showering for? to prepare for the next chlorine bath?

unexpected

Post Wed, Nov 16 2016, 11:42 pm
The rule in my house is " you must take a shower for Shabbos, if you're showering during the week, you need to be in the shower 1/2 hr before bedtime-- if you miss it you miss it" Some kids shower every night, some only on Thursday nights/Fridays. I don't let my girls was hair more than twice a week, and I tell all my kids to only soap privates and underarms, except for Shabbos. My friends think that's gross, but I don't use too much soap myself...
I agree that 9-10 is a hard age to get into the shower, once they get older you can hardly get them out!
IMO, Its not so terrible if she doesn't shower that often, it's worse if there's tension in the house because of it...

Tablepoetry

Post Thu, Nov 17 2016, 1:19 am
amother wrote:
in the summer she is in the pool daily. what are we showering for? to prepare for the next chlorine bath?

Isnt having all that chlorine on your skin and hair all day long unhealthy? To say nothing of all the junk in the pool the chlorine is supposed to kill.

Davka in the summer my kids shower straight after the pool even if they already showered that day.

amother
Olive

Post Thu, Nov 17 2016, 3:58 am
Minimum 3 times a week. That's how often I shower my younger kids. The older kids decide on their own how often to shower, and I think it's at least every other day, if not daily. I don't have a 10-year-old, but I have an 11-year-old and a 9-year-old. My 11-year-old still showers 3 times a week. My 9-year-old showers at least once a day, sometimes twice.

After the pool, they go into the shower before getting dressed. I don't like leaving the chlorine in their hair, and the pool water is not clean.

To Unexpected, why do you tell your kids to only soap their privates and armpits???

unexpected

Post Thu, Nov 17 2016, 5:52 am
I feel like using too much soap ruins your skin. Not that you should never use it, but why would your shoulder (I.e.) need to be soaped every time you shower?
I never use soap on my face and I have very soft skin and no wrinkles...

amother
Olive

Post Thu, Nov 17 2016, 6:17 am
unexpected wrote:
I feel like using too much soap ruins your skin. Not that you should never use it, but why would your shoulder (I.e.) need to be soaped every time you shower?
I never use soap on my face and I have very soft skin and no wrinkles...

And I use soap everywhere every day and also have soft skin and no wrinkles. Sure you can dry out your skin with too much soap, but once a day is not going to do that - that's just called being clean.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Thu, Nov 17 2016, 6:48 am
amother wrote:
I'm tired of forcing my kids to shower!
How often do your kids that age shower?
I want mine to shower every other night but she is so lazy and wants to shower only twice a week.

I can't fight is this a battle to put to rest and leave it up to her or shall I put my foot down and force her to shower?

AHHHH, THE SHOWER WARS!
If she is really fighting you, then leave it up to her, as hard as it is. Let other kids tell her she smells or her hair is greasy and dirty.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Nov 17 2016, 6:58 am
DD showers every day after school. In the summer, if she feels like she's gotten sweaty again, she'll take a quick second shower before bed. She's also really good about her hair.

She fights me on almost everything else (especially food!), but B'H showering is not a problem.

I don't know what I'd prefer, a stinky kid, or a picky eater who would happily live on potato chips and ice cream. Confused

amother
Lemon

Post Thu, Nov 17 2016, 7:03 am
amother wrote:
AHHHH, THE SHOWER WARS!
If she is really fighting you, then leave it up to her, as hard as it is. Let other kids tell her she smells or her hair is greasy and dirty.

I tried that with now-older dd. I got a talking to from the school instead, a gentle prod to get her to wash her hair more often. 😒 I tried the shower gel thing too- but she just viewed showering as a waste of time. In the end, I went the bribery route.

A lot of what's actually needed will depend on your kid's body and lifestyle. If she runs around a lot, she's stuck with showering more, but we allow "quick washes" in and out with soap to 'sweaty places' and a rinse everywhere else in warm water. If she has oily hair, she has to wash more often too. If it's curly, that's a pain, and I require it less.

amother
Ecru

Post Thu, Nov 17 2016, 7:32 am
Op does ur child have adhd? Definetly sounds like it. I can hardly push my son onto the shower. If he doesnt smell I dont push. I have enough battles to fight. For the poster that asked why isnt he taking a shower himself? Well bh u probably dont have a child with severe adhd. Every step of the bedtime routine is a battle.

amother
Blush

Post Thu, Nov 17 2016, 8:25 am
I also think it sound like adhd. What helped with my adhd kid is making it a non negotiable consistent thing. By now he knows every other evening he must shower. I will say today is Monday go shower. He already knows what days of the week he is showering and stating it like that makes me less of a bad guy and more of a reminder. The routine of it helps lessen the battles although it doesn't always eliminate it.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics