Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
What is a fair punishment for this boy?
Previous  1  2  3  4

Chayalle

Post Thu, Dec 15 2016, 2:53 pm
I think it would be reasonable for the OP to speak about her concerns to the Menahel of the Yeshiva, or anyone else in authority there. I think demanding specific punishment is not her domain, though of course she should ask that the Yeshiva address this issue, in no uncertain terms.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Thu, Dec 15 2016, 2:55 pm
eema of 3 wrote:
Quote:

This has nothing to do with Trump or politics. I guarantee you this boy didn't wake up the morning after the election and say "hey, now I can speak on a vile manner because Trump won." There is no place for Trump bashing or politics in this conversation.

Eema of 3, Trump started running for president 18 months ago. He has been speaking this way since he started. Well, actually he has been speaking this way for 20 or 30 years, but once he started running, this style of speaking became something that kids heard on TV and other media. I have read several articles where teachers talk about the coarsening of dialogue in their classrooms since the start of the campaign.

I am not in this thread bashing any aspect of Trump other than his use of foul language and s-xual language. The fact that a leader who is getting press every day speaks this way is absolutely relevant to this thread. It is much harder to convince a kid that this sort of speech is unacceptable if a presidential candidate, and certainly a president-elect, speaks in this manner.

Post Thu, Dec 15 2016, 4:25 pm
JoyInTheMorning wrote:
eema of 3 wrote:
Quote:

This has nothing to do with Trump or politics. I guarantee you this boy didn't wake up the morning after the election and say "hey, now I can speak on a vile manner because Trump won." There is no place for Trump bashing or politics in this conversation.

Eema of 3, Trump started running for president 18 months ago. He has been speaking this way since he started. Well, actually he has been speaking this way for 20 or 30 years, but once he started running, this style of speaking became something that kids heard on TV and other media. I have read several articles where teachers talk about the coarsening of dialogue in their classrooms since the start of the campaign.

I am not in this thread bashing any aspect of Trump other than his use of foul language and s-xual language. The fact that a leader who is getting press every day speaks this way is absolutely relevant to this thread. It is much harder to convince a kid that this sort of speech is unacceptable if a presidential candidate, and certainly a president-elect, speaks in this manner.

What about when the President lies about having zexual relations in the Whitehouse? "I did not have zexual relations with that women." Can the schools blame Clinton for when the boys lie? Or should they do what we hired them to do? Obama admitted to felony pot smoking and cocaine use. Isn't that a worse bad influence?

Moreover, it is ridiculous to blame Trump for any perceived increase in bad language. There has been a major uptick about what is considered offensive in the last couple of years because the PC crowd ran amok. The University of New Hampshire decided American is a bad word. Crazy, ghetto, handicapped, "you guys", wuss, crazy are also forbidden words in Macalester College. Of course some schools mandate "he" and "she" are offensive and the words should be replaced with ze.

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Dec 15 2016, 4:28 pm
JoyInTheMorning wrote:
eema of 3 wrote:
Quote:

Again, this has nothing to do with Trump. This boy didn't just wake up one morning and say "I'm going to talk like this." It's something that has been in the making. I think it is VERY wrong to turn this political. Are you now going to blame everything on Trump, the way people blame everything on Obama? He might have a horrible mouth, but this if NOT his fault!! This is about a boy and a school, nothing more.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Thu, Dec 15 2016, 7:17 pm
If there is a written or unwritten rule that one must not bring politics in any way into a thread on the Chinuch forum, I apologize. I did not previously have the impression that that was the case.

There is a difference between what you talk about and an action itself, but sometimes what is said *is* the action. It is viewing / observing an evil action that I think is particularly bad for children or teenagers. It is certainly bad for kids to hear that a president had fellatio performed on him by an intern; but it would be much worse to watch the video of that act. (Thankfully, I don't believe such a video exists.) It is bad to hear that a leading figure speaks profanely, but it is much worse to hear him use profane and vulgar words. Particularly when it happens so often.

I don't think you can deny that it is harder to argue against nivul peh -- something that happens to be a particular concern of mine -- when a leading figure uses it so frequently. I would say the same for a leading sports figure or figure in popular culture, but even more so for a candidate for president.

I didn't at all understand the remarks about political correctness. Do you think it's worse to be PC than to use profane and vulgar language? If so, why aren't we seeing threads from mothers worried about the PC kids in their kids' classes?

Orchid

Post Thu, Dec 15 2016, 8:48 pm
What a dumb turn.

Hillary took millions of dollars from foreign countries while she was SOS. Maybe that is why my neighbor's son thinks it's ok to bribe or demand bribes?
She deleted tens of thousands of incriminating emails that would get you or me in jail, had we done the same thing. Is that why my son started lying?

And what about the celebrities that Obama invited to the White House that use atrocious language, such as Jay Z. Maybe that's why this boy uses equally atrocious language?

Anyway, OP, this behavior is totally unacceptable (and not because of Trump, goodness gracious), so please put pressure on the administration.

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, Dec 15 2016, 10:09 pm
Orchid wrote:
What a dumb turn.

Hillary took millions of dollars from foreign countries while she was SOS. Maybe that is why my neighbor's son thinks it's ok to bribe or demand bribes?
She deleted tens of thousands of incriminating emails that would get you or me in jail, had we done the same thing. Is that why my son started lying?

And what about the celebrities that Obama invited to the White House that use atrocious language, such as Jay Z. Maybe that's why this boy uses equally atrocious language?

Anyway, OP, this behavior is totally unacceptable (and not because of Trump, goodness gracious), so please put pressure on the administration.

I know this is completely off topic but it is so, so bizarre to see the strange devotion of frum people to DJT and the insane demonization of Hillary. People have completely lost any sense of proportion.

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Dec 15 2016, 10:36 pm
amother wrote:
I know this is completely off topic but it is so, so bizarre to see the strange devotion of frum people to DJT and the insane demonization of Hillary. People have completely lost any sense of proportion.

Orchid is not the one who took the thread off topic. Nor do I think she was demonizing Clinton. I think she was just making a ridiculous statement to show how ridiculous the other one was.

Post Thu, Dec 15 2016, 11:13 pm
JoyInTheMorning wrote:

I didn't at all understand the remarks about political correctness. Do you think it's worse to be PC than to use profane and vulgar language? If so, why aren't we seeing threads from mothers worried about the PC kids in their kids' classes?

The remark about political correctness was in response to your saying about teachers saying there was an increase in offensive language since Trump began running. My point was that there has been an enormous increase in what is now considered offensive because of the PC crew the last couple of years.

Your question which is worse is a tough one. I find PCers are too controlling and lack common sense when they start their craziness. Whoops! I can't say crazy. Not PC.

OTOH vulgarity and profanity offend me as well.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics