Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Have I been eating treif all these years?!
Previous  1  2

su7kids

Post Mon, Jul 16 2007, 7:21 pm
amother wrote:
I'm the OP:

My lunches were in bags, but not sealed with tape or whatnot. If it was a cold-cut sandwich, it would be in a plastic bag and then in a paper bag. If it was something to be heated up, it was just in the container and in a shopping bag - again not sealed in any way (except a simple overhand knot in the bag handles)

(Of course I wrapped the container twice before microwaving it. I just can't believe that despite that it was treif all along. Sad )

The idea is that treif raw (or even cooked) meat doesn't look any different than Kosher meat, unless you put a sign on it. The bag that had your name on was a sign, the double wrap is a sign. I.e. if someone lifted it up and said "Who's bag is this, marked Amother?" you could have said "Its mine" (or at least someone who eats kosher would have said so, cos most people called Amother on this site are Jewish!!!)

Identifiable is the answer.

brooklyn

Post Tue, Jul 17 2007, 9:01 am
amother wrote:
if u didn't seal it, I wouldnt be surprized if a co-worker did switch your kosher food for treif food at some point if for no reason other than a practical joke. They do that, you know.

Who do you work with, preschoolers?

greenfire

Post Tue, Jul 17 2007, 9:07 am
so did anybody bother asking a rav ... just curious ...

and yeah is it a treif restaurant where potheads spit in the salad ... come on now ...

greentiger

Post Tue, Jul 17 2007, 9:11 am
If you would notice that it has been tampered with then it shouldn't have been a problem especially bidieved. If you had a certain spread on your sandwich or the meat looks different then it could be okay.
Also like mama bear said, it's NOT treif, it's basar shnisalam min haayin. In the future just make sure to have a siman on it (I believe a twistie tied a specific way is fine) where you could tell if it's been tampered with.

What's done is done and freaking out now isn't gonna change anything.

Mrs. XYZ

Post Tue, Jul 17 2007, 11:24 am
No you have not been eating treif all these years. But for future years you should be more careful.

I always wonder- people who have maids, babysitters, cleaning help.... and leave them home alone, do they all make sure that ALL the meat, chicken, fish, and wine in the house is locked or sealed??
I know someone who was told to get a tv monitoring system throughout the house for this reason, and the maid knows about it, and they can check up on her all the time.

amother

Post Tue, Jul 17 2007, 12:07 pm
I want to start by saying this is diff than treif & I'm not saying this to freak anyone out.But this is s/t to be taken seriously.My dh friend was on a flight (Idon't remember all the details) but he had a deli sandwich & got up to wash.When he came back either he had opened & didn't realize or seatmate had opened, a little fuzzy on the story.Anyway he wouldn't eat the sandwich.Seatmate noticed & asked why.He said thaat he keeps kosher & he won't eat any meat that had been opened. The seatmate,not Jewish looked shocked.He then admited that he always wanted to taste kosher meat & reazing that he must keep kosher he switched apiece of deli.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Tue, Jul 17 2007, 4:04 pm
amother above me, are you sure that happened to your husband? b/c I've heard this story before...........\

original amother, did you ask a rov?

I work in a school that the non jews distribute the lunch to the classes. 1x a week is deli.....I always wondered why it was okay for them to be left with it?!? I don't eat it, anyway, but I still wonder

amother

Post Tue, Jul 17 2007, 5:25 pm
It most definitly did not happen to dh. I said his friend.

technic

Post Tue, Jul 17 2007, 5:37 pm
BrachaVHatzlocha wrote:
amother above me, are you sure that happened to your husband? b/c I've heard this story before...........\

me 2 - in a hashgacha pratit book I think...

greenfire

Post Tue, Jul 17 2007, 6:40 pm
lol - this is a common maise - don't know if it belongs to bubbie or not ... Scratching Head Rolling Laughter

batya_d

Post Tue, Jul 17 2007, 9:43 pm
Mrs. XYZ wrote:

I always wonder- people who have maids, babysitters, cleaning help.... and leave them home alone, do they all make sure that ALL the meat, chicken, fish, and wine in the house is locked or sealed??
I know someone who was told to get a tv monitoring system throughout the house for this reason, and the maid knows about it, and they can check up on her all the time.

the reason for video monitoring was to make sure she didn't open the meat?!? That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. If it were to monitor for theft, or child abuse/neglect, that I could understand...

TzenaRena

Post Tue, Jul 17 2007, 9:53 pm
BrachaVHatzlocha wrote:

original amother, did you ask a rov?

I work in a school that the non jews distribute the lunch to the classes. 1x a week is deli.....I always wondered why it was okay for them to be left with it?!? I don't eat it, anyway, but I still wonder

In one preschool that I know of, the custodian is left in the building after everyone leaves, and the kitchen staff was told tht they have to lock the refrigerator, it was after a mashgiach was brought to check things, that they were told this.

But, Bracha, it sounds like they are distributing the food while the staff is there, and that's not the same thing.

BTW, it's not only meat that has such a din, although maybe more strict, but unsealed fish and dairy products can be problematic too.

Dini

Post Tue, Jul 17 2007, 9:54 pm
batya_d wrote:
Mrs. XYZ wrote:

the reason for video monitoring was to make sure she didn't open the meat?!? That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. If it were to monitor for theft, or child abuse/neglect, that I could understand...

Why, whats the dif?

Mrs. XYZ

Post Wed, Jul 18 2007, 12:12 am
batya_d wrote:
Mrs. XYZ wrote:

Is a watch or tablecloth more important to you than eating treife meat?!?

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Wed, Jul 18 2007, 9:00 pm
in the school I work in, the staff is all there - correct. However, they have a separate room (kitchen) where they separate the food onto the carts for each class.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics