Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Bais Yaakov Lower East Side

amother
Coffee

Post Sun, Dec 04 2016, 11:40 pm
Anyone send there? Student/parent body type? What are academics like? How many girls in the school? Hashkafa of the school? Would you consider it snobby, or very in town?
Thanks.

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Dec 04 2016, 11:50 pm
Its out of town Yeshivish. My aunt and cousins sent there. Its a great school!

amother
Gold

Post Mon, Dec 05 2016, 12:34 am
I have two kids there now, both young so all I know of older grades is what I see in passing, my kids' friends sisters that I've seen, and the school newsletters.

Student body is pretty mixed - it's the only right-wing girls' school in Manhattan AFAIK so it gets a lot of different types of people out of convenience. The majority of girls from the Lower East Side go there (a few send to other schools but seems like most to BY even if they otherwise might not have chosen a BY school) and a lot from the Upper West Side, and then a handful from Brooklyn. Seems like mostly a down-to-earth type of crowd. Unpretentious. Definitely not snobby but not out-of-it nerds either.

Hashkafah is heimish/yeshivish or whatever you call it even though the actual student body is more mixed. The teachers all seem like yeshivish Bais Yaakov graduates from Brooklyn. Lots of sweet young girls with some more experienced mixed in.

Academics are excellent. Exceeding my expectations. They also have what seems to me a very nice resource room setup.

How many girls - I'd have to estimate around 200, assuming an average of about 20 per grade with some being bigger and some smaller. They only have one class per grade so that means some classes end up really big (I think the biggest is 28)

My girls are learning amazingly and they love going to school. They come home very excited about whatever they're doing.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics